Weekly blowdrying with no heat protectant?

Kinkyhairlady

I am new to all this natural hairstyling so I may ask some dumb questions sorry. Anyways last night I washed and blowdried in order to stretch my hair a bit but I did not use heat protectant just knot today. I did not blowdry with a comb just pulled my hair straight and blew on it. Do you ladies think it will be safe to do this once a week without heat protectant? I just don't want to mis anything with the knot today. I have to admit my hair came out very nice. Slowly I'm learning.

I think if you'd like to maintain a healthy head of hair and remain with the natural curl pattern you have, then you should put on a heat protectant 100% of the time. You'd be doing a lot of damage by skipping this step. They don't call it a protectant for nothing.

No question is stupid girl!

And to answer your question.............I think you are really asking for trouble by not using a heat protectant. Heat dries out a lot of things. Look at prunes and raisins. Just bone dried up grapes and plums..............now imagine what heat does to hair.

so if I use a heat protectant do i put it over the leave in? will it affect my results? I don't even know what heat protectant to buy.

Chi silf infusion is a great heat protectant to use. It has silk amino acids in it, which leave flat ironed hair silky and shiny. I use it right before i blow dry my hair.

Kinkyhairlady you've been with us since 2003 and you're wondering if skipping the heat protectant is a bad idea? :lachen:

Now I know some ladies like using minimal product on their hair before a blow out, but I think it's a matter of finding the right product that you can use that will give you the desired effects. I think chi silk infusion is a good idea. I would actually consider using the chi product line (shampoo and conditioner) before any heat use, if you want to skimp on heat protectant, just because I think they use heat protectants in their conditioner. I'm not sure which one it is but there's one where they use it. So that coupled with chi skilk infusion should stop you from experiencing too much damage, but I would watch my hair very carefully!

Kinkyhairlady you've been with us since 2003 and you're wondering if skipping the heat protectant is a bad idea? :lachen:

Now I know some ladies like using minimal product on their hair before a blow out, but I think it's a matter of finding the right product that you can use that will give you the desired effects. I think chi silk infusion is a good idea. I would actually consider using the chi product line (shampoo and conditioner) before any heat use, if you want to skimp on heat protectant, just because I think they use heat protectants in their conditioner. I'm not sure which one it is but there's one where they use it. So that coupled with chi skilk infusion should stop you from experiencing too much damage, but I would watch my hair very carefully!

yes but I was relaxed and never used a heat protectant but my hair still flourished. NOw that I am natural I'm am trying to figure out what will work for me. I figured since I am not flat ironing nor blow drying with a comb maybe I don't need it. I know it may be a foolish question but i seriously don't know. I will get the Chi fusiion. I just hope it mixes well with the knot today.

yes but I was relaxed and never used a heat protectant but my hair still flourished. NOw that I am natural I'm am trying to figure out what will work for me. I figured since I am not flat ironing nor blow drying with a comb maybe I don't need it. I know it may be a foolish question but i seriously don't know. I will get the Chi fusiion. I just hope it mixes well with the knot today.

I was just teasing don't take it personal. :) It's not a foolish question, I just think everyone on the board is so gung ho for heat protectants that you would never hear someone say DONT use it. lol

I think you can skip a heat protectant depending on how good your DC is. If I'm DC'ing my hair with coconut oil (which is a natural protectant), then I know I can get away with blowdrying naked hair. I also do it by feel. But sometimes I'll use a serum on my ends just because.

I use heat protectants, but sometimes I think they don't do anything except make my hair easier to straighten. I'm not natural, I'm relaxed/texlaxed and I use the Chi line. If not, I use Nexxus Heat Protexx or IC Fantasia.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

Last edited:
I usually skip the heat protectant to be honest. My curls haven't suffered and I use a comb attachment. I also don't blowdry while it's really wet. I put my leave ins in and I let it air dry for a while. Then I blowdry when it's mostly dry so that I don't have to pass the blowdryer through too much.

Idk about weekly but i know with a great DC you can really skip the heat protectant or use very very little of it

Back