Vatika Coconut Oil

queendiva79

My Vatika cocnut oil does not smell good and i absolutely hate the smell! Do any of you ladies mix the oil with any other oils to control the smell? It kinda smells like bacon or something so i do not use it but i would like to use it if i could change the smell! any suggestions ladies?

Nita81

Mine smells like soap. Not strong at all.....I don't mind the smell. Maybe you can use peppermint oil

scorpian

The one that I had also smelled like bacon.When I read the advice from the ladies on this site about reading expiration dates I realized that mine was very old.Maybe you should check the date on the bottle to see if it has expired. I didn't even realize that it was supposed to smell ok until I read the old posts.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
Vatika smells like lemons to me at first. Then I get a weird scent afterwards that takes some getting used to. It doesn't smell bacony to me. It's more of an herbal scent that's a little funky, and then it wears off hours later. I just started using it every other night or so for about two weeks.

MzOptimistic

OMG, I love this oil and the smell does not bother me at all. I really love the Alma Oil and ppl say it smells bad but I likey:p

SohoHair

I like the way my Vatika oil smells, it smells like coconut, lemon and spices, and the spicey lemony smell tends to fade after a few hours. Perhaps you should check to see if yours is old...:perplexed

Cichelle

I've never known the Vatika Coconut Oil to smell bad. It smells a bit lemony and maybe even coconut "shampooish". I know people complain about the smell of the amla oil, though. Anyway, maybe you got a bad bottle? I don't know.

I currently get my coconut oil from the health food store, right next to the other oils.

Prosperity711

I noticed that some of the Indian stores keep their products for a long time, always look at the expiration date even with the henna I saw several expired ones, I think the older it gets the smell will change.

UmSumayyah

The thing about indian hair products is, they are NOT labeled with the expiration date, but with the date the product was made. So you add 2 years to the date on the bottle to see when it expires.

navsegda

tsmith said:
OMG, I love this oil and the smell does not bother me at all. I really love the Alma Oil and ppl say it smells bad but I likey:p

I love the way the Amla Lite smells, but how does the regular Amla oil smell?

Radianthealth

navsegda said:
I love the way the Amla Lite smells, but how does the regular Amla oil smell?
Alma Oil has a lite sewagey smell mixed with some type of fragrance. It is bad but not that bad.

I LOVE the way my vatika oil smells. I love love love vatika oil:D

I henna conditioned last night and I put some vatika oil in this morning, my hair feels so healthy:D :D :D

scorpian

trimbride said:
Alma Oil has a lite sewagey smell mixed with some type of fragrance. It is bad but not that bad.

I LOVE the way my vatika oil smells. I love love love vatika oil:D

I henna conditioned last night and I put some vatika oil in this morning, my hair feels so healthy:D :D :D

Where are y'all getting the good smelling vatika from because all of the indian grocers that I have gone to in my area have the one that smells like bacon grease and the expiration dates have 03 stamped on them I would love to order a pleasant smelling vatika because the ingredients are soo good

ak46

janeemat said:
I have Spectrum coconut oil. The smell is so good it makes me want to eat it.

I have the spectrum oil too....and I have eaten it :lol: , well I've tasted. I've always wanted to try the vatika oil though. I see it every time I go to the Indian store but then I think about all the products I already have and I just leave it.

navsegda

scorpian said:
Where are y'all getting the good smelling vatika from because all of the indian grocers that I have gone to in my area have the one that smells like bacon grease and the expiration dates have 03 stamped on them I would love to order a pleasant smelling vatika because the ingredients are soo good
I bought mine from eastwestbazaar.com:

http://www.eastwestbazaar.com/product_info.php?products_id=857

Mine doesn't smell like bacon grease; it smells like Indian spices (kinda like curry) with a hint of lemon. I don't like the smell, but I learned to tolerate it because the benefits of the oil are good. I like things that are more sweet-smelling. The Amla Lite oil smells absolutely wonderful and my strands always feel firmer after using it.

scorpian

navsegda said:
I bought mine from eastwestbazaar.com:

http://www.eastwestbazaar.com/product_info.php?products_id=857

Mine doesn't smell like bacon grease; it smells like Indian spices (kinda like curry) with a hint of lemon. I don't like the smell, but I learned to tolerate it because the benefits of the oil are good. I like things that are more sweet-smelling. The Amla Lite oil smells absolutely wonderful and my strands always feel firmer after using it.

thanks..I ordered 3 bottles of the amla lite from eastwestbazaar and the shipping was fast so I will order the vatika oil from them

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
victorious said:
Vatika smells like lemons to me at first. Then I get a weird scent afterwards that takes some getting used to. It doesn't smell bacony to me. It's more of an herbal scent that's a little funky, and then it wears off hours later. I just started using it every other night or so for about two weeks.

mine has a lemon smell too but i havent used it yet does the smell change once it is in your hair???

imstush

I have the Vatika oil, and it smells like coconut. I love the smell, smells good enough that it almost makes me want to taste it.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
msportugal said:
mine has a lemon smell too but i havent used it yet does the smell change once it is in your hair???

Yep, it smells great when I sniff it from the bottle.

But that lemon scent wears off as soon as it's in my hair, and that other funny scent emerges and stays for hours. I like the lemon scent, but not the other one that follows. It's not a strong, overpowering scent. I'm just a little sensitive to it. I prefer to put it on at night so the funny scent can disappear by morning.

Navsegda is right. It smells like a bunch of Indian spices in the grocery store. I'm slowly getting used to it. I like the scent of the amla lite oil too.

Last edited:

steffiejoe

Can someone tell me what color their Vatika coconut oil is? Mine is a light greenish color. Is it suppose to be this color?

sweetlaughter

i buy evco (typ organic if that even means anything) b/c i can cook with it too. o and it has a long shelf life.

MissMusic

Can someone tell me what color their Vatika coconut oil is? Mine is a light greenish color. Is it suppose to be this color?

Mine is white when solid and the color of vegetable oils when liquified. The bottle is blue and green. Sure you didn't get the Vatika enriched Olive Oil?