What do you use to smooth your edges?

tthreat08

Ladies,

I guess I missed the memo, but apparently you aren't supposed to use any gel when you smooth your edges?:ohwell:

Well I hadn't been using it at all, but started doing so lately. I was using QP Mango Butter to smooth down edges. The smell though wears on me. So, I started using QP Elasta Clear Gel. Need some alternatives. What do you use?

hair_wit_favor

I use water and shea butter detangling moisturizing lotion, brush it a lil' wit my boar brush and put my satin cap on overnight, and it's smooth by morning.

blackbarbie

Hi Hairtwin!!
Congrats on your wedding!!! I am going to :spank: you if you don't put that gel down!:grin:

I was going to suggest WGO but if you find the smell of the elasta qp mango butter offensive then I certainly think you will not like the smell of the WGO. The next alternative is (which is actually a better one to me) is Dabur Vatika Oil or any kind of coconut oil. It will keep your hair very soft and gives a nice shine.

ETA: I use NTM Silk Touch first and then seal the edges with the Vatika oil!

kiesha8185

I tie my hair back with a satin scarf after moisturizing with NTM Silk Touch and sealing with castor/amla/coconut oil mixture. I used to brush with natural boar bristle brush (wet hair) but after finding out hair damaging that is over time, I stopped doing that. I realized my edges weren't much flatter than when I brushed my wet hair first :ohwell: Oh, and I tie my hair back while it's still wet and let it airdry for 1-2 days.

Energee

When I need to I use Prive Detailing Pomade. It works great and it really moisturizes. The first ingredient is water and it also has castor oil as well. I buy mine from Earthsavers.com. It's really a great product that I learned about from a young woman on BHM last year (and part of this year) when I had a sewn in.

Andy1979

I use CD Healthy Hair Butter. A little pricey but I actually love the scent and since I only use it on my edges, it lasts a long time.
I brush it in before I go to sleep at night and tie a satin wrap over it.

Neroli

A little oil and water on palms, smooth over edges, then tie down snugly with satin scarf for at least an hour or longer (like over night if possible) = edges are flat and smooth. This works on freshly washed hair as well as on dry hair in between washes . . .

SelfStyled

Garnier Brillantine Shine Wax

Ditto:yep:! I saw that you posted this on another "edges" thread and I have been in love every since. I love the ingredients, the prices, it slicks my edges down+keeps them moisturized. I had to leave the mango butter down cause it was causing my edges to break:nono:.

tocthesunrise

In my quest to find something for my daughter's hair I found.....Just For Me Edge Cream. It works wonders for her and me!! Love it!!

Works well and enexpensive!! Definately a winner for me.

LovelyLionessa

Ditto:yep:! I saw that you posted this on another "edges" thread and I have been in love every since. I love the ingredients, the prices, it slicks my edges down+keeps them moisturized. I had to leave the mango butter down cause it was causing my edges to break:nono:.

That is a win-win product. :yep: Glad your hair likes it too, Mona Lisa hipped me onto it and my edges have been in hair heaven ever since. :drunk:

Evolving78

Ladies,

I guess I missed the memo, but apparently you aren't supposed to use any gel when you smooth your edges?:ohwell:

Well I hadn't been using it at all, but started doing so lately. I was using QP Mango Butter to smooth down edges. The smell though wears on me. So, I started using QP Elasta Clear Gel. Need some alternatives. What do you use?

I have a Keracare Hair stick that I used when I was relaxed. Now I use QB Honeybush Tea Gel or Fantasia IC Olive Gel (green one)

Meli

So what's the verdict?.... I use IC Fantasia Gel, but some said that that gels are bad. Should I not use this at all? In addition, if you want to smooth the whole hair down into a ponytail (slick back), will the Garnier Brillantine Shine work, or is it just for the edges?

sareca

Depends, my wng only needs a little gel, water, and a scarf for 10 minutes. My rollersets need a wax, a scarf for 10 minutes.

Longhealthyhair

All you need is elasta qp mango butter and a scarf. I can use this even 12 weeks post relaxer and I still get great results. I put it on and then use a scarf to lay the hair down. Then I pop into the shower and when I come out my edges are smooth and perfect.:rolleyes:

Lavendar

I tried everything for my edges and wasted a lot of money....mango butter, jam, AO, Giovanni, Mizani H20, isoplus...all these broke my hair into little fine pieces, even the so-called natural gels. I have to be so careful with my temples...at times they are almost nonexistent (hereditary). Finally I tried Hairveda Sweet Almond Glaze and that worked like magic! It's somewhat heavy so my edges lie down and stay so moisturized, especially when I tie them down for a bit. My temples are thicker than they've ever been and I have a new hairline...no more widow's peak!!!:drunk: