VASELINE FOR SEALING VS NATURAL OILS FOR SEALING

dlove

PLEASE DO NOT STONE ME! I just had an epiphany and need some support from the LHCF sisters figuring this one out. If we use natural oils like castor, avacado, morroccan, grape seed, coconut, etc for sealing- sometimes twice a day-what is the problem with using products that contain mineral oil or petroleum to seal?
I have been reading a lot of blogs and watching a few youtube videos that support the use of vaseline for twistouts and sealing. I ve seen where it gives great definition. I know most have a weekly washing or at least cowashing regiman so what are the damages? long term results?

Ive been a LHCF followers since 2007 and have learned that vaseline is a no no because it deters moisture from hair , but if you mist and seal everyday anyway, what is the problem? Grease and water baby, Grease and water is the mantrum I hear on youtube. Guide me in the right direction.

Last edited:
I do not have a problem with with it as long as you do not use it on your scalp.

The only bad thing I notice about using vaseline for sealing is after a few days my hair looks greasy, heavy, and has more lint. However I have fine and thin hair so I normally have problems with heavy products including shea butter.

I have been wondering about this recently too.

I think most of us grew up using vaseline & grease the wrong way- as a moisturizer instead of a sealant. I know I would rub it through my DDs' dry hair everyday just to style :ohwell: and wondered why their hair was perpetually dry :nono:

I washed my DD's hair yesterday, applied Aphogee leave-in, then sealed with Nature's Blessing "grease". Her hair was butter soft this morning :yep:

I say- do what works for your hair.

Last edited:
I think most of us grew up using vaseline & grease the wrong way- as a moisturizer instead of a sealant.

^^^^This :yep: when you properly moisturize your hair, I think "grease" makes a great sealant. There are times when natural oils and butters just aren't cutting it, I need to seal with some grease :yep:

Hey do what works for you.

I had to stop sealing with oils because they did not work. I now on ocassion use Hollyowood beauty castor oil with mink oil (it has mineral oil down the line) and it works much better.

I tried vaseline and it made my hair hard and I tried it more than once. I really wanted to like it because its very cheap.

I just cant use any product with mineral oil or vaseline high up on the list because it makes my hair hard.

One of my best friends and her sister (both waist length, natural, 3B) always use Vaseline on their hair. At first I thought it was odd until I saw it popping up on youtube and lhcf.

I think the problem is when ppl use it on their scalp. Natural oils like Jojoba replicate our natural oils secreted from our sebaceous glands. Vaseline doesn't

I have been wondering about this recently too.

I think most of us grew up using vaseline & grease the wrong way- as a moisturizer instead of a sealant. I know I would rub it through my DDs' dry hair everyday just to style :ohwell: and wondered why their hair was perpetually dry :nono:

I washed my DD's hair yesterday, applied Aphogee leave-in, then sealed with Nature's Blessing "grease". Her hair was butter soft this morning :yep:

I say- do what works for your hair.

I totally agree with the bolded red!! I believe this is where is the problem lies.

I will keep you all updated from this weeks progress. I will probably mist with my usual water and peppermint oil mix and seal with an oil the rest of the week. The one thing that tripped me out about this is that sparklingflame used vaseline to seal in moisture for twistouts and I thought about doing this because of her. Went to search exactly how she did it and learned she did a big chop AFTER I used vaseline to seal in the moisture. :blush: ....The twistout came out fine today.

I'm a 99% of the time wet bunner. My experience with Vaseline, using it to seal the drenched hair tucked in the bun, was that the tucked-in hair dried not just hard but crispy. I left that alone after 4 days and won't revisit.

I used to so it...sometimes I use vaseline under gels (after moisturizing) for wash n goes...it elongates and gives me super soft hair!!

Last summer I used it to seal,I got the idea from Chicoro....

There is a long thread on here about it

I don't see anything wrong with it. I wash my hair every day & apply Vaseline while it's still wet. It dries feeling very soft. Nothing else was working to keep my hair from feeling hard and dry after washing, and it only takes a little bit. A big tub lasts a long time. I use the scented kind. Over the weekend, I did a quick twist-out with Vaseline, and it came out soft & shiny.

I'm a 99% of the time wet bunner. My experience with Vaseline, using it to seal the drenched hair tucked in the bun, was that the tucked-in hair dried not just hard but crispy. I left that alone after 4 days and won't revisit.

Sealing with vaseline/ petroleum jelly and mineral oil type greases always left my hair crispy too. It also seemed to attract dirt and lint.

I now seal with castor oil because it is so heavy and it leaves my hair soft.

My sister, though, still seals her dghtr's natural hair with Blue Magic grease and her hair is thriving.

Different strokes for different folks!

I used to so it...sometimes I use vaseline under gels (after moisturizing) for wash n goes...it elongates and gives me super soft hair!!

Last summer I used it to seal,I got the idea from Chicoro....

There is a long thread on here about it

Me too @ the bolded.

PLEASE DO NOT STONE ME! I just had an epiphany and need some support from the LHCF sisters figuring this one out. If we use natural oils like castor, avacado, morroccan, grape seed, coconut, etc for sealing- sometimes twice a day-what is the problem with using products that contain mineral oil or petroleum to seal?
I have been reading a lot of blogs and watching a few youtube videos that support the use of vaseline for twistouts and sealing. I ve seen where it gives great definition. I know most have a weekly washing or at least cowashing regiman so what are the damages? long term results?

Ive been a LHCF followers since 2007 and have learned that vaseline is a no no because it deters moisture from hair , but if you mist and seal everyday anyway, what is the problem? Grease and water baby, Grease and water is the mantrum I hear on youtube. Guide me in the right direction.

Mineral oil is not cement and deter doesn't really mean it's an impenetrable barrier. My thinking about petroleum jelly is to understand that back in the early to mid 20th century people didn't have access to the variety of oils we have today so they made do with what they could get easily for cheap which was mineral oil and jelly - and for many it worked just fine. Today I have easy access to veggie oils and they're affordable so I don't need the mineral oil and jelly. I like the texture and feel of different veggie oils and I enjoy working with essential oils so it's a preference. OTOH if you prefer mineral oil/jelly and you're getting good results then no problem. As with anything else you have to apply it with an easy hand, wash your hair regularly and make sure your strands and your scalp get clean each time - those are the only things to keep in mind.

I personally would choose Vaseline as sealant if I didn't use a serum. I just don't use it because I love love love having bare hair. But every once in a while I will use S Curl on the ends of my twists...and I once used S Curl on the length of my twists and then Vaseline on the ends. I had to wear my hair up because I can't stand to feel hair products on my body. It is why I love S Curl when wearing my hair out coz shrinkage keeps it away from me. When it twists, they hang so eeewww!

I first learned about sealing from Wanakee and her Constant Care for Ends product does look like Vaseline. So when I first read about Vaseline sealing, it didn't surprise me at all.

Why I say I'd choose Vaseline over oils is because to me a "SEAL" has to make it hard for moisture to escape. So I think serum or Vaseline. Otherwise, I have no problem with mineral oil at all. Vaseline is my favorite hand moisturizer.

Back