What do you think about the Sabbath?

dlewis

My children brought this to my attention after studing the ten commendments. "NO WORK ON SATURDAY'S MOMA"

Here's some info:

Keep the Sabbath Holy - 12 Biblical Concepts

1. The Sabbath is a day to cease our creating, working with the creation, and appreciate what God has done in the world and is doing in us. Genesis 2

2. Elaborate food preparation is to be done on the day before the Sabbath so that there is no baking or heavy cooking on the Sabbath. Exodus 16

3. The Sabbath is a time to lay our burdens down and rest. We should not do any servile work on the Sabbath. This includes our entire family, even our servants and beasts of burden and strangers who live among us. Jeremiah 17; Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5

4. The Sabbath is an holy convocation. We should meet and worship with others. Leviticus 23

5. We should be reverent and show God that we love, honor, and respect His authority. Psalm 89:7, Habakkuk 2:20

6. The Sabbath should be a day of delight and rejoicing, a day which we forsake our thoughts and words for God's thoughts and words. Isaiah 56, 58

7. The Sabbath is a time of healing. Matthew 12, Mark 1, 3, Luke 13, 14

8. We are not to buy or sell on the Sabbath. Nehemiah 13

9. The Sabbath is a time to do good and visit and comfort the sick. We should do spiritual work on the Sabbath, serving others. John 5

10. The Sabbath is a time of prayer. Acts 16:13

11. The Sabbath is a time to reason with others about spiritual principles, and for ministers to teach the word of God. Acts 17:2, 18:4, 11

12. The Sabbath is a time for Singing. Ephesians 5:19-20, Colossians 3:16, Psalms 92 is called the "Sabbath Psalm"

What do you think?

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
My Mom's side of the family are Seventh Day Adventists. She and one of her sisters don't really "practice" it, but everyone else does (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc).

Nice & Wavy

It is often claimed that "God instituted the Sabbath in Eden" because of the connection between the Sabbath and creation in Exodus 20:11. Although God's rest on the seventh day (Genesis 2:3) did foreshadow a future Sabbath law, there is no biblical record of the Sabbath before the children of Israel left the land of Egypt. Nowhere in Scripture is there any hint that Sabbath-keeping was practiced from Adam to Moses.

The Word of God makes it quite clear that Sabbath observance was a special sign between God and Israel: "And Moses went up to God, and the Lord called to him from the mountain, saying, "Thus you shall say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel: 'You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles' wings and brought you to Myself. Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine'" (Exodus 19:3–5).

“Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed” (Exodus 31:16–17).

In Deuteronomy 5, Moses restates the ten commandments to the next generation of Israelites. Here, after commanding Sabbath observance in verses 12–14, Moses gives the reason the Sabbath was given to the nation Israel: "And remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out from there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the Lord your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day" (Deuteronomy 5:15).

Notice the word therefore. God's intent for giving the Sabbath to Israel was not that they would remember creation, but that they would remember their Egyptian slavery and the Lord's deliverance. Note the requirements for Sabbath-keeping: A person placed under that Sabbath law could not leave his home on the Sabbath (Exodus 16:29), he could not build a fire (Exodus 35:3), and he could not cause anyone else to work (Deuteronomy 5:14). A person breaking the Sabbath law was to be put to death (Exodus 31:15; Numbers 15:32–35).

An examination of New Testament passages shows us four important points: 1) Whenever Christ appears in His resurrected form and the day is mentioned, it is always the first day of the week (Matthew 28:1, 9, 10; Mark 16:9; Luke 24:1, 13, 15; John 20:19, 26). 2) The only time the Sabbath is mentioned from Acts through Revelation it is for evangelistic purposes to the Jews and the setting is usually in a synagogue (Acts chapters 13–18). Paul wrote, "to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews" (1 Corinthians 9:20). Paul did not go to the synagogue to fellowship with and edify the saints, but to convict and save the lost. 3) Once Paul states "from now on I will go to the Gentiles" (Acts 18:6), the Sabbath is never again mentioned. And 4) instead of suggesting adherence to the Sabbath day, the remainder of the New Testament implies the opposite (including the one exception to point 3 above, found in Colossians 2:16).

