what hair type/texture is this, besides crazy

MsDeeD

Sorry no pics but can someone give me an idea of what texture it is and how to care for it. So I'll describe precisely, my 14 year your old has CRAZY HAIR. So here's her texture, wet it looks like a loose jheri curl (very pretty), almost like she has mixed hair, just wish it would stay this way, but once it dries it gets some shrinkage, looks more like a loose curly fro, but very dry. For the most part she does look like she has mixed hair (black&white parents) but I assure you were are not. Not to mention shes light skinned. It's a shame that once it dries it becomes a long loose dry fro. I have straightned it with maxi-glide many times and a few hours later starts frizzing up again into a mess, where she just ends up pulling it back into a pony tail. Once I took her to a salon and got it done. Wash, dry, conitioning treatment, blowdry, straightend. Very pretty bouncing and swangging everywhere she felt like a white girl LOL. Now about an hour or two later it started frizzing up right back to it's frizzy crazy mess, by the end of the day she had it pulled back into a pony tail again just to tame the frizzies, which the stylists swore with the frizz serum she used would help tame the frizzes . I spent $55 for nothing. :wallbash:. She actually cried. Never took her back to a hair dresser since. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!! I don't know what to do for her hair. I'm on the verge of getting a relaxer to tame her hair. What should I do. By the way, she loves the wet curly look how can I achieve this style. Right now we are trying carefree curl activator and moisturing lotion which is not giving her that curly look, that she wants, but at least it is moisturized.

Thanks,
"D"

Honestly, I don't think your description can truly help someone determine "hair type".

Also, you made several comments that are just not considered appropriate for LHCF society speak.

"mixed hair" "felt like a white girl". etc. LOL Girl, you have been here long enough to know that stuff that like are soooooo vauge and you cannot determine anything about someone's hair like that.

Sounds like your daughter has curly/wavy hair like so many of us here. There are different levels of curliness and most of us are at different levels or type 3 and 4, based on that whole "hair type" concept that has become so popular.

Anyway, if you really want to know the hair type based on other's opinions, a picture is better. Or you can just refer to this site: http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types I always like the descriptions they use.

I totally agree. black people have curly hair and its not considered mixed hair or white girl and u should put a pic up so we can see her texture. also in the search feature. seaech for natural hair styles or curly hair you should get some more threads..

The comment she felt like a white girl...umm...ok.

I don't know how old your daughter is for you to be considering a relaxer - but i cannot imagine her hair texture to be as bad as you are describing "it's frizzy crazy mess"

umm. to be honest ima leave this discussion before i get banned - again!

Sorry no pics but can someone give me an idea of what texture it is and how to care for it. So I'll describe precisely, my 14 year your old has CRAZY HAIR. So here's her texture, wet it looks like a loose jheri curl (very pretty), almost like she has mixed hair, just wish it would stay this way, but once it dries it gets some shrinkage, looks more like a loose curly fro, but very dry. For the most part she does look like she has mixed hair (black&white parents) but I assure you were are not. Not to mention shes light skinned. It's a shame that once it dries it becomes a long loose dry fro. I have straightned it with maxi-glide many times and a few hours later starts frizzing up again into a mess, where she just ends up pulling it back into a pony tail. Once I took her to a salon and got it done. Wash, dry, conitioning treatment, blowdry, straightend. Very pretty bouncing and swangging everywhere she felt like a white girl LOL. Now about an hour or two later it started frizzing up right back to it's frizzy crazy mess, by the end of the day she had it pulled back into a pony tail again just to tame the frizzies, which the stylists swore with the frizz serum she used would help tame the frizzes . I spent $55 for nothing. :wallbash:. She actually cried. Never took her back to a hair dresser since. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!! I don't know what to do for her hair. I'm on the verge of getting a relaxer to tame her hair. What should I do. By the way, she loves the wet curly look how can I achieve this style. Right now we are trying carefree curl activator and moisturing lotion which is not giving her that curly look, that she wants, but at least it is moisturized.

Thanks,
"D"

:nono:At The Bolded!!

It's impossible to say what her hair type is without a picture.

For most of us, our hair naturally grows outwards and is flatter when wet. That's just a fact of Black hair that we really can't do much about without chemicals.

With proper technique, flat ironed hair can stay straight for a week or so - but that also depends on the climate you live in etc.

On LHCF, we try to avoid likening our hair to white people's hair and instead talk about the texture as it is. A person any color can have straight hair or a super curly fro. All hair textures are pretty when well cared for.

For most of us with natural hair, a ponytail or bun is great for every day style. If her hair is long and natural, it's very difficult to wear it out/down daily.

