Waist Length Challenge 2015

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Yeah, I haven't had hateration either. I think it's because I wear my hair natural, so you can't see the length. I have had compliments when my hair is in a twist out or blown out.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I haven't had any haters. Most people are really nice and they want to know where I get my hair done. Close friends and family ask about my hair products.

greenandchic

No haters. I get a lot of stares when my hair is out or when I wear a ponytail but I get mostly complements and the occasional "is that your hair?" look or question.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
My hair is in a protective style a majority of the time so I don't really get too much comments these days besides some people asking if I'm natural. When I have worn my hair out I would get compliments and the occasional looks, I've had an Asian lady ask me if my hair was a wig at one point.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF please excuse typos

sgold04

Yes to the haters, but it tends to be a class/level of education issue when it comes to women in my age range. Educated Black women will compliment my hair and/or we'll exchange hair tips. Lots of stank looks and intense focus on my scalp with some other women, but it pretty much only happens here in my current city, not when I'm elsewhere.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
As I lose this baby weight, my waist is becoming more defined again. And it seems like I am closer to waist than I originally thought. If I don't trim anymore this year I can make it by December.

ImanAdero

Huh? I thought I posted QOTW! Well here it is...

QOTW: Have you noticed any hateration now that your hair is IRL long?

Nope... women have just been like your hair is great. If they're hating I don't know and I kinda don't care either. People tend to ask what products I use.

Fine 4s

Here is my current length measured with my first length check T-shirt. Each bar is 1" apart so I'm about 3.5 inches away from WL. I measured 8" between APL to WL. Hopefully I can reach the last bar by the end of the year.
I will not trim until the end of the year and will do it myself. I'm also getting crochet braids at the end of the month and won't remove until June for the ultimate protective style :)

Attachments

• image-3952837311.jpg
    image-3952837311.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 66
  • image-2127661006.jpg
    image-2127661006.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

angelhairtype4

I've been wearing my mini twists for 2 weeks now. I'm going to keep them in for another 2 weeks. I always get people asking who did my twists. When I tell them I did, they ask how much I charge. I tell them I don't do hair and explain all you have to do if just two strand twist your own hair. I always get "Wait! So all that's your hair!" I say yep...then they insert whatever reason they can't achieve it and walk off.

Anywho...it took 3 days to finish my whole head because I was working in between. I moisturize the ends every couple of days. I oil massage, rinse and, moisturize once a week. After workouts I rinse my scalp only and pat dry.

When I take these down I will put medium twists in. I'll probably braid the roots though to keep them from locking when working out.

ForumRunner_20150316_090942.jpg

ForumRunner_20150316_090958.jpg

I always get "Wait! So all that's your hair!" I say yep...then they insert whatever reason they can't achieve it and walk off.

I get that ALLLL the time. It drives me crazy! I think its so great to see black women embrace our natural beauty (even if it's permed or textlaxed, just minus the dependency on weaves and wigs to feel beautiful). So I always try to encourage or nudge women who ask me about my hair. But I get the SAME response. "I don't have that kind of hair". And I'm looking like...ummm I have 4c hair:look:. The funniest response I've ever heard was "I don't have that good Nigerian hair like you." :spinning: I've never heard that one before. :lol:

Sprinkl3s

I get.
"Is that all your hair? Do you know how long it would be if you relaxed it? You should just relax it, it would be so long and pretty."

Girl, my hair is this long cause I don't have a relaxer. I know what a relaxer is.

.... Sometimes I do miss that fresh relaxer feeling but this is the longest my hair has ever been. No thanks.

sgold04

I'm taking out my crochet braids a week early because of a special event (my braids look raggedy). I won't get my next install for about 3 weeks, I miss my hair.

Fine 4s

I'm taking out my crochet braids a week early because of a special event (my braids look raggedy). I won't get my next install for about 3 weeks, I miss my hair.

How did the crochet help your hair? Any tips or pointers?
I'm installing in about a week.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I purchased the Komaza Analysis w/a phone consultation. My hair is just not retaining like it did in 2013 when I first started my HHJ. I don't understand. I'm willing to cut a lot of hair in order to get my back on track. I'm not reaching WL anyway this year, so I'm not trippin over cutting if I have to. I will let yall know the results when I get them.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I want an analysis too, but I keep procrastinating.

I guess if I am not Bsl/Mbl by mid year I will go ahead and do it.

sgold04

How did the crochet help your hair? Any tips or pointers? I'm installing in about a week.