Looking more closely at point 4 above will reveal that there is no obligation for the New Testament believer to keep the Sabbath, and will also show that the idea of a Sunday "Christian Sabbath" is also unscriptural. As discussed above, there is one time the Sabbath is mentioned after Paul began to focus on the Gentiles, "So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or Sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ" (Colossians 2:16–17). The Jewish Sabbath was abolished at the cross where Christ "wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us" (Colossians 2:14).

This idea is repeated more than once in the New Testament: "One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it" (Romans 14:5–6a). "But now after you have known God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which you desire again to be in bondage? You observe days and months and seasons and years" (Galatians 4:9–10).

But some claim that a mandate by Constantine in A.D. 321 "changed" the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday. On what day did the early church meet for worship? Scripture never mentions any Sabbath (Saturday) gatherings by believers for fellowship or worship. However, there are clear passages that mention the first day of the week. For instance, Acts 20:7 states that "on the first day of the week the disciples came together to break bread." In 1 Corinthians 16:2 Paul urges the Corinthian believers "on the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper." Since Paul designates this offering as "service" in 2 Corinthians 9:12, this collection must have been linked with the Sunday worship service of the Christian assembly. Historically Sunday, not Saturday, was the normal meeting day for Christians in the church, and its practice dates back to the first century.

The Sabbath was given to Israel, not the church. The Sabbath is still Saturday, not Sunday, and has never been changed. But the Sabbath is part of the Old Testament Law, and Christians are free from the bondage of the Law (Galatians 4:1-26; Romans 6:14). Sabbath keeping is not required of the Christian—be it Saturday or Sunday. The first day of the week, Sunday, the Lord's Day (Revelation 1:10) celebrates the New Creation, with Christ as our resurrected Head. We are not obligated to follow the Mosaic Sabbath—resting, but are now free to follow the risen Christ—serving. The Apostle Paul said that each individual Christian should decide whether to observe a Sabbath rest, “One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind” (Romans 14:5). We are to worship God every day, not just on Saturday or Sunday.

alexstin

Jhn 5:15 The man went away, and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well.
Jhn 5:16 For this reason the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because He was doing these things on the Sabbath.
Jhn 5:17 But He answered them, "My Father is working until now, and I Myself am working." Jhn 5:18 For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God.

Jesus said it best.:yep: He had no issue with doing things on the Sabbath because He was like the Father and the Father is always working. :yep:

Nice & Wavy

Jhn 5:15 The man went away, and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well.
Jhn 5:16 For this reason the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because He was doing these things on the Sabbath.
Jhn 5:17 But He answered them, "My Father is working until now, and I Myself am working." Jhn 5:18 For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God.

Jesus said it best.:yep: He had no issue with doing things on the Sabbath because He was like the Father and the Father is always working. :yep:

ITA....:yep:

dicapr

As Christians, the Sabbath should be observed. Jesus was in the temple on Saturday. If we profess to follow Christ's example, how can we ignore his example of worship. The Sabbath is a reoccuring theme throughout the bible, and a tradition that Jesus embraced, even though he removed other traditions practiced by the Jewish nation. Even Paul spoke on the Sabbath, and the continued observance of it Heb 4:4. Jesus did change the spirit of the Sabbath. The current interpretation of the Sabbath at that time made it restrictive and oppressive to those who observed it. Jesus did the will and work of the Father on the Sabbath, but nothing for his own profit. You never read where the diciples were fishing on the Sabbath. Sabbath is for doing the work of God, not making money. Good works on would include cleaning and cooking for the sick, volunteer work, and of course witnesing. It is true that before the 10 commandments, the Sabbath was not celebrated as God commanded in Genesis. This is also the only commandment in which we are instructed to "Remember". This tells us that it had been in place before, but the tradition was lost. Reveleations 14:12 shows that those who will recieve the reward of Heaven are those who keep his commandments. The first 4 of the 10 commandments tell us the way in which God wants to be treated. One of the ways we show our love for God is to take one day out of the week (the Seventh) and spend quality time with him. Is it really too much for us to spend one day with God. I don't understand the reluctance modern day christians have with taking one day and spending it with God. The reward of going to Heaven is supposed to be spending Eternity with God. Here on earth some find it difficult to give him 24 hrs. How do we think we will fare spending eternity with him?