I would suggest wearing a ponytail daily slicked back with water or gel and let the curls do their thing in the tail. Straightening the hair is fine for special occasions. I'm sure you'll find lots of suggestions for hair styles if you browse around this site.

Please don't fall into the "i'mma rile these *****'s up" trap. Do not pay attention to tom foolery, shenanigans, mischief, etc.

Anyways..... I'd definitely recommend the thread HoneyDew suggested. BUT I'd also recommend that OP do some reading (you can use the search feature) on proper care for wavy/curly hair. Her hair maybe dry from the wrong products/heat/lack of moisture etc. It's hard to diagnose the issue if we don't know what's going on. The texture of her hair is important but the regimen of what you do to maintain/take care of her hair (styling, products, heat,etc.) is what's really important... IMHO.

This is what I would do. :)

But I wouldn't put a relaxer in her hair. Find some really good tips and techniques on here for natural hair care(there are alot of curly girlies on here so you should find something to aid you both.) Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OK. To answer your question, I would guess that her texture is 3C, because her hair sounds like mine. When wet it's wavy ending in ringlets. If I brushed it out and dried it would simply get big and bushy.

If you want to define her curls, I'd suggest getting a wide tooth comb and combing her hair in the shower after you wash and condition it. Then apply something to define her curls, (I have used Re:Coil, Curly Pudding, CurlsRock, they're all good) and then let it dry, either air dry or under the dryer. Don't brush or comb it until you're ready to wash it again. To get looser curls, try 2 strand twists.

Thanks,
"D"

It sounds like you are really frustrated.

First, your daughter is at a really difficult age right now, being a teenager, and you need to be her biggest advocate. It seems like you are doing that by asking for help. But, by describing her hair as "crazy" and "a frizzy mess", you are only going to make her feel bad about her hair. Believe me, when family members talked about my hair and I heard them calling it nappy and a brillo pad it did not make me feel good.

Second, it's important that you and your daughter start accepting her hair for what it is instead of being disappointed by what it isn't. I'm sure her hair is BEAUTIFUL, whether it's a fro or straight. Everyone has different types of hair, and being "mixed" or "only black" really has nothing to do with it. Once you find out what products and techniques work for her hair, it will be less frustrating for you and her. But in order to do that you have to work with it (maybe it just likes being a fro) instead of against it.

Last, it sounds like neither you nor your daughter knows how to care for her hair as it is and putting a relaxer in her hair is not going to change that fact. The worst mistake you can make is applying a relaxer to her hair without any idea of how to take care of it. Take the time to learn how to care for her hair as it is now and you both will be much happier.

Take some time, read some natural threads, search products, pm people who have similar hair to your daughter's.

:look: Oh my oh my.

I'm not really into hair typing but I hope you figure it out. The site HoneyDew posted should help.

For most of us, our hair naturally grows outwards and is flatter when wet. That's just a fact of Black hair that we really can't do much about without chemicals.

With proper technique, flat ironed hair can stay straight for a week or so - but that also depends on the climate you live in etc.

On LHCF, we try to avoid likening our hair to white people's hair and instead talk about the texture as it is. A person any color can have straight hair or a super curly fro. All hair textures are pretty when well cared for.

For most of us with natural hair, a ponytail or bun is great for every day style. If her hair is long and natural, it's very difficult to wear it out/down daily.

I would suggest wearing a ponytail daily slicked back with water or gel and let the curls do their thing in the tail. Straightening the hair is fine for special occasions. I'm sure you'll find lots of suggestions for hair styles if you browse around this site.

oh...my...GOSH! youre added to my list of hair idols. those pictures of your hair is BEAUTIFUL

im green :sad:

Is this a joke? No offense OP, but most of what you posted reinforces a lot of negative stereotypes about black hair. I hope you embrace your daughter's hair regardless of the hair type.

Last edited:
awww i hope you figure out how to care for her hair. Also I agree that since you don't have any pics then maybe you could just look at other people's pics and see if someone kinda has the same hair as hers and ask them how they care for their hair. And I doubt her hair type is in the 1's but that's my opinion.

The comment she felt like a white girl...umm...ok.

I don't know how old your daughter is for you to be considering a relaxer - but i cannot imagine her hair texture to be as bad as you are describing "it's frizzy crazy mess"

umm. to be honest ima leave this discussion before i get banned - again!

I HEAR YOU! I mean DANG! doesnt that sound pittiful? :nono:

This post makes me extremely sad. Please help your daughter learn to love what God gave her instead of aspiring to have hair like a "white girl". Do some searches on the board. There are a lot of threads about styling curly hair.

