What kinda curl pattern is this?

krikit96

And SEE!? THIS is exactly what I've been complaining about! I could just punch a wall right now I am soooo sick of this!

I clearly see on this wet hair, a pattern of either a 3c or 4a. Right, fine, okay. BUT This hair that surrounds my curl like a dayum COCOON is frizzy and shriveled with NO pattern at all, RIGHT AROUND THE CURL... WTF IS THAT????? THIS is why I can't get a wash n go to work right for me - this hair is completely wet, no product... MAYBE a lil condish left in... AND ALL OVER MY HEAD is this STUPID HAIR that won't do a dayum thing! It just frizzes above ALL MY CURLS... WHY??? What am I doing WRONG?

I have been a member here since 2008 and I should UNDERSTAND my hair by now, I SHOULD KNOW what's going on, I need some help, PLEASE???

hair curl frizz 2.jpg

hair curl frizz 3.jpg

hair curl frizz.jpg

nerdography

Re: WTF kinda curl pattern is THIS shyte???

My hair does that too. I'm a 3C/4A/4B mix. I gave up on wash-n-gos because my hair would just form buds and start locing.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing

That's just how it is, OP. We all may have multiple textures on our heads. The few times I wear a wash 'n go, my curls are hardly ever uniform...and I still get frizz. Just roll with the punches and continue to do what methods work best on your hair. Trying to understand why you have multiple textures will only make you go crazy, lol.

greenandchic

That is normal frizz. Using a good finisher is the only way to keep it at bay.

nlamr2013

Looks like frizz but also kinda looks like a tighter curl pattern I can't really tell. Though I agree pay it and do twist outs lol

krikit96

GOSH... this is soooooo depressing and disheartening. I have been wanting to wear wash n go's forever! It was one of the things I thought going natural would be an extra benefit - the ability to just do a simple easy style and go... BUT this is killing me!

I even did that dayum porosity test, my hair sat on top of the water at first... like I had to push it INTO the water but as soon as I did that... BAAAAYBEEEE it sank so fast it was like the cup had a drain at the bottom of it!

So I've been trying alllllllll this stuff to get my hair some ack rite! Thinking its because I MUST have high porosity hair and blah blah blah... You mean there is no fixing this frizz, huh? What's the point in having this curl pattern if I can't do anything WITH it? I am just beside myself - all the products I've spent money on and tried, with no good results... HOW do the youtubers get it to work for them??? I feel like such a LOSER!!!

Gosh!!!:sad:

oneastrocurlie

GOSH... this is soooooo depressing and disheartening. I have been wanting to wear wash n go's forever! It was one of the things I thought going natural would be an extra benefit - the ability to just do a simple easy style and go... BUT this is killing me!

I even did that dayum porosity test, my hair sat on top of the water at first... like I had to push it INTO the water but as soon as I did that... BAAAAYBEEEE it sank so fast it was like the cup had a drain at the bottom of it!

So I've been trying alllllllll this stuff to get my hair some ack rite! You mean there is no fixing this frizz, huh? What's the point in having this curl pattern if I can't do anything WITH it? I am just beside myself - all the products I've spent money on and tried, with no good results... I feel like such a LOSER!!!

Gosh!!!:sad:

I've read the water porosity test isn't all that accurate. Plus you pushed it lol. I'm guessing after force it'll naturally sink. Maybe it's more about techniques you use?

ETA http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2013/01/junk-science-hair-porosity-tests-float.html?m=1

krikit96

Looks normal to me. Only Jesus and unicorns have a single hair type on their head lol. J/K.....Kinda.

cwmarie - Lol... you made me smile with that "Jesus & Unicorns" comment... I'm really sitting here pouting and frustrated... I need to lighten up but I have just tried to do EVERYTHING I could think of...

ChristmasCarol

You are not alone!
Only thing I've found to make my hair look somewhat uniform is Paul Mitchell "The Cream" leave-in mixed with Eco Olive Oil gel. But, I still have to scrunch the front repeatedly and sometimes that doesn't even work. My crown and front are 3b/c wavy (looks like ramen), while the sides and nape are 3c/4a.

It was a minute before I realized that my favorite YT gurus had one thing I didn't - a fairly consistent curl pattern. All the product and technique in the world won't make my hair look like theirs. :ohwell:

krikit96

I've read the water porosity test isn't all that accurate. Plus you pushed it lol. I'm guessing after force it'll naturally sink. Maybe it's more about techniques you use?

ETA http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2013/01/junk-science-hair-porosity-tests-float.html?m=1

cwmarie - true... and this article DID make sense... who the heck KNOWS, I just figured since I have all the frizz and quite a few of the other characteristics, I must be hi po - my hair MUST be damaged or SOMETHING! Sheesh!

One I have in mind is Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle. You glide it on your hair in your final step.

greenandchic - I keep reading about this curl junky... is that something you get online or is there a store where they are currently?

overtherainbow

Welcome to having both coily and curly hair. The majority of my hair is coily, but I have these random patches of curls that come with a family of frizz attached. It's all part of the package.
Honestly, I was too side tracked by how moisturized and shiny your twists look. I wouldn't even worry about the frizzies. As for wash n gos, I stand by the Anthony Dickey Method. I think it's a good place to start.

krikit96

You are not alone!
Only thing I've found to make my hair look somewhat uniform is Paul Mitchell "The Cream" leave-in mixed with Eco Olive Oil gel. But, I still have to scrunch the front repeatedly and sometimes that doesn't even work. My crown and front are 3b/c wavy (looks like ramen), while the sides and nape are 3c/4a.

It was a minute before I realized that my favorite YT gurus had one thing I didn't - a fairly consistent curl pattern. All the product and technique in the world won't make my hair look like theirs. :ohwell:

Yes, see... my hair in the absolute FRONT of my head, is like 3b... and it's growing from my scalp that way... it makes ALL my puffs look weird, because my hair is straighter like that in the front... GOSH... Be 4a or 4b or 3c or 3b... but not ALLL these things at once, this is just CRAZY!

hair6.jpg

hair8.jpg

hair7.jpg

hair10.jpg

krikit96

Welcome to having both coily and curly hair. The majority of my hair is coily, but I have these random patches of curls that come with a family of frizz attached. It's all part of the package.
Honestly, I was too side tracked by how moisturized and shiny your twists look. I wouldn't even worry about the frizzies. As for wash n gos, I stand by the Anthony Dickey Method. I think it's a good place to start.

overtherainbow - I found a bunch of his products at my bss, but maybe my technique is what the problem is... I've watched a video where he did this girls hair and it came out perfect... But I obviously am not using his products OR doing something else right, because what you see here is what I keep getting... It's embarrassing and I end up putting it up in a high puff or throwing a head band around it and pushing it back...

Hair Rules.jpg

Then again, maybe it's NOT my technique... maybe it's just my hair

Last edited:

Rae81

My hair in the front is straighter and my crown is like your hair frizzy and the sides and nape are perfect. I also thought the hair in my crown was damaged but I'm not sure. when I have conditioner in it, my crown looks like the rest of my hair with no friz but once I rinse it out it and it dries it gets frizzy

FoxxyLocs

I have no less than 5 different curl patterns on my head. I gave up on wash and go's yearrrrrs ago. I get great twist outs though. I also got good puffs with short hair, but had to stop when it got longer. Just don't fight your curl pattern and do what allows you to do. It'll make your life easier.

1QTPie

Elder Sim

The only way I can control frizz is to saturate my hair with some sort of styler (gel, mousse, creme, etc) while it's super wet and clumped and letting it air dry.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥

I have lots of different curl sizes, and I don't let it hold me back! lol so don't let this hold you back either. Keep taking care of your hair, and roll with the punches. It looks like you have a little heat damage (I could be wrong) so try to limit heat for a couple of months and see how that helps :3 Either way, frizz is okay, multiple textures are okay, it's allll okay lol

beanie44

I also have multiple curl patterns and I get a lot of frizz. Two methods I tried that made them more defined.

1. The time consuming one is the Teri LaFlesh tightly curly method (you can find it online), the curls can last for a week). 2. I used Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper, it's slippery like water, first hair should be wet to clump into curls, I used a tee shirt on hair to squeeze out excess water, hair should still be damp, next put leavin conditioner in, then I put the Curl Keeper over that. It took my hair all day to dry to the roots but next day curls were defined and very little frizz. (I put hair in pine apple over night).

I just wanted to see if it was possible for me to get my hair to be without frizz, these two methods are the only thing that worked for me. Most of the time I just let my frizz be.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie

I only have two curl patterns on my head 99 % 4a and 1% 4b above the ears.