MizzBrown

Hmmph. Try telling my job about the sabbath day. Nowadays employers look at you funny when you say "no, i can't be here on that day, its my sabbath". My job routinely has meetings on sunday and saturday morning and expect me to be there. I've already complained to the corporate office about it. People just don't care. They frown up at your Christian beliefs.

I think the sabbath should be any day you can get to yourself considering we live in Corporate america. Funny how Saturday should be the day yet its the busiest day of the week and people do the MOST work cause they know they can't get it done on Sunday when all businesses are closed or on short schedules.

I thought we didn't have "days of the week" in biblical times. It never said God rested on Saturday or Sunday..it just said the 7th day or so i thought. You know how many people i know who work 7-10 days straight w/ no day off. It's so sad. We are nowhere near God but we get worked like we do.

alexstin

As Christians, the Sabbath should be observed. Jesus was in the temple on Saturday. If we profess to follow Christ's example, how can we ignore his example of worship. The Sabbath is a reoccuring theme throughout the bible, and a tradition that Jesus embraced, even though he removed other traditions practiced by the Jewish nation. Even Paul spoke on the Sabbath, and the continued observance of it Heb 4:4. Jesus did change the spirit of the Sabbath. The current interpretation of the Sabbath at that time made it restrictive and oppressive to those who observed it. Jesus did the will and work of the Father on the Sabbath, but nothing for his own profit. You never read where the diciples were fishing on the Sabbath. Sabbath is for doing the work of God, not making money. Good works on would include cleaning and cooking for the sick, volunteer work, and of course witnesing. It is true that before the 10 commandments, the Sabbath was not celebrated as God commanded in Genesis. This is also the only commandment in which we are instructed to "Remember". This tells us that it had been in place before, but the tradition was lost. Reveleations 14:12 shows that those who will recieve the reward of Heaven are those who keep his commandments. The first 4 of the 10 commandments tell us the way in which God wants to be treated. One of the ways we show our love for God is to take one day out of the week (the Seventh) and spend quality time with him. Is it really too much for us to spend one day with God. I don't understand the reluctance modern day christians have with taking one day and spending it with God. The reward of going to Heaven is supposed to be spending Eternity with God. Here on earth some find it difficult to give him 24 hrs. How do we think we will fare spending eternity with him?[/QUOTE]

Did I miss something. Who said that you should forsake assembling with the saints weekly? Who said anything about no quality time with God? If you hurt yourself on the sabbath and needed emergency care would you refuse medical care because you don't want anyone working on you on the Sabbath?

As far as the bolded.

Jesus didn't die for you to spend eternity with God. God's original purpose was for man to govern the earth. He has restored us that are in Him to our original place. That was what Jesus died for, check the scriptures.

We know more about "keeping the Sabbath" than the reason for Jesus even coming.:ohwell:

dicapr

I think you read too much into the statement. We tend to use our busy lives as an excuse why we cannot observe the 24 hr period God says is his. However, we forget that making it in this world is not the goal of Christians. Our goal is eternal life, heaven. Therefore, our daily activities should not trump our time with God. I said nothing about having to go to church. I can't say that I go to church everytime the doors open or even every Sabbath. However, I do make it my business to spend every Sabbath with God. This has effected choices in my life, my ability to get OT (it is usually on a Saturday), but I keep in mind that Heaven is my ultimate goal. I never could understand the problem of taking a 24 hr period, not doing any work, avoiding conflict, helping out your fellow man, and concentrating on God. God does not need man to govern the earth. He sees us as his children and he gave us the earth as our inheretance. God wants a relationship with mankind. He would come in the cool of the evening in the garden of Eden to spend time with Adam and Eve. He represents himself as our Father. There are those in the bible who God refers to as his friend. He speaks of the chruch as his bride. All of this points to the fact that God wants a relationship. I do understand it is necessary to do good on the sabbath. In fact, I used to work Saturdays as scheduled at a hospital. Jesus healed on the Sabbath. Very few Sabbatarians would deny help, medical treatment, ect on the Sabbath and no one is suggesting that. What is being addressed here is not taking time for God because it is a sacrifice. I will work to help someone in a life or death situation, or to aid someone who is unable to help themselves.