So many things I want to say that will probably come out very harsh...so I will refrain.

Good luck with your daughter's hair.

I won't address the some of the obvious things already pointed out, but will say that without pics it is impossible to assist you.

The wording of your post is just :nono:

Relaxing her hair because it's frizzy and not like a white girls?? Well sorry, but she's not white, and it's ludicrous to expect her hair to be silky straight when that's not what God intended. Her hair is curly. Time to accept that and move on.

There's more than enough information on this board, all you gotta do is hit the search button. There have been more than enough posts and more than enough pictures of different hair types and how to care for each type for you to not know what you're doing.

You've been here over a year, you should know that slapping a relaxer on your dd's hair is not the answer. Relaxed hair needs a lot more care than natural hair. And if you're not willing to research how to take care of her horrible and unruly ( :rolleyes: ) natural hair, then you shouldn't even be thinking of resorting to relaxers :ohwell:

It sounds like you are really frustrated.

Take some time, read some natural threads, search products, pm people who have similar hair to your daughter's.

ITA with both of these posts (I edited to not hog up space).

My hair does exactly this - very smooth and wavy/curly when wet then it dries big and frizzy.

I have also found that just smooth it down and making a ponytail (puff) and letting what's loose curl up and be free. It really works well, requires very little manipulation and as long has you have a good moisturizing technique and don't band it too tightly, the hair will not get damaged. Braiding or twisting the hair then spritzing the ends with a moisture product before bed also helps keep the ends in great condition.

To control some of the frizz, you can use any curling product that works for her hair or just use a bit of conditioner on the exposed ends, spritz it and go.

You can also lightly blow dry (use the warm/cool setting) the hair until 85% dry then braid or twist for a stretched out braid/twist out look.

Bare with me as I assume OP hasn't been reading hairboards for long and does not come from a type 4,3 hair loving environment.:ohwell:

In real life this posed question would not be shocking at all, unfortunately for some it would be the norm. I commend the OP for taking the first and very brave step in posing the question to learn more about her daughter's hair. Unfortunately, given the wording, to best determine her hair type we would need to see it. Search threads for topics on moisture, cowashing, styling without heat, and heat protectants and this will lead you to more knowledge. Although her hair may seem a problem now to you both, you will find out very soon with some reading how very versatile it can be. Good luck!

Bare with me as I assume OP hasn't been reading hairboards for long and does not come from a type 4,3 hair loving environment.:ohwell:

In real life this posed question would not be shocking at all, unfortunately for some it would be the norm. I commend the OP for taking the first and very brave step in posing the question to learn more about her daughter's hair. Unfortunately, given the wording, to best determine her hair type we would need to see it. Search threads for topics on moisture, cowashing, styling without heat, and heat protectants and this will lead you to more knowledge. Although her hair may seem a problem now to you both, you will find out very soon with some reading how very versatile it can be. Good luck!

Yea...umm...I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt too...until I saw her May 2007 join date. Yea, yea, yea...I know that some people don't get really serious into the hair thing for a while, but she has been a member long enough, and has seen enough threads to know that the way that she is discussing her daughter's hair is going to provoke some kind of response. And I believe that is what she is looking for.

I would like to say THANK YOU to all of my lovely LHFC sistahs that have provided constructive feedback...ya'll make me want to be a better woman. I would also like to say THANK YOU to all of my LHCF sistahs that refrained from saying what you wanted to for the sake of the forum and this discussion. It's good to know I am not alone with my thoughts.

To the OP: I would suggest that you heed the advice of the previous posters and that you sincerely make an effort to understand the community (this forum) better. Trust me when I say that once you get on some people's cyber shyt list it's very hard, if not impossible, to get off. I have seen it happen one to many times, which is truly sad, since the ladies here have a wealth of information to impart.

uhm...i'll try to be nice. lol@ "almost like she has mixed hair". what exactly is mixed hair...show me and i will show YOU a black person with that natural texture. and they PROBABLY wont be light skinned, cause believe it or not there is not always a correlation b/w skin color and hair texture.

oh, and dont you put a relaxer in that baby's hair. makes me wonder if you are relaxed or natural. since you obviously have an LHCF subscription and have not been using it to research, let her do it. she's old enough to know how to use a search box. in the meantime, get some fantasia IC gel to slick down the front of her ponytail, stock your closet with conditioner so her hair doesn't dry out, and quit it with the heat, cause it seems you dont have the right "frizz serum". i am hoping for the best for her hair.

Back