washing natural hair series

greenandchic

Brushes is what kept my natural hair from retaining length for years. :nono: No can do. Yes, she was stingy with the conditioner! I'd rather use too much than too little. It takes longer to grow out broken hair than to buy a new bottle/tub of conditioner.

I do like how she shampooed the client's hair in the beginning: Clarify first on dry hair and then use a moisturizing shampoo for the second wash. I must try that!

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I like shampoo part of the video, and the fact that she wasn't an SHS. Everything else was a no.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Even I can't use a paddle brush. I can see why she used it though as it does make styling easier. It tangled and pulled my hair too much.

She wasn't scissor happy, but the ultimate style didn't really say if that was a good think or not because her hair still looked a little fuzzy.

NaturallyATLPCH

I watched the video and agree with what most people said.

I also heard the stylist say something about applying products to hair from root to tip. According to my knowledge it's the exact opposite; tip to root because the ends are the oldest part of the hair.

I would encourage newly naturalistas to read instead of taking the short cut and watching this video. Glad I learned what I know from reading. Knowledge is power.

That paddle brush on those dry ends though... :eek:

AJellyCake

Brushes is what kept my natural hair from retaining length for years. :nono: No can do. Yes, she was stingy with the conditioner! I'd rather use too much than too little. It takes longer to grow out broken hair than to buy a new bottle/tub of conditioner. I do like how she shampooed the client's hair in the beginning: Clarify first on dry hair and then use a moisturizing shampoo for the second wash. I must try that!

greenandchic I'll definitely remember this the next time I feel bad about applying gobs of conditioner to my hair! :) :lol:

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Do you really need to use 2 shampoos. If you properly clarify, your hair is clean. Plus, it didn't seem like she was cleaning the scalp. I scrub my scalp without tangling my ends by holding the length. I think I learned that from naptural85.

Overall, I was not impressed. I actually dropped a stylist because she used a paddle brush on my hair. I haven't been back to see one since.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I understand that she wants to teach people to streamline the process however, anything done badly is done quicker than when its done right.

This is similar to cooking in my opinion however I digress.

If you want to maintain your length with a few tweaks you can use her suggestions. If you are growing your out your hair however, I feel that a more in-depth view must be taken towards her suggestions.

I think she had some good points, but a paddle brush on dry hair 4c hair = :nono:. Also, using trimming in the place of eliminating harmful maintenance methods i.e. improper detangling is a short road to frustration when it comes to attaining length goals.

Last edited:

Subscribe

I watched the video and agree with what most people said.

I also heard the stylist say something about applying products to hair from root to tip. According to my knowledge it's the exact opposite; tip to root because the ends are the oldest part of the hair.

I would encourage newly naturalistas to read instead of taking the short cut and watching this video. Glad I learned what I know from reading. Knowledge is power.

That paddle brush on those dry ends though... :eek:

i think she meant while in that position during a wash to keep cuticles going in one direction.

Theresamonet

I disagree with this stylist that ssk's/fairy knots come from needing a trim. Also she stated that split ends seep out moisture... :confused:

I hate when stylists speak as if what they are saying is gospel... Throwing out numbers like 90%, talking about "most people", etc... Everyone's hair is different. Even the most popular stylists have only done a relatively tiny portion of the populations hair.