Weave Question....Net or No Net???

UniquelyDivine

Ok so I have been reading posts upon posts about protective styling an I know that I wont be able to be consistent with a bun so I decided that I am going to get some weave put in my hair, and I am all set to go! I have been researching for months and I am going all out, I purchased some BEAUTIFUL virgin indian remy hair:lick:(BTW dont sleep on EBAY! 20" 8oz wefts for 80 bucks!!) But my question is should I get the hair sewn into a net or just sewn directly into the braid? I have heard alot of people say the net is better but others say its a no-go, I have never had hair sewn in before and I want to do it right because I plan on leaving it in for 2-3 months. So for you ladies that are experienced in this process can you tell me which is better and what lasts longer? Thanks!:grin:

PPGbubbles

It is all based on personal preference:

NET

Pros: the hair is easier to sew in and often will lay flatter, also a net can relieve tension off the hair and even serve as a filler for those with thin patches or bald spots

Cons: it is harder to access your scalp and takes longer to dry when wet

With out a net

Pros: your scalp can breath more and often drying time are shorter. IMO it is easier to "tighten" the foundation without a net

cons: you are restricted in your sewing technique. More of the thread is contacting the hair so there is potential for damage

sooo all in all I have had sew ins with a net and without 1 and although a net is convienient I did not like how restricting nets are. It is a trade off but I honestly prefer not to use a net

HTH!

Opey

Net!! always, makes sew-in look flatter, and there aren't humps of scalp everywhere, i do full head sew-ins with no hair left out at all.

Its also said nets put less stress on the hair when combing/brushing.

IDK what lasts longer, i usually leave my weaves in for 4-6 weeks.

What was the name of the ebay seller?

isawstars

Net!! always, makes sew-in look flatter, and there aren't humps of scalp everywhere, i do full head sew-ins with no hair left out at all.

I use a net for these reasons as well!

My Friend

I personally hated the net. It did do all the things listed above but I had to have it cut off the very next day.

UniquelyDivine

It is all based on personal preference:

NET

Pros: the hair is easier to sew in and often will lay flatter, also a net can relieve tension off the hair and even serve as a filler for those with thin patches or bald spots

Cons: it is harder to access your scalp and takes longer to dry when wet

With out a net

Pros: your scalp can breath more and often drying time are shorter. IMO it is easier to "tighten" the foundation without a net

cons: you are restricted in your sewing technique. More of the thread is contacting the hair so there is potential for damage

sooo all in all I have had sew ins with a net and without 1 and although a net is convienient I did not like how restricting nets are. It is a trade off but I honestly prefer not to use a net

HTH!

So how exactly is the net applied? Is it threaded into the hair?

UniquelyDivine

Her seller name is 2010tiffany101, but there are quite a bit of people who were selling high quality tracks on there, I was a bit sceptical at first but after reading all the positive feedback they were getting I was sold!

Kneechay

the net is something that a lot of folks dont realize causes damage as well.

-it restricts access to the scalp, keeping the scalp dirty. upon take down, there are clumps of disgusting dirt trapped in the net.
-the net is plastic and thin, like the netting on a window sill. it's sewed on top of the braids and when the weave is brushed in any direction, it agitates and breaks the hair on the braid.

RoundEyedGirl504

I say no net - you cannot wash your scalp really well with the the net and when you take it out that is gross. Plus, it makes the removal process harder b/c the net is gettingn wrapped up with hair and thread.

LilMissRed

I didnt like the net... couldnt get to my scalp like I wanted/needed to.. and once my hair started growing/'moving'.. so did the net so I'd have to keep pulling it down around the edges.. what a nerve wrecka!

my moms had the net and she was sooo upset when she took her install out.. her edges were a mess where the net had rubbed her hairline out

the net.. gets a :nono: vote from me

Last edited:

Day Dreamer

Sorry but I have no experience with the net. I am wearing a weave right now but without the net. I would like to say that I have access to my scalp and can imagine that your access would be slightly blocked with a net between your scalp and the weave hair. Just my two cents.

akgirl

I had the net, they sewed it to my cornrows and it actually made the tension/damage worse as far as pulling out the hair on my sides. Luckily I have crazy amounts of hair and you can't really see the loss anymore. But if they use it, I would just make sure you don't feel it tugging before they add the hair. If you do, have them redo it. It's not worth the damage.

glamazon386

the net is something that a lot of folks dont realize causes damage as well.

-it restricts access to the scalp, keeping the scalp dirty. upon take down, there are clumps of disgusting dirt trapped in the net.
-the net is plastic and thin, like the netting on a window sill. it's sewed on top of the braids and when the weave is brushed in any direction, it agitates and breaks the hair on the braid.

I had a few weaves with the net and I didn't notice dirt but I wouldn't be surprised. I took both of mine out in the 4-6 week range though bc that damn net was getting on my nerves. When I did have a net I had my weave washed at the salon every two weeks though so that may be why I didn't have an issue with dirt. He used to pour Sea Breeze down into the net so it could get to my scalp too.

I didn't like the fact that I couldn't scratch and wash it myself good. :nono: I didn't even think about it rubbing on the hair though.

Last edited:

Shananyganz

My installs have all been with a net, save one. I personally did not have any issue with the net and prefer it. I really think for me, my like of the net has been contingent upon how it was installed and my willingness to adopt work arounds (so to speak). I did not lose mass amount of hair or edges nor did I experience rubbing or added pressure. Just to clarify, the net I used was a rectangular shape, sewn onto my base, with the excess material cut off. It was not the actual net wig cap with the elastic edges.

In anycase, I WILL say, that the net DOES make it difficult to get to your natural hair; I had to take extra measures when caring for my natural hair underneath to make sure I was getting to my scalp and cleansing and moisturizing it as much as possible. I also had to make sure I had a bobby pin handy to scrath at my scalp if need be. There were other little measures I took along the way that made the net a better option for me.

I know it is extra work, but I tend to keep my installs for longer than average and the net helps me do just that. It also allows the extension hair to lie flatter for a more natural look and for me, it takes some of the stress off my braided base. I limit my styling when in a weave, to cut down on any pulling or tugging I might encounter.

I didn't like my install without the net; even though I had easy access to my scalp, my weave did not last as long ot look as natural. Just my experience.

This is a great post topic, very beneficial to know both sides.

~S~

preciouslove0x

I think the net is a bad thing all around (meaning the bad COMPLETELY outweighs the good). I was a consistent weave wearer for the past four years and used the net once. I felt like my head was in a helmet for the three months I wore the weave. It was just so uncomfortable (well more like me knowing that there was a net on top of my head constantly just really bothered me). At the time I washed my hair once every two weeks. When I took the weave out, I started crying immediately when I saw my hair. The state of my hair was devastating. My edges were completely gone. The hair thats closest to my ears was completely rubbed off as well. Not to add it took for ever to cut away the net from the thread and hair. And the person who did my weave with the net is the same lady that had done my other weaves without the net (which were ALWAYS on point).

I want to save you some time and sorrow..... try weave without the net the very first time and see how you like it. Then if you feel like you want to try the net the next time then go ahead. Personally my hair thrived with weaves (w/o net). And I wore my weaves on average 4 months at a time. I started out with 1 month at a time... then 2 then 3 then 4. Since you have already done your research I just want to make sure you have this one piece of advice. It is very VERY important the TYPE of thread you use!!

ETA: I didn't even talk about how DISGUSTING my hair was. THANK GOD I GOT MY MOM TO TAKE IT OUT AND NO ONE ELSE! I had this particular weave in for 3 months. The filth was just falling all over my shirt as my mom was cutting the net away. Yuck!!!!!

Last edited: