Waist Length Challenge 2015

Fine 4s

Here is a pic of my blow dried natural hair today.
It's braided now but when I take the braids out I'll stretch it out and not have a dark backdrop.
I want to be full WL in 2015 without stretching. Like I am standing right now.

Attachments

• image-395215198.jpg
    image-395215198.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 177
  • image-2503868960.jpg
    image-2503868960.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 187

tasha5951

I've been using sew ins as my protective style for the last year or so. I just got back from Bermuda yesterday and took out my sew in so that I could throughly wash out all of that salt water and give my hair a good deep condition. My sew in had been in for about 10 weeks. I'm getting my next install done on July 1st.

I'm currently 26ish weeks post relaxer….For now I'm just stretching but we'll see…I may decide to transition :)

Anyway, here's a side pic of where my hair is right now….I think I'm full MBL right now (finally) and about 6" or so from WL. Goal is full WL by the end of 2015

Attachments

• 10431700_777825435594854_1119843669713583735_n.jpg
    10431700_777825435594854_1119843669713583735_n.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 174

angelhairtype4

Hi ladies! I hope everyone is having a great summer.

I've been busy with work, moving, and preparing my kids for the new school year.

I've been experimenting with wash n go's in-between my low manipulation styles. I will be getting a wig soon. I saw it on fusionofcultures channel and omg I got to get it. I'm going to get it by September is the latest because I want to get the 20 in. I will post a link of the hair review, and picks when I get home.

Eta: Fusionofcultures wig review http://youtu.be/w6msGcSOV30

Hair site http://kingmehair.com/product/king-me-kurly-wig

I think I might color mine as well. I have been getting a lot of compliments with a wig I recently tried out, but I wanted something that resembled my texture.

Below is a pic of the wig I am currently wearing. I just use it for my lazy days when my hair is to frizzy but I don't feel like unraveling my twists yet. And yes those are twists you see sticking out lol...

Attachments

• hair color 1.jpg
    hair color 1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

ImanAdero

I'm starting to wonder if I'll be able to make waist length at all.

And I'm sort of over trying to.

I just got about 1.5-2 inches cut off when I got my weave put in... So I'm back at either BSB/ right above BSL... I dunno I'm just kinda over it.

Maybe I just need to keep this see in thing going so I so t worry/think about my hair.

JJamiah

What do you mean not long at all?!?!? You and your hair look like Rock Stars:grin:

:thankyou::thankyou::happydance::hippie4:

:bighug:

@Firstborn2... THank you so much. :grin:
I just feel like I should have had more growth.. plus I got a cut last month, necessary. I will be upping my DC back to weekly. Steaming every other week and deep conditioning for extended periods every other week, including my protein treatments... I have fallen off.

NaturalfienD

A few ladies have mentioned weave in this thread- any tips for takedown?
I have a weave in that I'm taking down this weekend...if takedown goes well I might get another one...

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

@sharifeh- I am sorry but I don't have any tips to share for takedown ... but I am curious if you ended up getting a new install completed. Did you notice any growth from the last install?

Do you guys know of anybody who sells silk beanies and bandanas? I'm coming up on SL and I need more accessories. Bows aren't cutting it anymore.

@iVR- No ma'am, I am not hip to any vendors that sell silk beanies/bandanas ... please let us know if you find any because silk beanies sounds fly to me. :yep:

NaturalfienD

Checking in ...

Hi ladies! I am noticing some beautiful heads of hair all up and throughout this thread since the last check in, I am happy that you all are doing what you do to get to WL (and you know we are gonna get there, right?!) :yep:

I took my Marley twist install out earlier this week. I am all about that style but with the length that I was doing them and the Vegas summer heat- they had to GO. So, I did tons of research on crochet braids and that is what I am rocking right now. I am so proud of myself because I French braided my hair all by myself (shout out to me!) I might finish out the year doing crochet braids ...

I did a prepoo using Chicoro's recipe (that I absolutely love and has helped my hair tremendously!) and I held my word by not using the two-step Aphogee treatment. This time, I used Naptural85's protein sensitive mix with a little Aphogee reconstructor that I had left. My hair was super soft and strong, I really noticed a huge difference in my hair's reaction using this mix, as opposed to the two-step. Of course, I deep conditioned with Beyond the Zone: Last Call and I added some avocado to enhance the moisture.

Bomb, all day.

Did my usual deep moisture method: spray something moisturizing, massage in a deep conditioner, and seal with a heavy grease before braiding myself up. My hair grew and I retained a lot. The plan is to be MBL by August, my next take down.

I hope you all are doing well ...

Last edited:

felic1

I'm starting to wonder if I'll be able to make waist length at all.

And I'm sort of over trying to.

I just got about 1.5-2 inches cut off when I got my weave put in... So I'm back at either BSB/ right above BSL... I dunno I'm just kinda over it.

Maybe I just need to keep this see in thing going so I so t worry/think about my hair.