Last edited:

tffy2004

Since I follow the seven day calender that I have on my wall, with Sunday being day one of the week, in my household we observe Saturday as the day of rest, we sit around and do crafts, paint, we may go for a walk, or play outside with the kids, but my husband doesn't work on Saturdays anymore. We just enjoy each other on that day and don't worry about work and the hustle and bustle of the week.

There was a thread started not too long ago with a link to youtube. The video was of Paul Washer, speaking to youth and it made us re-examine whether or not we, at the ages of 22 and 24, were truly Christians. Here is the link, there are 6 parts that total about an hour long message, but is is soooooo worth watching. Stirring Message from Paul Washer

After we watched this message we re-dedicated our lives to God and the mission of leading people to Christ. We started reading the bible, but this time, no matter how long it takes we will read the entire Bible beginning to end, even if it takes til the Savior comes back.

We printed out the 10 Commandments framed them and hung them on the wall as a daily reminder that God is with us and we have a purpose. In framing the Commandments we went through each and found as much as we could in the Bible about each one. With us both being full time college students and him working outside the home, the Sabbath is truly a day of rest for us and time to really BE a family and talk and love on one another without rushing to do something else, or watching the clock the whole day trying to get things done.

alexstin

I think you read too much into the statement. We tend to use our busy lives as an excuse why we cannot observe the 24 hr period God says is his. However, we forget that making it in this world is not the goal of Christians. Our goal is eternal life, heaven. Therefore, our daily activities should not trump our time with God. I said nothing about having to go to church. I can't say that I go to church everytime the doors open or even every Sabbath. However, I do make it my business to spend every Sabbath with God. This has effected choices in my life, my ability to get OT (it is usually on a Saturday), but I keep in mind that Heaven is my ultimate goal. I never could understand the problem of taking a 24 hr period, not doing any work, avoiding conflict, helping out your fellow man, and concentrating on God. God does not need man to govern the earth. He sees us as his children and he gave us the earth as our inheretance. God wants a relationship with mankind. He would come in the cool of the evening in the garden of Eden to spend time with Adam and Eve. He represents himself as our Father. There are those in the bible who God refers to as his friend. He speaks of the chruch as his bride. All of this points to the fact that God wants a relationship. I do understand it is necessary to do good on the sabbath. In fact, I used to work Saturdays as scheduled at a hospital. Jesus healed on the Sabbath. Very few Sabbatarians would deny help, medical treatment, ect on the Sabbath and no one is suggesting that. What is being addressed here is not taking time for God because it is a sacrifice. I will work to help someone in a life or death situation, or to aid someone who is unable to help themselves.

I didn't read where anyone said they didn't take the time for God because it was a sacrifice. I don't think I mentioned anything about going to church. Again, I must have missed it. We differ in our perspectives of what we should or should not do on the Sabbath.

If a sabbatarian does not keep the sabbath as their church doctrine states they should, what happens? That is a sincere question.:yep:

Scriptually, our goal is not Heaven. Yes, believers go there when they die but restoration is the ultimate goal of God and God's plans have never changed since He put Adam and Eve in the garden. God is the same yesterday, today and forever.

What did Jesus state was His reason for coming to earth?

Our Father doesn't need us to govern the earth but it was a commandment He gave us. He has graciously given us a place to rule over(not people, mind you!) just as He does in Heaven. We are a Kingdom of kings and preists. All kings have something to rule over.

