Warning, whine post! UGHH my scalp is so sore and tender.

*Michelle*

I'm trying to do my nightly scalp massage. I only, gently, use the balls of my fingertips as I am already tenderheaded:eek: My scalp is just so sore in many spots...MY NAPS HURT and I'm trying to stretch as long as possible.

I don't know whats wrong:confused: I'm getting concerned cuz its been a couple of day like this!

guesswho

Really? I feel for you, are you bunning and putting tention on your scalp? Did you change your regime or something, I wish I could help I sometimes have tender scalp when my bun is to tight but that's all I could think about, hth

*Michelle*

guesswho said:
Really? I feel for you, are you bunning and putting tention on your scalp? Did you change your regime or something, I wish I could help I sometimes have tender scalp when my bun is to tight but that's all I could think about, hth

awww Thanks!

No regimen change, I only do that every four months. I've only been bunning loosely or one or two loose french braids. Its only tender when I touch it...seems weird. I haven't had a t-up since Feb 15, but I normally go 3mos :confused:

You know what I did add iron (dr prescribed) on April 21...could that be it?

guesswho

I'm gonna do a search on that, its very posible, everything you take have some side effect, is it painful or just tender?

*Michelle*

Just tender to the touch...nor sores, scratches, scabs, red spots or anything like that.

Good idea, me too! True about side effects...they say high doses of iron (I'm on 625 mg) can make you constipated. Not me, so maybe this is my side effect :( Honestly this may be the lesser of two evils...LOL!

Junonia

I've been having this problem for the past 2 1/2 weeks. My scalp is sore and I can't figure out why. I am have scabs and it's not red. My scalp has never been sore for this long period of time:confused: . I may have to go to the doctor if it does not ease up in a few days.

sareca

My scalp gets weird sore spots (in the crown usually) too. They don't last long so I just ignore them.

lana

My scalp gets sore when I have a lot of new growth or when my hair is growing a lot. I just rub calming oil on it and try not to manipulate my hair. Take a tylenol and make sure your scalp is well moisturized. Steamy showers help.

chiprecious

ILuvsmuhgrass said:
My scalp (in the crown area) usually gets sore right before a growth spurt. :look:

Bingo. I get this almost every spring, when I up my vitamins, or start massaging my scalp with a rosemary oil mixture. Also, I notice its only in my most coarse areas (my crown). I have sooo much newgrowth in those areas. But it hurts and it feels like: :hammer:
From my experience, the only thing to do it quite often scalp massages...thats what I'm doing in my one area...right at my desk! :yep:

Indigo's Hair

I can feel your pain. I get those pains regularly when my hair has grown and it is time for a new relaxer. On most occasions, I tend to get a touch-up when I just can't take the pain anymore. I always thought it was because I have thick growth. But, I never tried to get medical advice on it. If someone has spoken to a dermatologist and have an answer I would love to know.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I experienced this problem, too, in the temple area and some spots at the crown. It's a painful soreness/tenderness, too! I did a Yahoo search on the possible causes but am not pleased with the speculation: some say that soreness/tenderness is a sign of growth; others speculate that it's a more serious problem, quite the opposite of a spurt. However, the verdict is out. Does anyone really know what causes this? I haven't been satisfied with an answer or explanation yet. I performed a search here but really couldn't find anything, either.

I do hope it's a spurt... ;)

Junonia

Serenity_Peace said:
I experienced this problem, too, in the temple area and some spots at the crown. It's a painful soreness/tenderness, too! I did a Yahoo search on the possible causes but am not pleased with the speculation: some say that soreness/tenderness is a sign of growth; others speculate that it's a more serious problem, quite the opposite of a spurt. However, the verdict is out. Does anyone really know what causes this? I haven't been satisfied with an answer or explanation yet. I performed a search here but really couldn't find anything, either.

I do hope it's a spurt... ;)

I did a search also and none of the articles mentioned anything about growth. The searches I found were usually symptoms something.

Arcadian

for me sore scalp = ton o growth. My scalp will get mad hot too! Dosen't last very long, maybe 2-3 days when it happens. but then again it can happen 3 times a year. Thats usually when I've a 2 inch afro sitting under my relaxed hair:lol:

But yeah go head and whine cause its very uncomfortable. just don't mainpulate so much if you can help it.

If it continues longer than a few days then it could definitly warrant a trip Dr trip, but it HOPEFULLY should subside soon.

-A

*Michelle*

I forgot I posted this and things haven't changed!

Thanks for all the responses...looks like there is no "real" conclusion, so I'll just go with growth!!:eek: :D