Weave Questions

Whimsy

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is it possible to get a short weave? Yeah right? Can I just get one done and cut it?

I'm kinda interested in doin a rihanna-ish bob but I'm not cutting my hair anytime soon.

What's the healthiest way to put one in? I saw on top model that they braid up your hair and sew it in. Is that the norm?

Does it damage your hair? If so how?

PureSilver

I've been wearing weaves for 2-3years as a protective style and it has grown my hair tremendously. The only issue i've had with breakage is when my hair front is left out and i have to comb or brush it so it looks like the rest of hair. I've had much breakage to my bangs and temples which i'm nurturing back to health, so right now i'm opting for full wigs to get me to BSL for 2008.

You can get it sewed in and cut to suit any style you want.

tinkat

I always thought about getting a short weave also. I used weaves to transtion and my hair grew out alot. The best method to me is when you get a full head weave with your hair braided underneath vertically, with a hair net. Your hair can get damaged if you leave it in too long, or if you are not careful when you remove the weave.

PureSilver

You can also view pics of my weave i my fotki, like tinkat said u have to be really careful when removing the weave so u don't cut out you own hair, your best bet is to get someone you trust help you remove it and please be patient.

PureSilver

Not @ all, i've kept it in for the longest 6wks, so 1mth is really fine. The longer the better for me, that =s less handling of my hair, more time to grow and retain length.

BeautifulFlower

My sister just did this twice to her hair and it suits her well. It looked really nice. We usually leave our weaves in about 3 to 4 weeks. We just cant get down with washing a weave so we dont leave it in long. Weaves can be very damaging if you have fragile hair but if you have thicker hair it works as a really good protective style. Making sure you moisturize in between the cornrows and the bottom of the cornrows every day to every other day protects against breakage. As for the part left out....I try and care for it like the rest of my hair was out. I'll use direct heat once a week as needed (even though I dont use direct heat but maybe once a month when out of a weave), wash and condition as needed, and most important tie down with scarf at night to keep it flat and straight. It will not grow as the other hair grows but what can you do.... Just dont leave out alot of hair.

Or you can get a weave with bang done. This will protect the whole head and look really chic and sharp.