Using the entire Affirm relaxing system?

UmSumayyah

Okay after re-examining my hair I've decided Motions Oil Regular does not work for me. /images/graemlins/frown.gif (i'll be offering it at the product exchange board for those who use it).
I want to use Affirm but my question is, is it necessary to use the whole line for the relaxing process? I plan to buy the relaxer in regular, the neutralizing shampoo, and the positive link conditioner.
Has anyone also used the Gentle Assurance Senstive Scalp protector and the Protecto? Do you recommend them? The Protecto is supposed to be applied to the entire hairshaft prior to relaxing. (including the new growth). I want to protect the old hair from the relaxer so I'd planned to use cholesterol like I did today. How can something that allows the relaxer to penetrate and straighten the new growth protect the previously relaxed hair?
What is in the Sensitive scalp protector anyway? anything special? I bought a pre-creme from the sally's that is just mineral oil, petrolatum, and menthol. It seemed to work fine today as I had no burning. I don't want to get something new if it isn't anything different from what I already have.
All experiences appreciated, thanks.
http://www.avlon.com/science/affirm.html

azul11

the scalp protector from affirm is has some of the same ingredients as the one you mentioned. i too want to use affirm because of my experience with motions oil but i dont want to have to buy the whole system because after all the money i spend on the system i might as well save my money and do it myself.i dont at the moment know of a place that uses affirm i am hoping to find one. God bless you all.

Kitkat

I bought the Affirm relaxer system - normalizing (neutralizing) shampoo, relaxer, 5-in-1 recontructor and the positive link conditioner. I used the Protecto only because a sample came with the 4 lb tub of relaxer creme. Did it do a good job? I think so. Can you achieve the same effect by using other products to protect the previously relaxed hair? I think so. Conditioner has been recommended to put on the hair to prevent overlapping, and I used to use my old hair cremes that contain petroleum that I don't use on my hair anymore.

As far as conditioners go, I would strongly recommend that you buy the 5-in-1 reconstructor. It gives fantastic slip, it works really well after the relaxer when the cuticles are open, and you can use it effectively after regular shampooing. I thought that the positive link conditioner was a moisturizing conditioner, but I'm not certain now since some of the ingredients sound like they're on the protein side. In retrospect, I would have simply bought the 5-in-1 and called it a day instead of the positive link. I hope this helps!

UmSumayyah

I was thinking of getting the positive link because it says it is for medium or coarse hair, and the 5-in-1 says it is for fine or damaged hair. Both are listed for use post-relaxer and pre-shampoo. I have pretty much decided against the scalp protector. I'm just really curious how the protecto stuff is supposed to let the chemical straighten the new growth and protect the prh at the same time. /images/graemlins/confused.gif Oh well.

UmSumayyah

come on girlies! As many of you as I KNOW use Affirm out there, I expect some answers! /images/graemlins/poke.gif help me out? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif