VANILLA EXTRACT?!?!?!????

rririla

So, I was making small talk with a gorgeous haired Dominican lady, and she happened to comment on my bushy curly hair, saying that it was nice , but that I should put ''VANILLA EXTRACT'' in it, ( yes, the one used to flavor cakes and cookies)....But she said it HAS to be the CLEAR one!!!!....Have any of you ladies heard of this method before?....supposedly it keeps the curl pattern and its ''better'' than gel, because it has no alcohol. I have never seen the 'CLEAR' vanilla extract, but I know that the brown one has a ton of alcohol in it....which would be very drying IMO....So I went online and they do make an alcohol ''free'' version of the extract, which may work better, not to mention, I LOVE THE SMELL OF VANILLA!!!!...:lick: But I really just wanted to know if anyone has used this method for keeping their curls in check....and if so did it dry ur hair out?

Her hair incidentally was the longest most gorgeous head of hair I have seen in person!!!!!

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I use pure vanilla extract in my shealoe and shea butter mixes. :yep:

I did not know that it it helps with defining curl pattern. I pour some into my mixes just to mask the cooking oil smell of my shealoe and the rank smell of shea butter.

rririla

Yeah....I have heard of doing that.....but she basically said to pour it into my hands and scrunch as u would with gel, or mousse....I want to try it but I think I'm scared of drying my hair out...

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
What is clear vanilla extract?

Most manufactured foods can be modified to produce any number of desired attributes, and artificial vanilla extract is no exception. In this case it has been made clear, by combining propylene glycol or glycerin with artificial vanillin. According to Nielsen-Massey Vanillas, Inc. (which is in the business of promoting and selling real vanilla), "Artificial vanillin simulates one flavor component out of over 250 different flavor components found in natural vanilla. It is a byproduct of the wood industry or is produced from petro-chemicals."
May as well scrunch with curl activator, then.

Esthi777

Darn, I was just at the grocery store picking up avocados and EVOO! I'm going to have to try this because the crown of my head needs some serious definition. Thanks for the post!

foxee

Pure or artificial vanilla extract? Pure vanilla is pretty expensive so this would be a pricey everyday styling product. It's more cost effective to use an alcohol free gel.

Tiye

Pure or artificial vanilla extract? Pure vanilla is pretty expensive so this would be a pricey everyday styling product. It's more cost effective to use an alcohol free gel.

I use vanilla bean in some of my skin care stuff but it can be for hair too. Whole vanilla beans are pricey but you only need one and it will go long, long way (i.e. infuse it in some oil or butter and you may have it for months or even all year). I never saw clear vanilla extract and didn't know it was good for curls but it does have humectant properties so she is prolly speaking the truth.

foxee

I use vanilla bean in some of my skin care stuff but it can be for hair too. Whole vanilla beans are pricey but you only need one and it will go long, long way (i.e. infuse it in some oil or butter and you may have it for months or even all year). I never saw clear vanilla extract and didn't know it was good for curls but it does have humectant properties so she is prolly speaking the truth.

I need to go back and edit my post, but what I meant to say is pure vanilla EXTRACT is expensive. It's usually a few dollars for a couple of ounces. That wouldn't last very long.

I'm not trying to dispute the effectiveness of vanilla extract since I have never used it in anything other than baked goods.

Last edited:

rririla

Thank you ladies so much for all the input, and Nymphe u really put it in perspective.....so off to the grocery store I go.....:driver:...for coconut oil instead....lol

Last edited: