Lesson 101 about Carrier Oils/Essential Oils (Very Long)

lthomas1

Hair Power!
I have recently start using a combination of carrier oils and essential oils on my hair and scalp. I especially love using them for my baggie method. Using oils have helped in maintaining length and keeping my ends in great shape and my roots strong.

What are Carrier Oils?

Carrier oils also referred to as base oils or vegetable oils are used to dilute essential oils, CO2s and absolutes before applying to the skin. They “carry” the essential oil onto the skin. Different carrier oils offer different properties and the choice of carrier oil can depend on the therapeutic benefit being sought.

Carrier oils are generally cold-pressed vegetable oils derived from the fatty portions of the plant. Unlike essential oils that evaporate and have a concentrated aroma, carrier oils do not evaporate or impart their aroma as strongly as essential oils.

Examples of carrier oils are sweet almond, apricot kernel, grapeseed, avocado, peanut, olive, pecan, macadamia nut, sesame, evening primrose, walnut and wheat germ. Most oils bought in the grocery store are not cold-pressed. Instead, the oils are heated and therefore have less therapeutic benefit. Mineral oil is not used in aromatherapy because mineral oil is not a natural product. It is also said that mineral oil can prevent essential oil absorption into the skin.

Essential oils do not go rancid. Carrier oils, however, can go rancid. Carrier oils that you purchase should be natural and unadulterated. Exceptions include buying carrier oils that have natural vitamin E added. Vitamin E acts as a natural preservative.

A detailed list of carrier oils:

Carrier Oils

Almond, Sweet
Botanical Name: Prunus amygdalus var. dulcusAroma:
Light, slightly sweet and nutty.
Texture: Slightly oily, leaves a slight oily feeling on the skin. Absorbs semi-quickly.
Color: Virtually clear with a tinge of yellow.
Notes: Sweet Almond oil is considered to be a good all-purpose carrier oil to keep on hand and is moderately priced.

Apricot Kernel
Botanical Name: Prunus armeniacaAroma:
FaintTexture: Somewhat oily, absorbs semi-quickly.
Notes: The semi-oily texture makes this oil helpful in massage blends.

Avocado
Botanical Name: Persea americanaAroma:
Medium. Somewhat sweet, fatty and nutty in aroma.
Texture: Thick, leaves a fatty, almost waxy feel to the skin.
Color: Deep olive green.
Notes: If not carefully used or used in a small dilution with another carrier, it may overpower a blend.

Borage
Botanical Name: Borago officinalisAroma:
Light and sweet.
Texture: Thin to medium, leaves a somewhat oily feel to the skin.
Color: Light yellow.
Notes: Is said to be excellent in treating many skin conditions. Borage oil is expensive and is usually blended in a small (often 10%) dilution with other carrier oils. It goes rancid rather quickly.

Cocoa Butter
Botanical Name: Theobroma cacaoAroma:
Unrefined cocoa butter is rich and very sweet . It has a chocolaty, "cocoa" aroma. The cocoa aroma is less noticeable in refined cocoa butter.
Texture: Solid and hard to work with at room temperate. Breaks into pieces.
Color: Yellowish tan.
Notes: Cocoa butter needs to be blended with other materials/oils to be workable. Suitable for use in lotions and creams.

Evening Primrose
Botanical Name: Oenothera biennisAroma:
Light and sweet
Texture: Thin, leaves only a trace of oiliness on the skin.
Color: Medium yellow.
Notes: Evening Primrose is also said to be excellent in treating many skin conditions. It is expensive and is usually blended in a small (often 10%) dilution with other carrier oils. It goes rancid quickly.

Grapeseed
Botanical Name: Vitus viniferaAroma:
Light, slightly sweet with a hint of a nutty aroma.
Texture: Thin but leaves a glossy film on the skin.
Color: Virtually clear, has an almost unnoticeable tinge of yellow/green.
Notes: Unlike most other carrier oils, grapeseed oil is solvent extracted and may have trace amounts of chemical solvent remaining. I have heard mixed reports on the shelf-life of grapeseed (some have said it goes rancid rather fast). I usually go through a bottle of grapeseed once each six months and have not discovered any problems with rancidity when stored in an amber bottle in a cool dark area.

Hazelnut
Botanical Name: Corylus avellanaAroma:
Light, nutty, somewhat sweet.
Texture: Thin and only leaves a slightly oily film on the skin.
Notes: It is said to be a good choice for those with oilier skin.

Jojoba
Botanical Name: Simmondsia chinensisAroma:
Light to medium in aroma, not as sweet as the nut oils. The aroma is distinct but pleasant.
Texture: Light and silky. Absorbs well.
Color: Yellow.
Notes: Jojoba "oil" is actually a wax. It is a somewhat pricier oil and is frequently blended in a small dilution (10%) with other oils. It has a very long shelf-life.

Kukui
Botanical Name: Aleurites moluccanaAroma:
Light, sweet, pleasant, nutty.
Texture: Thin. Absorbs well, leaving only a trace oily feeling on the skin.
Color: Clear with a hint of yellow.
Notes: It is said to be excellent in treating many skin conditions. It is a somewhat more pricier oil. It goes rancid rather quickly.

Macadamia Nut
Botanical Name: Macadamia integrifoliaAroma:
More fragrant than sweet almond and some of the other nut oils, it is very sweet, fatty and nutty in aroma.
Texture: Thick and leaves an oily film on the skin.
Color: Clear with a tinge of yellow.
Notes: If not carefully used or used in a small dilution with another carrier, it may overpower a blend.

Olive
Botanical Name: Olea europaeaAroma:
Typical aroma of olive oil used in cooking (smells somewhat like olives).
Texture: Heavy and rather oily.
Color: Light to medium green.

Peanut
Botanical Name: Arachis hypogeaeAroma:
Like Pecan, it is extremely light in aroma with a slight fatty, nutty quality.
Texture: Thick and leaves a very oily film on the skin.
Color: Virtually clear.
Notes: Peanut oil should not be used by anyone that has an allergy to peanuts. Because of it's oiliness, it is said to be a good choice for inclusion in massage blends. It has been said that it is a good oil to use for those with arthritis.

Pecan
Botanical Name: Carya pecanAroma:
Extremely light with a hint of a fatty, nutty aroma.
Texture: Medium thickness, leaves a slight oily film on the skin.
Notes: It is said that it goes rancid somewhat quickly. I have used only one bottle of Pecan oil and did not discover any problems with rancidity when stored in an amber bottle in a cool dark area during my use of the oil over about 4-6 months.

Rose Hip
Botanical Name: Rosa mosquetaAroma:
Mild and perhaps earthy aroma.
Texture: Light and leaves only a hint of oil on the skin.
Notes: It is said to be excellent in treating many skin conditions. It is expensive and is usually blended in a small (often 10%) dilution with other carrier oils. It goes rancid rather quickly.

Sesame
Botanical Name: Sesamum indicumAroma:
Medium with a distinctive sweet, nutty sesame scent. May overpower a blend if not diluted with another carrier oil.
Texture: Mildly thick, leaves an oily film on the skin.
Notes: Sesame oil may overpower a blend if not diluted with another carrier oil.

Shea Butter
Botanical Name: Butyrospermun parkiiAroma:
Nutty, fatty.
Texture: Solid but permeable at room temperature. Leaves an oily/waxy feeling on the skin.
Color: Off-white/cream.
Notes: Suitable for use in lotions and creams.

Sunflower
Botanical Name: Helianthus annuusAroma:
Faint and sweet.
Texture: Thin and does not leave an oily residue.
Notes: When choosing sunflower oil, strive to get unrefined oil.

What are Essential Oils?

An essential oil is a liquid that is generally distilled (most frequently by steam or water) from the leaves, stems, flowers, bark, roots, or other elements of a plant. Essential oils, contrary to the use of the word "oil" are not really oily-feeling at all. Most essential oils are clear, but some oils such as patchouli, orange and lemongrass are amber or yellow in color. Essential oils contain the true essence of the plant it was derived from. Essential oils are highly concentrated and a little goes a long way. Essential oils are not the same as perfume or fragrance oils. Where essential oils are derived from the true plants, perfume oils are artificially created fragrances or contain artificial substances and do not offer the therapeutic benefits that essential oils offer. Essential Oils are usually sold for individual use in very small bottles. Essential oils can vary greatly in quality and price. Various factors that can affect the quality and price of the oil include the rarity of the plant, country and conditions that the plant was grown, quality standards of the distiller, and how much oil is produced by the plant.

Essential Oils Alphabetized by Common Name:
These are some of the oils you may be familiar with listed below:
Carrot Seed
Cedarwood
Atlas Cedarwood
Chamomile
Cinnamon
Citronella
Eucalyptus
Ginger
Jasmine
Lavender
Lemongrass
Bitter Orange
Peppermint
Rosemary
Sandalwood
Spearmint
Tea Tree
Ylang Ylang

I hope this helps everyone understand the differences in the oils.

lthomas1

Hair Power!
You're welcome Carlie, Nonie, HoneyLemonDrop, Rushgirl, and DatJerseyDyme. Mixing different oils has done wonders for my hair. Especially nice to put in your baggie. My ponytail just loves it. I am retaining most of my new growth, and my ends look great. I have also add oils to my conditioners too.

caress

[ QUOTE ]
lthomas1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
caress said:
This is a really ood source of info on this subject:
http://www.aromaweb.com/

[/ QUOTE ]Actually this is the site that I got my information from, but I tried to shorten it because it was so much info.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh... This is the site where I get a lot of my info. It's been a while since I mixed oils though. Thanks for the info. It made me think about using essential oils for my thinning edges.