What do you say to the minister

Lisa

when you shake his/her hand after service?

Do you try to convey that you were paying attention and pull something from the service that you liked or do you just say in general....

God bless you?
Nice service?
Great sermon?

I'm always at a loss for words

Edited to add: I think I'm a little too old to sneak out the side door :blush: :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

makeupgirl

Actually, I don't say anything. Not because I don't get a chance to or anything but my church usually we hang back for fellowship anyway, having some type of dinner going on or I'm trying to escape a meeting that I'm suppose to be in.

But just say, Good message! Quick, Easy, and to the point! :)

Guitarhero

"Hello, Father"

"Good afternoon, Father"

"Good evening, Father"

Or just shake the hand and smile. We rarely have time to have a convo after services. Maybe send him an email? He might appreciate that.

LongTimeComing

'Good word' and keep it moving. In my church you have to approach the pastor to have these type of interactions, so I don't.

Iwanthealthyhair67

my church sounds similar to Makeup girl where we hang around and nobody seems in a rush to leave after church we fellowship (practice Koinonia (sp?))...my pastors are very much available to the members so you can stop them (if the don't stop you first) and talk basically about whatever is on your heart ...

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Our Pastors are part of the family, so it's pretty easy to speak to both of them. :yep:

However when I'm visiting another Church, I smile and say one of the following;

* Thank you for such a wonderful message

* Your message was a blessing

* Have a wonderful day

* I'm looking forward to visiting again

* Great message

It's really whatever comes to mind. :yep:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
my church sounds similar to Makeup girl where we hang around and nobody seems in a rush to leave after church we fellowship (practice Koinonia (sp?))...my pastors are very much available to the members so you can stop them (if the don't stop you first) and talk basically about whatever is on your heart ...

It's an 'all day' Sunday... :lol:

Goombay_Summer

It really depends on different scenarios:

1) In the situation that I may or may not have nodded off in church I exit through the side door it prevents an awkward silence and I do not want to lie to the man of God in his house for fear I may leave like Ananias and his wife Sapphira.

2) My pastor works full time outside of the Ministry and is a new father I am not judging or criticizing him but I think one Sunday he did a preached on the vending machine at his job yes he used it as an analogy, as a result I gave the standard interesting sermon response.

3) If the sermon was tailored for specifically for me that day, forget all of the other members in the auditorium I let him know that I was particularly touched by the revelation he gave on the subject or I state that his message was timely.

4) If I cannot find anything to say, we have that long awkward pause at the door, where I shake his hand profusely and if I am embarrassed because I cannot think have anything meaningful or genuine to say I mumble something about seeing him next week if God spare our lives. This has happened on the rare occasions that they locked the side doors right before the service ended forcing everyone to interact with him whether they wanted to or not.

Peace out, homie. Lol. We've got a real close relationship. I think he joked that he was so glad my husband was back in town because he had missed a few Sundays. He knew good and well that man was sleeping in, lol. Its a mob right after service anyway. I hit him up on fb.

sent from the nebula quadrant 2-4-niner-foxtrot

Lisa

This is what I'm trying to avoid! That awkward pause at the door where I shake his (pastor's) or her (associate pastor's) hand! I usually mumble have a nice day or something just as awkward.

4) If I cannot find anything to say, we have that long awkward pause at the door, where I shake his hand profusely and if I am embarrassed because I cannot think have anything meaningful or genuine to say ...

Ithacagurl

:lachen: too funny
It really depends on different scenarios:

1) In the situation that I may or may not have nodded off in church I exit through the side door it prevents an awkward silence and I do not want to lie to the man of God in his house for fear I may leave like Ananias and his wife Sapphira.

2) My pastor works full time outside of the Ministry and is a new father I am not judging or criticizing him but I think one Sunday he did a preached on the vending machine at his job yes he used it as an analogy, as a result I gave the standard interesting sermon response.

3) If the sermon was tailored for specifically for me that day, forget all of the other members in the auditorium I let him know that I was particularly touched by the revelation he gave on the subject or I state that his message was timely.

4) If I cannot find anything to say, we have that long awkward pause at the door, where I shake his hand profusely and if I am embarrassed because I cannot think have anything meaningful or genuine to say I mumble something about seeing him next week if God spare our lives. This has happened on the rare occasions that they locked the side doors right before the service ended forcing everyone to interact with him whether they wanted to or not.