Weaves & Transitioning - Experts Wanted in Here!

05girl

Hi,

I am 7 going on 8 months post relaxer in my transition. I have a couple of inches of new growth (type 4 hair). Right now I am relying on heat every week, so I haven't given my hair much chance to develop its curls. (granted, i like wearing my hair straight; I'm not good at styling).

So I recently decided to weave it up for the FIRST TIME! But I am worried about blending. My friends are urging me to get 100% virgin indian remy... but I just don't know if it will match my hair. The stylists here in the ATL seem to supply their own good indian remy hair. I want either a straight or wavy weave (no curls, please). And I do not want a closure. I want the hair to last at least two installs. I also have committed to working out every day for the next 6 weeks, which means my edges will not stay straight. (which is fine, just want to not look crazy against the weave).

Based on research (mostly on BHM) I've determined:
Pros of virgin indian hair: curls and lasts longer.
Cons of virgin indian: may not match, may be too shiny
Pros of kinky/relaxed textured hair: probably will match better
Cons of textured hair: does not hold curls, may not last as long, may not be virgin

WHAT kind of hair should I buy?
---what brand
---what texture.
HOW can I ensure blend without flat-ironing my hair every day?

I am willing to spend around $300 for 8 oz. I am getting 12". My real hair is neck length at my chin, and i want the weave to hit around my shoulders/collarbone.

Tempted to get EPRT but it's a ton of money and not sure what color.
Really interested in Indique but - pure or bounce collection? and does not have great reviews on BHM.

TIA!!!!!!

Last edited:

ZkittyKurls

HEllo, Ive transitioned with weaves for about 8 months or so if not longer. I tried kinky straight which was ok in the begginning but after a while i was tired of straightening my hair or having to gel my endges down for it to lay. i bought this hair from hairesthetics.com and it was 10 inches.

i then tried allaboutmyhair kinky curly which was pretty good. It lasted for about 2 and a half months and i believe i reused it too. my hair is 4a mostly and their kinky curly is more of a 3c so a few times blending was an issue but not as much as with the kinky straight. i was able to wet my hair, gel the edges and put a headband around it and it blended very well. i got 16 inches which straightened came around apl.

and lastly i had the afro kinky curly from realhairexclusive which was the bomb! it blended with my natural hair perfectly!!! it is a little pricey but it lasts a loong while. there will be some shedding if you cut or not seal the wefts. the hair tangles just as any other kinky curly hair would but i loved it. it was worth the money that i spent. they come in pieces so i ordered 12, 14, 16, 18 inch pieces and the 14 in comes around my shoulders, the 18 in was waaayyy to long, i had it in the back and had to cut cuz lookin like a mullet was an understatement!! it was at least 4 inches longer, unstretched than the 16 in.

all in all i enjoyed having weaves during transitioning because tho it is some work it is still way less work than having to deal with your hair alone.

HTH

Makenzie

I just ordered Senghori Shells Rhythm Relaxer and I really like the hair. However, since you will be working out near daily, you probably should try the kinky texture so it will blend better. I just took out Outre Velvet Remy. I hated it. Didn't match my hair causing me to use a LOT of heat on my leaveout so it would blend.

Sent from my HTC Evo!