Hello Sis! I think your hair is very lovely. It looks fabulous to me just blown out with you sitting in a chair. I had some cut off in December. I was creeping up to APL and went back to shoulder. It needed trimming. I was discouraged. I guess it grew three inches or so since then. I can put it in a small bun. Count your lovely hair blessings!:look:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Checking in! I've been lurking, but not posting as much. I'm still taking my Manetabolism vitamins. So far I've received 1/2" of growth each month. If this continues, I will reach MBL by September. I will probably go back to using sulfur next month. I'm a slow grower, so I need all the help I can get! :lol:

Anyway, my regimen is still the same. Pretty much just cocleansing every week, dcing every week, shampoo every few weeks, and clarify every month or so. I keep my hair up and out of the way every day with twists updos or just a single braid pinned up.

Oh and I really need to get my stash down. I will be adding an extra cowash day in during the week.

PlainJane

I'm not sure if I already posted this in here, but I might have to drop out of this challenge because I decided to transition to natural. I'm only 6 months into my transition but there's a major difference in thickness between my bonelaxed ends and new growth. I'm afraid growing my hair to waist length and not trimming will have my hair looking crazy, but I'll wait and see.

NaturalfienD

I'm not sure if I already posted this in here, but I might have to drop out of this challenge because I decided to transition to natural. I'm only 6 months into my transition but there's a major difference in thickness between my bonelaxed ends and new growth. I'm afraid growing my hair to waist length and not trimming will have my hair looking crazy, but I'll wait and see.

Good luck on your new journey PlainJane ... HHG to you, enjoy it!! :yep:

caliscurls

I joined this challenge at the beginning but haven't really posted since I wasn't sure how my transition would go.

As of Thursday my transition is over after 14 months and 3 weeks!! Woohoo! Looking at all the new growth opened my eyes up to the drastic difference in growth rates on this head.

The back is APL, the middle back a little past APL. The sides are shoulder length and higher, lol. It's soooo layered but I love it.

Lots of words to say, I'm really in for Waist Length 2015 now. As long as I stay consistent I think the middle back will make it by December 2015.

krissyhair

Let me give my little check in,

I started the summer bun challenge in hopes to get some extra length this summer.

I think as long as I start to use more strengthening conditioners, and finger comb more instead of using my combs and tools I'll be alright. My length is inching past full APL and I hope to be BSL by September or so.

ILuvCurls

Hello @JJamiah Thank you for this challenge. I'm new to this forum :wave: and would like to join in. I'm trying out some of the great suggestions I have read on LHCF and this challenge could be a good format to help keep me informed and motivated.

Ultimate goal: A thick, full head of healthy WL hair.
How many inches to WL: About 7 inches.
Natural or relaxed: Natural.
Issues: Extremely dry, frizzy, flyaway hair. My ends are breaking/thinning, and I also have too much shedding from the scalp. My hair grows 1/2 inch per month but the ends thin out so quickly I'm cutting as fast as it grows in, to keep thickness. I'm worried about my hair's health.

My planned regimen for this challenge:
1) Wash hair 1x per week with a gentle sulfate-free shampoo. Deep condition, alternating between protein and moisture masks.

2) From now on, I will only use filtered water on my hair. We have a reverse osmosis filter for the kitchen sink (our natural water is terrible---I recently realized that it was destroying my fine fragile hair, making it even drier and more prone to breakage & shedding.)

3) Mild vinegar rinse after shampooing, to help gradually remove the built-up mineral deposits on my hair & scalp.

**Steps 2 and 3 are really helping. I already see a difference in my hair's health. It's softer with less breaking/shedding.**

4) Co wash 1x per week in between shampoos.

5) Deep condition & apply leave-in conditioners each time I shampoo or co wash.

6) Pre poo overnight with coconut oil or Ojon Damage Reverse.

7) Satin pillowcases and seamless combs to minimize breakage.

8) Flat iron only occasionally, on lowest setting (140 degrees farenheit). I use for smoothing and sealing only; not for straightening.

9) Oil my ends every night and bun.

10) Hair vitamins that include Biotin and MSM, and plenty of water.

Main Products: Alterna, Aveda, Phyto, Ojon, Organic Virgin Coconut Oil

Last edited:

Whit

I took my weave out and I am posting progress pics in all of my subscribed threads. I think I may be full(ish) bra strap at this point. On the left side of each photo: weave take down, wash, condition, flat iron on April 29th. On the right side of each photo- weave takedown, wash, condition, flatiron, and trim on July 7th.

image-3787379788.jpg

image-2733537516.jpg

I will be right back in a sew in on July 11th :) According to my nifty hair shirt, I'm on track for waist length at some point in 2015!!! Wooohoooo!!!!

JJamiah

Hello Ladies,

I am still chugging along. I am thinking about getting braids, or maybe getting the same hair style i have been rocking. No matter which one, I am ready to put this hair up at the end of the month. My hair definitely needed TLC. Due to the medication seems like my hair isn't surviving much. I feel my hair is thinning badly :( some of the medication is for my Thyroids, and the other is for my heart sucks..

krissyhair

Hi ladies. Sorry I haven't been more active in this thread. Here is my mid-summer update in case anyone cares to read.

I have upped my growth by reducing manipulation on wash day, relying on my fingers as my main detangling tool, cowashing frequently, and wearing my bun for the summer bun challenge.