What are cones???

Mdmommy99

I am a newbie and have seen so many people referring to cones as bad. I did use the search feature to try and find out the answer but I found a lot of threads talking about cones but none that actually explained what cones are. Can someone please tell me and explain why they are bad?

yora88

CONES is an abbreviation for silicones. I'm a newbie too so I don't know what makes them so bad. Wish I could help you out more.

Americka

Specific properties of silicone as it relates to hair care include: protection from heat at temperatures exceeding 400°F, the ability to form a watertight seal around the hair shaft, resistance to sunlight, and flexibility.

When applied to the hair, silicone wraps around the hair shaft preventing what’s inside from going out and what’s outside from going in. Silicone molecules are too large to be absorbed into the hair shaft, so they act as a protective coating. For this reason, silicone hair products are great for retaining moisture in hair and for making hair resistant to outside influences such as heat and UV sun rays.

Specific benefits of silicone hair products include:

1. adding shine
  2. adding softness
  3. reducing/eliminating frizz
  4. protecting from heat (flat iron, blow dryer, curling iron)
  5. detangling
  6. protecting from sun’s UV rays
  7. retaining moisture
  8. refresh hair extensions

The properties vary depending on which particular silicone is in the formula. Some silicones do leave a heavy coating on the hair that can be hard to wash off. Others are very water soluble and don’t buildup at all. Dimethicone, (sometimes called simethicone) for example, is the heaviest of all silicones used for hair care. It provides the most smoothing effect but it is also the hardest to wash out. Cyclomethicone on the other hand, gives great slippery feeling while you’re rinsing your hair, but it quickly evaporates leaving nothing behind.

Info taken from: http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/01/29/are-silicones-bad-for-your-hair/ and http://www.articlesbase.com/cosmetics-articles/silicone-hair-products-guide-477469.html