Even my best WnG has frizz halo around it. Even if every strands was completely flat and defined , after it dries, I fluff it out.

I've accepted that is what my hair does,

Henna , Amla and clay washes help but in the end, it is what it is.

Avyn

Hi porosity hair tends to not respond to A LOT of products. Ive tried so many and never get the results people describe. Have you been over to the Hi porosity hair thread?

Amarilles

I have lots of different curl sizes, and I don't let it hold me back! lol so don't let this hold you back either. Keep taking care of your hair, and roll with the punches. It looks like you have a little heat damage (I could be wrong) so try to limit heat for a couple of months and see how that helps :3 Either way, frizz is okay, multiple textures are okay, it's allll okay lol

I was also noticing the traces of heat usage.

OP you could try not using direct heat for awhile. A break won't change much on the hair that is already loosened, but direct heat can cause more and more frizz since some hair loosens and some doesn't...so where there would be a curl clump one could end up with both loosened hair and shrinky hair, resulting in a frizzy clump.

Not that our hair isn't frizzy to begin to begin with! It definitely does not need any additional "help". :lol: Good luck!

McQuay30

What is the best way to test for porosity? I may have hi instead of low.

Sent from my SM-G900V using LHCF

BostonMaria

Yes, see... my hair in the absolute FRONT of my head, is like 3b... and it's growing from my scalp that way... it makes ALL my puffs look weird, because my hair is straighter like that in the front... GOSH... Be 4a or 4b or 3c or 3b... but not ALLL these things at once, this is just CRAZY!

I have a section of 3b in the front and it looks crazy with the rest of the 3c hair. Drives me crazy too.

InsertCleverNameHere

I have multiple patterns on the same strand like that chunk. In fact, when my hair started growing in nearly straight last year I wrote a thread about it because it was so dumb to me. It ended up being directly related to iron levels...and now each strand alternates hair types 4x back and forth :lol:

I've found this much harder to deal with than when I was just dealing with multiple textures in different parts if my head, so if it's just heat damage, it's probably a good thing because you can just clip it off and be done with it.

krikit96

Hi porosity hair tends to not respond to A LOT of products. Ive tried so many and never get the results people describe. Have you been over to the Hi porosity hair thread?

Hi Avyn - Yes, ma'am... I've been in that Hi po thread for about 3 weeks now... and any OTHER thread that even mentions hi porosity...

I was also noticing the traces of heat usage.

OP you could try not using direct heat for awhile. A break won't change much on the hair that is already loosened, but direct heat can cause more and more frizz since some hair loosens and some doesn't...so where there would be a curl clump one could end up with both loosened hair and shrinky hair, resulting in a frizzy clump.

Not that our hair isn't frizzy to begin to begin with! It definitely does not need any additional "help". :lol: Good luck!

Amarilles - I haven't used heat (like a flat iron) on my head in at least a year. It's coming from my scalp this way... I mean, My last perm was 2011... I chopped off all that hair... the only thing I've used is a hand held blowdryer... and that was with protectant. Even when I used to flat iron, it would only be once every 3 weeks or so, and I used two different protectants then as well... Loosened and shrunken hair all in the same patch is the devil!

whiteoleander91 - I really haven't used any heat... I've been airdrying and whatnot... haven't used a flat iron all year... and my blowdrying (as well as any other heat) I use two protectants on my head... shouldn't this help? I mean, if it grows out like this, then it just does... you're right, it's all okay... but it wasn't expected at ALL... and I need to find a hair twin... cuz I'm lost on how to make my hair look neat.

I have multiple patterns on the same strand like that chunk. In fact, when my hair started growing in nearly straight last year I wrote a thread about it because it was so dumb to me. It ended up being directly related to iron levels...and now each strand alternates hair types 4x back and forth :lol:

I've found this much harder to deal with than when I was just dealing with multiple textures in different parts if my head, so if it's just heat damage, it's probably a good thing because you can just clip it off and be done with it.

InsertCleverNameHere - I have an iron deficiency as well... I'm extremely cold all the time, I couldn't even donate blood before because I was borderline anemic...I wonder if this can be the case??? But I wish it were just heat damage, cuz like you said, I'd grow it out and clip it off... !!!