Warning!!! Those who own a CHI flat iron...

God's Anointed

I saw a CHI flat iron today that was really used and the lady showed me how their flat iron isn't 100% ceramic. She showed me how it's just COATED with ceramic and that the inside is actually just a regular flat iron (like those gold plated ones). I was so shocked and i ran home to make sure that my flat iron said 100% ceramic. This just to showed how some flat irons out there are kinda ripping you off... I'm not trying to go against anyone with a CHI but did you guys notice any difference between their ceramic iron and a regular gold platd iron? I know you guys said that ceramic is better for the hair but shouldn't it be 100% ceramic or it just doesn't really matter?

indefinite said:
Wow, I have the HAI. I need to check it. I wonder if that is what burned my hair off....

Totally off topic, but what kind of lipgloss are you wearing in your pic. It's really pretty!

I don't have a CHI but was considering getting one until I found out about this a few weeks ago. All that money they charge and they aren't even 100% ceramic. :nono:

So i was wondering, if it says that it's 100% ceramic, does that mean tha it really is 100% ceramic? I bought my flat iron on ebay and the fact that it said 100% ceramic with Tourmaline coating got my attention. So should i trust that it's 100% ceramic, even though i got it for a REALLY great deal? The original price for my flat iron was between $100-$200. I also found some research about the tourmaline that they mentioned.

What is Tourmaline?
Tourmaline is a precious stone that possesses unique ionic and infrared properties. The presence of Tourmaline mineral guarantees unsurpassed performance to make the SCP High Performance Tourmaline Ceramic Iron totally unique in it's class. The secret is the use of this very expensive, natural emitter of negative ions and infrared heat, working like a magnet, Tourmaline is the strongest, longest lasting source available. Negative ions close the cuticle layer to create a smooth, silky hair surface and seal in the hair’s natural moisture. This provides ultimate shine, colour and moisture protection, and also eliminate static electricity on the hair surface so hair is left silky and frizz-free! A precious stone, Tourmaline works by itself, just like a magnet. It naturally emits the most negative ions and infrared heat possible. This means you get the best results, and the silkiest, shiniest, healthiest hair imaginable. Guaranteed.

Why isn’t Ceramic enough?
Traditional ceramic irons rely on heat alone which risks damage to the hair. SCP relies on ionic and infrared juices, which provides a better, healthier method. More Fabulous Results – while lowering the Risk of Damage to your Hair! SCP High Performance Tourmaline Ceramic Irons give shinier, silkier, smoother and healthier hair than other ceramic irons.

Tourmaline. How does it work?
The secret is the use of this very expensive, natural emitter of ions and infrared. Working like a magnet, Tourmaline is the strongest, longest lasting source of ionic and infrared ‘juice’. Used in medicine, skincare, air and water purifiers, SCP brings this unique substance to the hair industry to bring substantial performance-enhancing benefits.

Why are negative ions important when using a hair iron?

Negative ions close the cuticle layer to create a smooth, silky hair surface and seal in the hair’s natural moisture. This provides ultimate shine, colour and moisture protection for hair. Negative Irons also eliminate static electricity on the hair surface so hair is left silky and frizz-free![/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

I used it once and it left my hair feeling great! I'll post a pic of the iron when i can but i don't know when that will be.

I'm glad that you posted this. I was shocked and disappointed when my CHI arrived and it clearly states in the Owner's Manual on the Descriptions page "Ceramic Coated Paddles." I haven't used it yet, maybe I will return it. Which ones are completely ceramic??

I noticed this with my CHI. There are small scratches on my CHI that reveal a dark brown underneath the gold plating. I'll take pictures and post them on this thread. At first, I thought it was residue from my hair until after I took a cloth and wiped the iron clean. Well I'm glad at least I paid only $80.00 instead of the full price.

God's Anointed said:
So i was wondering, if it says that it's 100% ceramic, does that mean tha it really is 100% ceramic? I bought my flat iron on ebay and the fact that it said 100% ceramic with Tourmaline coating got my attention. So should i trust that it's 100% ceramic, even though i got it for a REALLY great deal? The original price for my flat iron was between $100-$200. I also found some research about the tourmaline that they mentioned.

What is Tourmaline?

Tourmaline is a precious stone that possesses unique ionic and infrared properties. The presence of Tourmaline mineral guarantees unsurpassed performance to make the SCP High Performance Tourmaline Ceramic Iron totally unique in it's class. The secret is the use of this very expensive, natural emitter of negative ions and infrared heat, working like a magnet, Tourmaline is the strongest, longest lasting source available. Negative ions close the cuticle layer to create a smooth, silky hair surface and seal in the hair’s natural moisture. This provides ultimate shine, colour and moisture protection, and also eliminate static electricity on the hair surface so hair is left silky and frizz-free! A precious stone, Tourmaline works by itself, just like a magnet. It naturally emits the most negative ions and infrared heat possible. This means you get the best results, and the silkiest, shiniest, healthiest hair imaginable. Guaranteed.