Last edited:

Nice & Wavy

I used to think like this for many years when I was a Seventh Day Adventist. The sabbeth was mostly preached, more than Christ Jesus. I can tell you that all the years of being a Seventh Day Adventist, no one ever told me about Romans 10: 9-13. No one ever said anything to me about II Corith. 5:17. No one ever said anything to me about Acts 4:12. I was so focused on keeping the "sabbeth day" that what was also important, which would get me into Heaven, was never apart of my life because no one ever told me that I needed Jesus as my Lord and Savior.

Now, don't get me wrong...I'm not coming against those who believe this way. But, I can remember a scripture where after the Pharisees criticized Jesus for allowing his disciples to pick some grain on the Sabbath day, Jesus said, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath" (Mark 2:27)

We can see what Jesus meant by looking at the phrase: "and not man for the Sabbath." His point was that the Sabbath was made to serve people, instead of people being created to serve the Sabbath. The Sabbath was a servant, not a master. He was addressing the relative importance of the Sabbath. He should know, being Lord of all, right?

We could just as easily say, "Circumcision was made for humans, not for angels." This statement is true, but we should not focus on the first half as if it meant that circumcision was made for all humans. It was given to Israel only, not the rest of the world.

I think sometimes, we must remember what Jesus said in its entirety, not just in one part.

Just thought I'd share.

Nice & Wavy

I didn't read where anyone said they didn't take the time for God because it was a sacrifice. I don't think I mentioned anything about going to church. Again, I must have missed it. We differ in our perspectives of what we should or should not do on the Sabbath.

If a sabbatarian does not keep the sabbath as their church doctrine states they should, what happens? That is a sincere question.:yep:

Scriptually, our goal is not Heaven. Yes, believers go there when they die but restoration is the ultimate goal of God and God's plans have never changed since He put Adam and Eve in the garden. God is the same yesterday, today and forever.

What did Jesus state was His reason for coming to earth?

Our Father doesn't need us to govern the earth but it was a commandment He gave us. He has graciously given us a place to rule over(not people, mind you!) just as He does in Heaven. We are a Kingdom of kings and preists. All kings have something to rule over.

This is a good question, Alexstin. I would like to know this as well.

alexstin

I used to think like this for many years when I was a Seventh Day Adventist. The sabbeth was mostly preached, more than Christ Jesus. I can tell you that all the years of being a Seventh Day Adventist, no one ever told me about Romans 10: 9-13. No one ever said anything to me about II Corith. 5:17. No one ever said anything to me about Acts 4:12. I was so focused on keeping the "sabbeth day" that what was also important, which would get me into Heaven, was never apart of my life because no one ever told me that I needed Jesus as my Lord and Savior.

Now, don't get me wrong...I'm not coming against those who believe this way. But, I can remember a scripture where after the Pharisees criticized Jesus for allowing his disciples to pick some grain on the Sabbath day, Jesus said, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath" (Mark 2:27)

We can see what Jesus meant by looking at the phrase: "and not man for the Sabbath." His point was that the Sabbath was made to serve people, instead of people being created to serve the Sabbath. The Sabbath was a servant, not a master. He was addressing the relative importance of the Sabbath. He should know, being Lord of all, right?

We could just as easily say, "Circumcision was made for humans, not for angels." This statement is true, but we should not focus on the first half as if it meant that circumcision was made for all humans. It was given to Israel only, not the rest of the world.

I think sometimes, we must remember what Jesus said in its entirety, not just in one part.

Just thought I'd share.

That's exactly what I meant when I said, some elevate the Sabbath. If they are so focused on that I would think it's to the detriment of other teachings. :yep:

Nice & Wavy

That's exactly what I meant when I said, some elevate the Sabbath. If they are so focused on that I would think it's to the detriment of other teachings. :yep:

Exactly and that's what caused me to leave because I was looking for more. I kept saying there has to be more than just this, and by saying that I'm not degrading the Sabbeth in anyway.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Exactly and that's what caused me to leave because I was looking for more. I kept saying there has to be more than just this, and by saying that I'm not degrading the Sabbeth in anyway.

