Vinegar! (and olive oil?)

envybeauty

Ok so I wanna know if I have to use an EXACT product to get the same results.

Do I have to use Apple Cider vinegar (ACV) or can I use plain ole white vinegar for rinses?

Do I have to use Extra Virgin Olive Oil or can I use "Olive oil" or "Extra Light Olive Oil"? I ask this only because at the supermarkets sometimes the non-EVOO olive oils are cheaper.

Also, I am a huge fan of vinegar! I used it after my relaxer this week and I was shocked at how smooth it made my hair feel. I used it to help with neutralizing so I mixed it with shampoo and to help rinse out the relaxer out of my hair. That's what my dominincan salon does (only they don't tell the customers) so I figured I would do it at home.

I was wondering why my hair strands felt sooooooooo smooth. Then, I jumped on here, read a thread and it was over. I had my answer. Love LHCF!!

Blackberry7 said:
I agree with....

PrincessAvaya's recommends some good shampoos and conditioners here:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=90692&highlight=matting

Note she recommends neutralizing and moisturizing shampoos. These are acidic shampoos. If you have your own mild shampoo of choice you might want to dilute it and add a dash of apple cider vinegar to it. Reason: Acid smooths the hair shaft so this would control matting. If you're using an alkaline shampoo that is raising the follicles on the hair shaft and promoting matting.

Last edited:

Blackberry7

nvybeauty said:
Ok so I wanna know if I have to use an EXACT product to get the same results.

Do I have to use Apple Cider vinegar (ACV) or can I use plain ole white vinegar for rinses?

Yes. ACV is better but either works.

Do I have to use Extra Virgin Olive Oil or can I use "Olive oil" or "Extra Light Olive Oil"? I ask this only because at the supermarkets sometimes the non-EVOO olive oils are cheaper.

Yes. You won't get the full benefits of the pure extra-virgin OO but you can use it. Extra Light is mixed with another vegetable oil (maybe soy?). BTW EVOO isn't that hard to find - I think you can get it at Walmart and one bottle should last a long time. The same for ACV - get it at Walmart - its cheap.

Also, I am a huge fan of vinegar! I used it after my relaxer this week and I was shocked at how smooth it made my hair feel. I used it to help with neutralizing so I mixed it with shampoo and to help rinse out the relaxer out of my hair. That's what my dominincan salon does (only they don't tell the customers) so I figured I would do it at home.

I was wondering why my hair strands felt sooooooooo smooth. Then, I jumped on here, read a thread and it was over. I had my answer. Love LHCF!!

Relaxers are alkaline so a vinegar rinse (acid) is a good way to go to make sure that you've neutralized the process. Acid smooths the hair cuticle so that's why your hair feels smooth.

envybeauty

^^ Thanks for posting. I was scared of using regular vinegar but then once I made the leap and did it, I was so impressed.

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
mermaid

Off the subject those babies are so adorable!!!!!!! Now back to yawl vinegar conversation

Nonie

I don't think white vinegar will harm your hair, but it's usually recommended for blonde hair, with ACV being recommended for dark hair. Not sure the reason for that, but it's what I've read and so I only use ACV coz I'm not going blonde anytime soon.

mermaid

blackmaven said:
mermaid

Off the subject those babies are so adorable!!!!!!! Now back to yawl vinegar conversation
Thanks! I think so too!:grin:
Check out Emily eying my mom's plate, lol!!

Lil' scavanger, lol!!

mermaid

nvybeauty said:
Thanks!.............
No prob!
I don't remember who posted that link originally, but it was in reference to the shampoo bars and then someon ELSE posted it a few weeks back. I just keep it bookmarked because I like the vinegar recipes.