What does mousse actually do?

lesedi

All is well with me
With my hair type 4a/b, I have never really used mousse. I bought some a couple of years ago (ORS wrap/set mousse), when i read on here that it could help with rollersets...it didn't for me. I came across it last night and now i'm natural, I'm wondering what mousse could really do for my styling.

Is it bad for hair? Please describe or post pics of 'moussed' do's:yep:
I am not understanding the difference between gel and mousse

mousse provides hold and set to any style. Just like gel, but it has a softer hold than gel, and doesn't give you the coated feel like gel. So you can use the mousse for twist outs, braid outs, wash n go, etc. Any style that needs hold, to help set a pattern.

and no mousse is only bad for the hair, if it contains alcohol. But the organic root stimulator mousse you have is fine.

Mousse is much much lighter than gel. Gel works for slicked down styles, while mousse is good for styles where u need movement. PERFECT for twistouts :yep:

I take equal parts mousse and cheapie conditioner as I make each flat twist (6 sections, maybe a nickel size amount of conditioner and a ping pong ball of mousse on each section) with dry or slightly damp hair.

Mousse is also good for pincurls at night to preserve rollersets

I'm in bed right now but I'll come back and post pics

Mousse gives me good curl definition, but it doesn't last past a day because the hold is so soft and the product is extremely lightweight, hence, mousse. The one I use is alcohol free. It's Elasta QP Design Foam. I haven't used it in a while; it might be time for a revisit!

Last edited:
I never liked mouse because it dried my hair out and I never knew how to use it. I think setting lotion is supposed to be the alternative. I love using Lottabody setting lotion on my twistouts. I included a pic of how it would turn out. So if you don't have any success with mousse, try setting lotion.

lisafb2-1.jpg

ETA: Oh and I know I have a weave in my siggy, but that's my hair up above. :grin:

I used mousse to wrap my hair when I was relaxed. Now I occasionally use it to rollerset or before blow drying. I used BB Wrap Lotion because it doesn't contain alcohol.

presently I use Motions mousse, I 'm able to wrap my hair better, however there is a slightly sticky feeling with this particualr brand...Think I will try ORS

Back