Honestly, I believe that if you're a person who needs structure in your life, then Seventh Day Adventist is the way to go. From being around my family and going to the SDA church, the church is very strict when it comes to the Sabbath, from sunset Friday night to sunset Saturday night.

cutiebe2

my grandmother always yells at me for listening to secular music on Sunday..she says its the Lords day so I should give music a break

after that..I never really thought about it..I either go to church, do nothing, or watch Joel Whatshisname on TV

I'm feeling kinda akward right now because I think my postis the shortest in this thread:blush:...sorry girls!! but I can't quote the bible

Nice & Wavy

Honestly, I believe that if you're a person who needs structure in your life, then Seventh Day Adventist is the way to go. From being around my family and going to the SDA church, the church is very strict when it comes to the Sabbath, from sunset Friday night to sunset Saturday night.

Hey TSUprincess,

And for you to believe that is fine. However, from someone who came from a SDA background, I can honestly say that although they do teach very well about the Sabbeth day and to keep it holy, there wasn't really much else that was emphasised about Salvation and how to get to Christ.

Like I stated before the scripture that says that "the sabbeth was made for man, not man for the sabbeth." That came straight from Jesus lips....aren't we supposed to follow His teachings?

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Hey TSUprincess,

And for you to believe that is fine. However, from someone who came from a SDA background, I can honestly say that although they do teach very well about the Sabbeth day and to keep it holy, there wasn't really much else that was emphasised about Salvation and how to get to Christ.

Like I stated before the scripture that says that "the sabbeth was made for man, not man for the sabbeth." That came straight from Jesus lips....aren't we supposed to follow His teachings?

I hope you don't think I was trying to discredit (for lack of a better word) you or anything. I didn't quote you for that. I was just commenting on how I felt about SDA, and how they are very strict. Me, I don't really follow that anymore. I don't really "agree" with everything that they do, so I have my own views on what I believe, etc. My mom's side of the family is strictly SDA, and sometimes it can become overwhelming.

good2uuuu

I totally agree with you about there should be more than just emphasis on the Sabbath. And there is. I am SDA. In fact, I am a PK. It always saddens me to hear people have such negative experiences within the church. I know the church isn't perfect. Far from it. After all, God appointed men to carry out His work on earth and man is nowhere near perfect. Also, I know that many SDA's like to think we are the only ones who will be saved. Far from it! I feel sorry for those who take that position and just hope and pray that they don't somehow find themselves on the outside looking in. There are so many others who will be saved according to the light and truth they have been given who will know nothing about the Sabbath. I know that for myself, I have had to study scripture for myself an don't just rely on what I was taught. As an adult, there are things that I don't agree with that my parents are staunch about. These differences though are not about basic doctrine and principle. These are basically generational differences(hey, my dad is 89, so you can imagine! I wear tasteful make-up, like sexy shoes and nice clothes, like movies an tv. I let my concience guide me as to what I watch). But, I always focus on looking at Jesus and not at those around me for my salvation. Also, I personally have found no place in the Bible that substantiates or validates keeping any other day holy besides the seventh day. I know for a fact that the Catholic church authorized the change of the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday, which was an act of man, not God ( I am not attacking Catholics, just stating historical facts) http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/articles/details.cfm?art=92 http://amazingdiscoveries.org/the-anti-christs-crime-part2.html
http://theonetruegod.blogspot.com/2005/02/catholic-church-admits-to-sabbath.html

So, I keep the seventh day Sabbath. I go to Sabbath School and church, and I spend time in fellowship with family and friends. I also do other things for the good of others on the Sabbath, but that is something that should be day to day and not just saved for Sabbath. It is a day of rest, worship and renewal. Sadly, so many SDA's work harder on the Sabbath doing good (and going to meetings and participating in various ministries) than they work at their 9 to 5's. I think they have forgotten what a blessing the Sabbath is and what the true purpose of it is. It is a day set aside by God to remind us of His divine authority and that He is our Creator.

