Wet hair assessment - please explain

It~Can~Grow

After reading "please read this before you" post, I clicked a few links and came across Sistaslicks 'wet hair assessment' .

I don't think I've really, or correctly assessed my hair. Please explain this definition, as I think this does, sorta, kinda describe my hair

(Wet)- Weak, gummy, mushy, limp hair= more protein

Prior to the forum, I used ORS Deep Conditioner (sit under dryer for 15 min) and my hair (when dry) responded ok (I guess).

Well, anyway, I think I just need for someone to really, really break down what your hair will feel like and how it will respond if:

Thanks for the clarification

Last edited:

Dposh167

i can speak from experience cuz my hair was over-moisturized due to too much Dc'ing last year

when wet it didn't feel like hair. it was extreeeemely soft (not a good soft). It was fragile or weak( meaning when wet, if i tugged at my hair in a ponytail style it felt like it wasn't strong enuff to hold the tension). so i did a single strand test and when i pulled, it kept stretching and stretching then broke. the stretching was far more than normal.

it was really hard to figure out that my hair was overmoisturized when dry. b/c it acted normal. but as soon as it was wash day, my hair completely changed.

It~Can~Grow

In Sslicks assesstment it mentioned that you cannot tell on a single strand because that would be 'undue' stress?

I don't know...you know what I mean...wet hair is like a different animal all together.

How can I test multiple strands? How do you pull when hair is still attached to the scalp?

Hey, I know that sounds strange, but how can I test groups of hair to get a better gage?

I've purchased a LOT of products and I want to make sure what I have will yield me optimal results

Last edited:

gymfreak336

In Sslicks assesstment it mentioned that you cannot tell on a single strand because that would be 'undue' stress?

I don't know...you know what I mean...what hair is like a different animal all together.

How can I test multiple strands? How do you pull when hair is still attached to the scalp?

Hey, I know that sounds strange, but how can I test groups of hair to get a better gage?

I've purchased a LOT or products and I want to make sure what I have will yield me optimal results

Use shed hair. If you have a couple of strands in a comb or something you can wet test with those. Sometimes when I am in the shower and rinsing out my conditioner, I kinda pull at some of the hair that come out while detangling, if any comes out at all.

gymfreak336

After reading "please read this before you" post, I clicked a few links and came across Sistaslicks 'wet hair assessment' .

I don't think I've really, or correctly assessed my hair. Please explain this definition, as I think this does, sorta, kinda describe my hair

Prior to the forum, I used ORS Deep Conditioner (sit under dryer for 15 min) and my hair (when dry) responded ok (I guess).

Well, anyway, I think I just need for someone to really, really break down what your hair will feel like and how it will respond if:

Thanks for the clarification

If you hair when wet feels gummy it will fell overly soft, like it has no structure at all. I know for me personally, sometimes if I need protein, my hair will literally feel like mush, just a pile of limp mushy too soft hair.

It~Can~Grow

Humm...:scratchch Ok, so let's take it to the other end - if it's healthy, what will wet hair feel like in my hands? :scratchch

gymfreak336

Humm...:scratchch Ok, so let's take it to the other end - if it's healthy, what will wet hair feel like in my hands? :scratchch

Well everyone's hair would feel a little different but for me when my hair is healthy, it feels soft and smooth when wet. I can run my hands over it and I don't have snags, it feels sleek and it feels strong.

JerriBlank

I've been trying to find a good way to ask this question.
So how do you know that your hair is healthy when wet?
I made up my mind that i would define my hair as healthy when i can manipulate it when wet(rubbing,stretching,combing,etc.),and not get as many broken hairs as i have been getting.I was d'c ing with keratin oil,but i can't find it anymore...my hair is mad about that.
So what is the deal with this?

mzhotniz86

i just had to do a protein treatment with egg and jojoba oil this past weekend.when i wet my hair for my wash, i just put my hand in and felt to see how soft it was. thats how i knew i needed protein that day. it was waay too soft and mushy like wet toilet paper. now it feels right and strong and healthy. just apply moisture and protein as needed. ive seen a few people who just alternate the mositure and protein on a schedule/regimen. but i think its better when you check your hair first, to see what it needs.

oh and to answer the question, after i did my dc with egg (only 15 minutes, no heat) and washed it out, i felt a difference in strength . you have to learn your hair , thats the tricky part. once you know what your hair feels like in its healthy state, you can determine what it needs. its hard to describe what is considered healthy, cause everybody hair is different. if the texture of your hair wet is completely too soft from the texture when its dry, it needs protein. your hair will always need moisture in some form. so if you do a protein treatment, follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. when you go to wash your hair again, go back to your regular wash with your moisturizing conditioner. you can also do a strand test. take a strand of hair and wet it , hold both ends and stretch it little by little. if it barely stretches and then pops= it needs moisture and . if it stretches , stretches then pops (and coils up)= needs more protein. healthy hair is somewhere in between where it stretches little by little , but doesnt break. relaxed heads unfortunately will never have perfect "healthy" hair ,cause the chemical has broken down the hair bond

Last edited:

mamaore

:bump: :bump: I'm bumping this thread because I this I need help in this area. This may be the key to solving my breakage problems.

I have been doing my assessments on dry hair :spank: My hair almost never stretches then breaks so I assumed I needed mositure and not protein. I have avoided protein for the last 3 months smh.

I tried the wet assessment on a few wet strands in the washroom ( I couldn't wait till I got home) and suprise suprise.. my hair stretches forever and does not break. One breaks and the broken pieces coil up like when you use a scissors to strech a ribbon. Jeez? Please someone help me. I'm low poo and I thought I was protein sensitive. This messes up everything I thought I knew.

More so, my hair always dries crunchy no matter how many moisturizing leave-in I use. Could this have anything to do with the balance of my hair.

Last edited:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
@mamaore I do wet strand test often and if you do them on a regular basis you'll get a better feel for them...in the shower I will take a shed hair (that's wet) and gently tug at it from either end. I'm looking for 'bounce' like an elastic band would do, then I know I have balance or at least a decent combination of protein and moisture. If I get stretch like chewed gum would do then I have too much moisture and need protein. If it breaks I have way too much protein. There are varying degrees of bounce (same with an elastic band) some have more give than others and for me I look for some give but not too much. The type of give that a fat elastic band would give versus one of those skinny one's that have a lot of give. I hope this makes sense but this is the best way I could describe it. The key though it to do it often (at first) so you can see for yourself how that 'elasticity' of your own hair changes as you add moisture or protein products.

ETA: When you pull, don't pull hard enough not to break the hair right away increase the pressure you apply to get a good feel.

Last edited:

mamaore

Nix08, thanks for the explaination. I have tried the wet assessment. What I dont get is..do I pull and leave the hair and then check to see if it bounces back or not. Or Do I keep pulling the hair at the two ends without releasing.

I'm really very visual... I haven't seen this done on youtube.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
@mamaore I keep the hair in both hands (use my thumb and index finger to hold the the hair and leave about 2 inches of hair or more inbetween) and guide the stretch and hopefully the return of the hair to it's normal state. When it's over moisturized it will not return once pulled. Ideally you are looking for your hair to be able to stretch some distance (they say 30-50% of it's length) and return without breaking.

ETA: You do not release the hair...it's not "as" elastic as a rubber band and you won't see it return to its state if you release it. You have to guide it. If it's over moisturized it won't come back.

SN: It's also a good idea to do it on various parts of your head (I don't bother with that but i've read it recommended).

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
mamaore I thought I was doing fine until I started doing the test on a regular basis (I didn't see it talked about as much as I think it should be on here) and I came to realize that I had way to much moisture going on. Doing that test I don't wait until I have breakage or my hair feels rough to determine that I have too much protein either. By doign the test often you'll get to know if you could/should add protein this wash or not and when you better stay clear of protein. I truly feel that the key is to do it every wash for a while to see how your hair respons.

SN: I also like to use different types of protein - for balance as well...but that's another topic.