What Makes Peppermint Oil Beneficial?

LittleLuxe

Is it the menthol content within the oil?

For instance I found this from a website:

"The menthol content of peppermint oil determines the quality of its essential oil. This varies depending upon climate, habitat, and where the peppermint is grown. For instance, American peppermint oil contains 50–78% menthol, while English peppermint oil has a menthol content of 60–70%. Japanese peppermint oil contains 85% menthol."

I ask because I was recently introduced to several different types of peppermint oil and had the option of buying different kinds but before I put any money down I wanted to be sure I was buying what was most beneficial.

Would a higher menthol count be the best or what? I

Thanks in advance!

virtuenow

I don't know. I think most people here use the regular peppermint oil. That's what I use, the Wow brand, and it gives good tingle. I have never heard anyone mention the percentages or the Japanese kind. I should note, I have heavily researched peppermint oil over the last 3 weeks in ordedr to make my own hair oil concoction. Apparently Peppermint oil is pretty popular for the thinning nape/crown breakage to stimulate growth; mixed w/jojoba oil or some other "carrier" oil. Start your search.

LittleLuxe

Thanks so much virtuenow. I think I'll experiment once I finish my current bottle of essential peppermint oil (American version I'm guessing) and see how it compares to the other two. I know one can have peppermint sensitivity and I'd be curious to see the cause/effects vs. what you have to put up with excessive tingling or an overly strong scent. etc.

Either way I'm very curious now.

Angelicus

I know about the menthol content but this is the first time I've ever seen it break down like this. Whatever you do, don't use too much.

Aviah

I use normal peppermint oil from the BSS. Its pretty strong and I am sure its not 85%. Makes a great tingling sensation on my scalp, however the scent can be too strong if used pure.

LushLox

You shouldn't use any essential oil pure, it should always be mixed with a carrier oil otherwise it will irritate your scalp. It's very good when mixed with an oil like JBCO to really work on thinning edges.

Angelicus

You shouldn't use any essential oil pure, it should always be mixed with a carrier oil otherwise it will irritate your scalp. It's very good when mixed with an oil like JBCO to really work on thinning edges.
Yea, I hope no one is using this straight from the bottle.

LittleLuxe

Thanks for the concern and interest ladies!

Don't worry I'm a newbie so every venture is done with caution and frequent terror at end up bald. Can't afford to lose anymore hair that I don't have.

Tonight was my wash night: Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner after my poo and pre-poo (first time using that stuff and it was FAN-TASTIC, I see what all the type was about), then deep conditioned with ORS Olive Oil Deep Conditioner mixed with Jamaican Black Castor Oil and Peppermint Oil. I probably mixed in a little too much of the Peppermint Oil (completely slipped my mind the consistency would be much different from the JBCO until I already had a nice puddle in my bowl) but nothing bad happened.

The tingling was pleasant and the only bad effects were my eyes watering when I removed my shower cap, the sensation was temporary and my scalp had no issues. The only thing I've ever done straight was dapping some oil on my finger and lightly patting my slightly thin temples.

As I continue to analyze the whole different menthol content I'm thinking higher would be better though the key is not to go overboard.

Question: Does anyone know if you can use peppermint oil in your deep conditioner after a relaxer? Like I said I'm cautious. I don't have another relaxer for weeks but um...mama don't play that, lol. Let me know now before I forget and have a burning scalp.