My hope and prayer is that those who earnestly and prayerfully seek truth will find it and not be dissuaded by those around them to loose sight of that truth. Seek God first and all else will fall into place. But beware! Just because you follow God, etc. does not mean that life will be easy and full of roses. In fact, that the time when the evil one will seek even harder to destroy you.

I hope I have made some sense and not offended anyone. I just wanted to share as per the OP's original question and your response.
God bless all all ya'll!

Last edited:

Nice & Wavy

I hope you don't think I was trying to discredit (for lack of a better word) you or anything. I didn't quote you for that. I was just commenting on how I felt about SDA, and how they are very strict. Me, I don't really follow that anymore. I don't really "agree" with everything that they do, so I have my own views on what I believe, etc. My mom's side of the family is strictly SDA, and sometimes it can become overwhelming.

Oh, no TSU....I didn't think that at all, I was just stating a fact because I know about SDA and wanted to clarify my position as to why I left.

You know I luvs you girl....:yep:

Nice & Wavy

I totally agree with you about there should be more than just emphasis on the Sabbath. And there is. I am SDA. In fact, I am a PK. It always saddens me to hear people have such negative experiences within the church. I know the church isn't perfect. Far from it. After all, God appointed men to carry out His work on earth and man is nowhere near perfect. Also, I know that many SDA's like to think we are the only ones who will be saved. Far from it! I feel sorry for those who take that position and just hope and pray that they don't somehow find themselves on the outside looking in. There are so many others who will be saved according to the light and truth they have been given who will know nothing about the Sabbath. I know that for myself, I have had to study scripture for myself an don't just rely on what I was taught. As an adult, there are things that I don't agree with that my parents are staunch about. These differences though are not about basic doctrine and principle. These are basically generational differences(hey, my dad is 89, so you can imagine! I wear tasteful make-up, like sexy shoes and nice clothes, like movies an tv. I let my concience guide me as to what I watch). But, I always focus on looking at Jesus and not at those around me for my salvation. Also, I personally have found no place in the Bible that substantiates or validates keeping any other day holy besides the seventh day. I know for a fact that the Catholic church authorized the change of the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday, which was an act of man, not God ( I am not attacking Catholics, just stating historical facts) http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/articles/details.cfm?art=92 http://amazingdiscoveries.org/the-anti-christs-crime-part2.html
http://theonetruegod.blogspot.com/2005/02/catholic-church-admits-to-sabbath.html

So, I keep the seventh day Sabbath. I go to Sabbath School and church, and I spend time in fellowship with family and friends. I also do other things for the good of others on the Sabbath, but that is something that should be day to day and not just saved for Sabbath. It is a day of rest, worship and renewal. Sadly, so many SDA's work harder on the Sabbath doing good (and going to meetings and participating in various ministries) than they work at their 9 to 5's. I think they have forgotten what a blessing the Sabbath is and what the true purpose of it is. It is a day set aside by God to remind us of His divine authority and that He is our Creator.

My hope and prayer is that those who earnestly and prayerfully seek truth will find it and not be dissuaded by those around them to loose sight of that truth. Seek God first and all else will fall into place. But beware! Just because you follow God, etc. does not mean that life will be easy and full of roses. In fact, that the time when the evil one will seek even harder to destroy you.

I hope I have made some sense and not offended anyone. I just wanted to share as per the OP's original question and your response.
God bless all all ya'll!

Thank you for this post. You are truly a blessing to me and I thank God, our Father for you everyday!

You have not offended me at all. And you are correct when you say that the calendar was changed. However I choose to worship God everyday, as opposed to a certain day. There are times I take a Wednesday off to have my time with the Lord with no tv, radio, music, etc. There are times when it is another day but I choose to fellowship with the saints on Sunday. I do know that everyday is alike to the Father, so as long as we are praising Him and worshipping Him, He is there to give us what we need, at any time.

I do appreciate what you wrote and I do hope people are aware of the dangers of not living a full completed life before the Father. Although we are not perfect, as we strive to live for Him, He receives us and forgives us as we move forward, reaching for the mark of the high calling in Christ Jesus.

Blessings!