What is a Carrier Oil?

A

AmilLion

Vegetable carrier oils are more than just vehicles for essential oils, as they often have health-giving qualities of their own. Choosing the appropriate carrier oil will add considerably to the dynamic nature of a massage and can have specific benefits, such as helping to guard against heart disease or inflammatory diseases such as arthritis. They can also help to boost the immune system. Vegetable oils are made up from essential fatty acids and contain the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, and E. Some vegetable oils also contain large amounts of gamma linoleic acid (GLA), useful for the treatment of PMS. The fatty acid compounds help to reduce blood cholesterol levels and strengthen cell membranes, thereby slowing down the formation of fine lines and wrinkles and helping the body to resist attack from free radicals. Heat-treated oils lose some of their nutritional value, so always use a cold pressed, unrefined vegetable oil as a base oil for the dilution of essential oils. Likewise, use a certified organic vegetable oil as this guarantees that no chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or fungicides have been used in its production. The darker the color and stronger the odor, the less refined the oil, so it will be richer in health-giving properties. The following oils can be used on their own, or as a carrier oil for essential oils. Once they are opened, keep them in the refrigerator.

Different Carrier Oils
<ul type="square">
[*]Almond Sweet
[*]Aloe Vera
[*]Aloe Vera Gel
[*]Apricot Kernel
[*]Arnica
[*]Avocado Pear
[*]Black Currant Seed
[*]Borage Seed
[*]Calendula
[*]Camellia
[*]Canola
[*]Carrot
[*]Castor
[*]Coconut 76 deg.
[*]Coconut 92 deg.
[*]Comfrey
[*]Corn
[*]Cottonseed
[*]Emu
[*]Evening Primrose
[*]Flaxseed
[*]GrapeSeed
[*]Hazelnut
[*]HempSeed
[*]Jojoba (best for the hair)
[*]Kukui Nut
[*]macadamia Nut
[*]Neem
[*]Olive Oil Pomace
[*]Olive Oil Refined
[*]Palm
[*]Palm Kernel
[*]Passion Flower
[*]Peanut
[*]Pecan
[*]Pistachio Nut
[*]Pumpkin Seed
[*]Rosehip
[*]Safflower
[*]Sesame
[*]Soya Bean
[*]St.John’s Wort
[*]Sunflower
[*]Turkey Red
[*]Vitamin E
[*]Walnut
[*]Wheatgerm [/list]

If you need properties, can furnish for the requested.

Additionally, please do your research regarding essential oils, because some can be harmful....ex. Those suffering w/High Blood Pressure should not use Rosemary, and Rosemary is one of the best oils to stimulate the scalp for hair growth!

BlkMane

Amilion,

Thanks for that article.

Once they are opened, keep them in the refrigerator.

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I didn't know that! I keep my grapeseed and jojoba oils in pantries! They have to be refrigerated?! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Jade21

Jojoba oil has a shelf-life into infinity. It's virtually rancid free. It does not need to be refrigerated and it's often a good idea to buy some and let it settle for as long as a year. It is one which gets better and better with time.

Grapeseed oil is a carrier oil which is always refined. If someone tries to sell you some which is unrefined, move on. Shelf-life can be as long as 8-10 months depending on storage, in or outside the refrigerator.

~Jade~

BlkMane

Thanks, Jade21! I don't have any room for them in the fridge anyway! I did some big time grocery shopping last weekend (so I can stay in from this arctic air as much as possible). /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tea

Thanks this was great info. I didn't know you were supposed to refrigerate carrier oils. I guess I better check on the olive oil I was keeping under my bathroom sink to make sure it has turned. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

A

AmilLion

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
BlkMane said:
Amilion,

Thanks for that article.

No problem, this is research that I acquired from websites as well as books....I have tons more. They begin to explain that why it's best to leave in frig vs. pantry and how vitamin E is a natural preservative.

Once they are opened, keep them in the refrigerator.

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I didn't know that! I keep my grapeseed and jojoba oils in pantries! They have to be refrigerated?! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]