Why isn’t Ceramic enough?
Traditional ceramic irons rely on heat alone which risks damage to the hair. SCP relies on ionic and infrared juices, which provides a better, healthier method. More Fabulous Results – while lowering the Risk of Damage to your Hair! SCP High Performance Tourmaline Ceramic Irons give shinier, silkier, smoother and healthier hair than other ceramic irons.​

Tourmaline. How does it work?
The secret is the use of this very expensive, natural emitter of ions and infrared. Working like a magnet, Tourmaline is the strongest, longest lasting source of ionic and infrared ‘juice’. Used in medicine, skincare, air and water purifiers, SCP brings this unique substance to the hair industry to bring substantial performance-enhancing benefits.​

Why are negative ions important when using a hair iron?
Negative ions close the cuticle layer to create a smooth, silky hair surface and seal in the hair’s natural moisture. This provides ultimate shine, colour and moisture protection for hair. Negative Irons also eliminate static electricity on the hair surface so hair is left silky and frizz-free![/size][/size][/font]​

I used it once and it left my hair feeling great! I'll post a pic of the iron when i can but i don't know when that will be.

I don't think 100% ceramic means the plates are just ceramic. I think it means that the top layer is 100% ceramic(not mixed with anything else). You have to have a super conducting metal on the bottom to conduct heat faster and better to the ceramic plates. Ceramic is a thermal insulator(used to reduce the rate of heat transfer to the hair I guess).

That sounds like my sedu. The top half is ceramic and tourmaline and the bottom half is titanium... well that's what the picture on the box shows. But they didn't say it was 100% ceramic. I've used it for 3 years and I love it!! http://www.folica.com/Sedu_Ionic_Cera_d1560.html

Also, you might want to check the company website to see if they really claim it to be 100% ceramic because the ebay seller might just put it in there to catch your attention.

Last edited:
MzLady78 said:
Totally off topic, but what kind of lipgloss are you wearing in your pic. It's really pretty!

:eek: MizAvalon, I was TOTALLY thinking the same thing?! HAHA:lachen:
And now back to our show...:look:

Yes I knew about the fake plated ones. My hairstylist is a detective when it comes to hair products. The full ceramic is better for the same reason you just said, when it wears away you no longer have the ceramic to protect and seal your hair.

Now I have owned a flat that was truly 100% ceramic. I didnt care for it, seemed like my hair would be damaged more. The best flat iron I have ever had..I purchased from walmart for $14. I think the brand is Andis and the plates are just coated. I recommend not spending a bunch of money on irons. The best ones are sometimes the cheapest ones

I love my CHI. I don't have an issue with the coated plates, if you see they're getting run down or after a certain amount of time you should replace it, thats all.

MizAvalon said:
I just checked out a CHI on that site and noticed that they sell some kind of CHI hot sauce? Anyone know what in the world that is?:perplexed
The hot sauce is a heat protective serum.

indefinite said:
Thanks! It's Mac chestnut liner and spite gloss.

I just checked, it's true. My iron is ceramic plated. This is the one my stylist used. Dag, I can't afford $400:ohwell:

http://www.beautygalaxy.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=117

Well I think we probably just have to replace our "plated" irons more frequently. I have a jilbere that I used to love but I guess the plating is wearing away and that's probably why I can't get my hair to look as great as it use to when flat-ironing. Maybe every 2 years depending on usage?

I was on a website the other day doing iron comparison (lol) and they were saying that about 95% of all ceramic irons are plated, and the full ceramic ones cost an arm and a leg but can break easily. I don't mind spending $40 bucks every 2 yrs to replace a good thing.

balisi said:
The hot sauce is a heat protective serum.

I thought that was by FHI. Well, I own a bottle of the FHI hot sauce cream. I never knew CHI had one, as well.

I don't know of my FHI is coated or not, but is FAR better than the cheapie brands sold at the BIG BOX stores like Walmart and Target.

I admit I used a really good ceramic coated iron by Revlon that I got from Target for $20. I was good, but only lasted a few months before the plates started to chip and I had to buy another one. Then I decided to just get the FHI that was about $80 and it has lasted for years.

MzLady78 said:

See now I was going to ask the same question during another topic, I think it was during Kini's hair update but I didn't want to highjack the topic! Glad you did it, I realllllllly wanted to know! :lachen:

HoneyDew said:
I thought that was by FHI. Well, I own a bottle of the FHI hot sauce cream. I never knew CHI had one, as well.

HoneyDew I checked and you're right, the hot sauce is by FHI. I got confused because they have it as a recommended product under one of the CHI irons.

MizAvalon said:
HoneyDew I checked and you're right, the hot sauce is by FHI. I got confused because they have it as a recommended product under one of the CHI irons.

Okay. I have that. It is a leave in that has cones in it. It is okay, but I did not find it good for long term moisture.

nubianqt86 said:
I love my CHI. I don't have an issue with the coated plates, if you see they're getting run down or after a certain amount of time you should replace it, thats all.

yup yup..........

HoneyDew said:
I think you're right. I stand corrected.

Back