Vaseline on newgrowth - wash or relax?

sereia

Hi ladies,
I wanted to relax today so my sister based my scalp with vaseline. Unfortunately it got on some parts of my newgrowth. :wallbash: I am afraid that those parts will be underprocessed. On the other hand I have prep´ed my hair with Porosity Control and silk protein and straightened it with heat... I am not fond of going through this process again. What would you do? :nervous::help:
Thanks!

janaq2003

Wow! That vaseline will def cause your ng to be underprocessed. Wait a week, clarify and light protein/moisturize condish. Protecive style. Get some Affirm scalp protector( not the exact name but made by them) to prep your scalp.HTH

LaidBak

Did it only get on the NG very near to the scalp? I mean, less than 1/4 inch? If so I wouldn't worry about it. But then again, I'm no expert. Are you trying to get bone straight?
I'd never heard of straightening the hair with heat prior to relaxing. How much NG do you have to have for that to be necessary?

ETA: Can you just have her go in and wipe off the excess with a tissue?

Last edited:

soulie

I definitely would not want to straighten my hair before relaxing; I want the contrast between my NG and previously relaxed hair to be as great as possible so I don't overlap.

sereia

Thank you for the quick responses!
I have 3 inches of NG. Unfortunately the vaseline covers almost half of it :perplexed:
I straighten my hair to make parting easier and to distinguish better btwn. NG and relaxed hair. My hair is mostly texlaxed/underprocessed so if I just airdry it then it´s hard to see the difference. After some days the NG usually reverts. I may have to wash again :ohwell: