What is your cut off time to wash your hair?

Bnster

Ladies,

Tonight I wanted to wash my hair, but it is now 8:32pm. I know that washing, d/c, porosity control, ACV my hair will take about 3hrs. Then I need to moisturize, seal and then air dry (2hrs+). So looking at the time, I am opting out until tomorrow morning. I love my hair washing time (Me Time) and really don't want to rush it.

Do you have a cut off time? What is the lastest time you would consider washing your hair? I never thought about it until now.

I think for me it is 7:30pm and pushing to 8 pm the lastest. If at 8pm, I would shorten my d/c timing - which I try to avoid.

On the weekends I have to start early. Today was a wash day so I started at 7 this morning. Detangling took 1 hr, then washing was 30 mins ( in the shower). I then DC after that, so I can do my errands with a cap,scarf and hat on for the heat.

So its an all day process for me at least. Hence I only do this once a week when my hair is not in braids, twists or any other protective style.

I understand, I always do a bad job when I wait too late to wash my hair. Usually after 8p I don't bother. It doesn't take me long to wash but I like to leave my DC on for a while.

2 hrs before bedtime - I cannot dry my hair overnight I need to feel dry and comfortable by the time my head hits that pillow.

On the weekends I have to start early. Today was a wash day so I started at 7 this morning. Detangling took 1 hr, then washing was 30 mins ( in the shower). I then DC after that, so I can do my errands with a cap,scarf and hat on for the heat.

So its an all day process for me at least. Hence I only do this once a week when my hair is not in braids, twists or any other protective style.

Wow - thats a process - is your hair natural. I guess this is one of the benefits of having fine (i.e. not thick hair) it takes you all of 10 minutes to detangle.....:ohwell:

I would think cut off time is about 6pm because I have to get the little ones together. But I washed today at about 10am :)

Cute thread.

I work 15-16 hour days sometimes, and especially in the summer time, I want to come home and wash my hair. Especially with the job that I have, being outside all the time.

But sometimes it isn't possible. If I'm not home in the shower washing my hair by at least 730pm, it just isn't going to get done.

I don't really have a cut off time. If it needs to be washed that night, it is going to get done no matter what! I've been under the dryer at 2am on more than one occasion.

If I am really tired/pressed for time, I will DC on dry hair overnight and do a quick wash in the morning. Or I may wash in the morning and instead of DCing under the dryer, I will put on a wig and hat and DC under that while I run my errands.

My hair typically takes 20 minutes to cowash and shower, then I apply a deep conditioner for 1 hour and rinse back in the shower, that about a 1.5 total..........Then I detangle and style in twist which takes about 30 mintues and I air dry...........So my total time is 2 hours give or take a little. My cut off time is 11 p.m.

I would say 7 p.m. because it takes about 3.5 total hours for me to wash and DC (1 hr), rollerset (1 hour) and sit under the dryer (1.5 hrs).

I try and wash it by 3PM on the weekends so that I can go out later if I want. But sometimes it's late and my hair is screaming to be washed so i'll give in... no later than 9 or 10PM though.

I start up early in the morning, so normally, it's a non-issue.
But if for whatever reason, it's been pushed to the evening, then my cut-off to start is 9 pm, unless I have free time the next morning.
If I do, then I'll skip the shampoo, do my protein treatment, and then sleep in the deep conditioner. In the morning, I'll rinse as soon as I get up, and then go about the rest of my routine.

Good question! It's almost 3am and I'm still finishing up from washing my hair from about 9pm. This is ridiculous! From now on, my cut off time will be 6pm.

It depends. Last night I washed my hair at like 1 am. But I just washed it, put the conditioner it and slapped a plastic bag and my bonnet on it and went to sleep. I finished it up this morning.

weekends I wash it maybe around 1pm or atleast try too... week days.. If I do wash my hair it's usually on the days I get off around 7pm or 9pm.. nothing after that...

up to two hours ago (1am) I was still thinking to start the process...but I know that would have been a real bad idea, so instead I'll do it in the morning.
Normally I'd say my cut off would be around 8pm.

I like this thread, good to know I'm not the only one that spends around 3hrs doing my hair. For me the cut off time is 7:30 if I don't get started before than than I will just oil my hair and wash it the next day.

Thanks for the responses! It was just a thought and I was interested in what others may do. Wow such dedication 1 am and those still working on their hair at 3am.

I started to wash my hair this afternoon a little after 12pm. I am dcing now while typing. Have another 1/2hr of dcing. Then my other steps, I think I should finish by 3pm and then my air drying.

Today it is not to nice outside and no plans, so I can afford my me time now.

Last edited:
Well for me.. I usually do mine every Saturday, but now may have to switch to Sundays... I like to get it done with in the morning.

I would say that 7 pm is the deadline. I'm natural and my wash process usually takes about 3 hours

- co wash and 15 min light protein condition
- rinse and moisture DC for a few hours (usually about 2)
- detangle (usually takes about 30 minutes)
- rinse and add leave in and the added extras.
- usually air dry overnight but it's NEVER dry by the morning

And to think I do this twice a week, I MUST be crazy!

It depends on what I'm doing to it. If I'm twisting it, then I need to start by 2 pm, preferably earlier so I can take breaks. If I'm just bunning it, then I can start around 4-5 pm, to give a little drying time if I want to go out. My routine is:

pre-oil hair
wash
DC under steam
acv rinse
twist or bun

The twisting just takes a long time for me to do, which is why I have to start early.

If I were to be doing a rollerset then I wouldn't start any later than 8pm, if I'm airdying then I don't really have a cut off time.

I usually do my hair on the weekends, especially in the colder months. I'm in Texas so cold is relative! If I don't do it on Friday, then I will do it on Sunday nights. I usually don't get started on either nite until about 7-9pm. I'm under the dryer now...drying my weave! My total process time varies. With the weave it only takes about 2 hours total. And that's assuming that I flat iron, which I am going to do. If I just prepoo, wash, dc, and set, I'm done in about 1 hour. With my own hair completely out, it takes about 3 hours as well. I usually do my chores while in between steps, so it doesn't seem as long.

I don't have a cut off time. In the summer when its hot as hell I'll jump in the shower at 3:00am to cool off if I have to LOL

I usually wash on Friday evenings after the day is over. If I'm henna'ing I will use clarifying poo in the shower, apply the henna then go to bed - start time cut-off 10 pm. I rinse the henna, dc, and by this time I'm so tired of dealing with my hair, I bun and KIM.
No henna, I either prepoo with oil and got to bed (cut of time to start 11 pm) and continue Sat. morning or apply deep conditioner to dry hair and go to bed. If hubby insists on coloring, I go thru the hair regi on Sat. morning in between chores.
If I co-wash mid week, cut off time to start 9 PM. I usually wet bun then do a braid out the following evening on damp hair.

Last edited:
I DC on dry hair for like 30 mins before I get into the shower, I get so lazy to mix my dc because i add oil and honey
so i try to start before 10
I dc, then detangle then rollerset then dry my rollerset with the bonnet dryer for a bit then sleep with my rollers
it takes awhile, but im a night owl so...
I still try to give myself a cut off time though

If I haven't done it by 5-6p then yeah, it's probably gonna have to wait til the next day.

Back