I've been in crochet braids 6 out of the last 9 months, I tend to take a couple weeks off after I've had a few installs. It has definitely helped with retention. A girl does mine, there are limits to my diy abilities. She styles the hair in Havana twists instead of leaving the synthetic hair loose. I prefer it that way so I don't have to worry about tangling.

I feel like it's easy to keep my real hair moisturized, I mix kckt and water in a spray bottle and use once a day. After I workout, or whenever I feel the need. I apply witch hazel on my scalp with a cotton ball, sometimes I'll use a tiiiiny bit of tea tree oil and olive oil on my scalp as well. The first time I had crochet braids I would moisturize and then put oil on my hair to seal, but when I took my hair down, there was a lot of buildup due to the oil mixing with lint and such, so it was difficult to detangle.

Make sure you don't pull to tight when trying to "put away" the length of hair that's not cornrowed to your scalp. Once the hair is installed it's even tighter.

I made the mistake of starting my wash day late at night, so I'll try to think of more stuff once I'm well rested lol.

faithVA

I've been wearing my mini twists for 2 weeks now. I'm going to keep them in for another 2 weeks. I always get people asking who did my twists. When I tell them I did, they ask how much I charge. I tell them I don't do hair and explain all you have to do if just two strand twist your own hair. I always get "Wait! So all that's your hair!" I say yep...then they insert whatever reason they can't achieve it and walk off.

Anywho...it took 3 days to finish my whole head because I was working in between. I moisturize the ends every couple of days. I oil massage, rinse and, moisturize once a week. After workouts I rinse my scalp only and pat dry.

When I take these down I will put medium twists in. I'll probably braid the roots though to keep them from locking when working out.

View attachment 300777

View attachment 300779

Very pretty. You did a great job.

faithVA

I purchased the Komaza Analysis w/a phone consultation. My hair is just not retaining like it did in 2013 when I first started my HHJ. I don't understand. I'm willing to cut a lot of hair in order to get my back on track. I'm not reaching WL anyway this year, so I'm not trippin over cutting if I have to. I will let yall know the results when I get them.

The good news is that you probably won't have to trim that much. They aren't big on cutting large amounts of hair unless it is severely damaged. I doubt that you have that type of damage. And even if you did they would recommend a 1/2" to 1" trim now with smaller dustings during the year :yep:

Can't wait to hear about your analysis. When we had a lot of people getting them back to back we learned so much.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I'm going to wash tomorrow and send in some hair samples on Monday. Hopefully I get 100 sheds. I don't think I really shed that much. I will shampoo really well.

Anyway, QOTW time!

What is your go to style and why?

ImanAdero

Got Senegalese twists done today. Gonna try to keep them in for 2 months.

As for the QOTW: my go ti has Been flat twist outs. They look so popping and give me a great faux bob.

Last edited:

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I have been very quiet for the last few months due to a combination of work and school. I'm dropping out of this challenge due to a much needed haircut I received last week. I was trying to transition, but the breakage and tangled just overwhelmed me. No matter how much conditioner I used to provide slip, my protein/ moisture balance routine, or finger detangled my hair; I just could not get any reprieve. My hair is so much better right now. I do miss the length, but it will grow back.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My go to style right now is a half wig. It looks just like my blown out hair. I wear my hair braided underneath and I wash every 5-6 days. My wig regimen allows me to work out as much as I want without worrying about reversion.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I have been very quiet for the last few months due to a combination of work and school. I'm dropping out of this challenge due to a much needed haircut I received last week. I was trying to transition, but the breakage and tangled just overwhelmed me. No matter how much conditioner I used to provide slip, my protein/ moisture balance routine, or finger detangled my hair; I just could not get any reprieve. My hair is so much better right now. I do miss the length, but it will grow back.

keranikki are you big chopping? If so, make sure we get pictures! :)

Fine 4s

sgold04

Make sure you don't pull to tight when trying to "put away" the length of hair that's not cornrowed to your scalp. Once the hair is installed it's even tighter. I made the mistake of starting my wash day late at night, so I'll try to think of more stuff once I'm well rested lo

Are rested yet lol? Any more tips?
The girl who's going to braid my hair doesn't braid too tight and I'm leaving a couple of inches out all around and at the part for a natural look.
I can't wait. This should get me close to my final goal.

sgold04

sgold04 Are rested yet lol? Any more tips? The girl who's going to braid my hair doesn't braid too tight and I'm leaving a couple of inches out all around and at the part for a natural look. I can't wait. This should get me close to my final goal.

Lol, yes I am! I can't think of anything else right now, but if you have any specific questions that pop up feel free to PM me. I think you'll love it, it's my favorite protective style, especially because installing takes a fraction of the time compared to other long term protective styles.