What are the best oils to flat iron

Miosy

without giving the greasy look. I like to flat iron and leave the hair shiny instead of greasy. I tried ORS olive oil & motions oil spray before flat ironing and they were okay but a bit greasy.

adrienne0914

after using a heat protectant and blow drying, the only thing i put on my hair before flat ironing is a sheen spray and/or serum. i like for my hair to have mega body, and oils tend to weigh it down.

Allandra

I don't use oil. I use a heat protectant prior to flat ironing my hair (New Image Damage Free Thermal Active Conditioning Styler (Heat Protectant).

Miosy

A heat protectant like the one from Thermal Silk? Do you put it on when your hair is wet?

asha

I use elasta QP silk (which is a thermal protectant) for flat ironing but I also use a little bit of WGO (wild growth oil) on my ends. It doesn't come out greasy...but you need to use just a little bit. I had to experiment to get it at the right amount.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
KeraCare Silken Seal it's a serum
Biosilk Silk Therapy

Either or followed by a dime sized amount of a light oil that is rubbed into hands and distributed evenly throughout hair.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
Miosy said:
A heat protectant like the one from Thermal Silk? Do you put it on when your hair is wet?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.

soslychic

Do you all use these heat protectants and oils RIGHT before flat ironing on dry hair. When I tried that, my flat iron sizzled!

AngieK

<font color="brown">I think heat protectancts, balms, and serums are better for flat ironing. Here is the reason (this applies to those of us who use natural oils):

Some oils have low smoke points, which means that it will actually start to decompose or burn at a low temperature (releasing oxides, which can be harmful). For example, refined Avocado Oil can be heated to just under 500 F before smoking, while unrefined Safflower Oil will smoke when heated to just under 225 F. The smoke point for Extra Virgin Olive Oil is approximately 250 F. Many flat irons actually exceed this temperature.

As dontspeakdefeat suggested, it is better to add oils AFTER you are finished. That way you don't risk using oils that are not appropriate, and you don't create a situation that is going to expose you to oxides, which are harmful to your health (this is why we take vitamins that are high in anti-oxidants).

AngieK </font>

Allandra

AngieK,

Girl, you know your stuff. :high five here: I definitely appreciate your hair care knowledge. Thanks.

soulchild

That's good info AngieK. What temperature do flat irons get up to?

Also, are the oxides harmful to the hair or to us breathing them in?

Ayeshia

the number one oil for me is the luster pink glosser....its really light it has aloe vera, jojoba oil and a lot of other essential oils not petoleum or mineral. Its smells teriffic...And the sheen is perfect.

AngieK

<font color="brown">Soulchild,

The temperatures will vary according to manufacturer, but I know some of the higher quality flat irons can get close to 400 F (not that you have to use it at that setting).

As far as environmental oxides go (from smoking and general air pollution), I know that they can affect aging of the skin on a cellular level, and oxidant exposure is also associated with, respiratory infections, asthma, and degenerative diseases of the eyes and other organs.

So in short, breathing it in would definitely be a concern, especially if it starts to smoke (and this also would be true if these oils are used for cooking).

AngieK </font>

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
AngieK,

I'm glad you shared that. I've always wondered also (even though I used to faithfully use jojoba when I flat/curling ironed) if the oil would heat up like it does when you're cooking with an oil and fry the hair like the food fries.