Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No, but it would be wise

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eritreladiee

I'm just wondering if/how many people are using heat protectant while underneath the sun. I usually don't use heat protectant when flat ironing my hair, but I spend ALOTTA time in the sun-- like summer hasn't fully started and I'm already officially dark-skinned :grin:.

Anyway, what do y'all think-- would it be wise to make the investment? yea or nay?

LadyRaider

I have heard that you need something with an spf more than something for direct heat like you use while flat ironing.

yasluvsme

I hear the best method is to wear a hat while you're out in the sun, that should be enough. I think that any product that you would put on your hair will wash out especially if you go swimming. In which case you'd be wasting money.

miss_cheveious

Joico K-pak have sun therapy products, such as a hair milk and leave in. You can also get it in travel packs. Keraste also has a sun protectant range.

LittleLuxe

I also agree about using a product with SPF as opposed to a heat protectant, in my opinion heat protectants are only effective when used in corrolation with direct heat - something that sunlight isn't. What you are really trying to protect yourself from isn't the damage of the heat of the sun, something you likely may or may not even notice in your hair, but the damage from the sun's radiation.

The individual who suggested the hat also provided you with a great option as the best way to block the sun's rays is the block the direct contact. Just the way you are advised to wear clothing that blocks the sun and SPF, you would also be advised to wear a hat and a hair product with SPF.

A simple google search should easily help you find some product options.

atlien11

I agree with the SPF protection. Heat protectant will not block UV Rays. Aveda has a great one :yep:

A lightweight, water-resistant UV defense mist that forms an invisible screen to help protect hair from sun exposure for up to 16 hours, to minimize color fadage, damage and dryness.
- part of a three-part defense and recovery system
- UVA/UVB filters derived from wintergreen and cinnamon bark oils help protect hair from sun damage
- anti-oxidizing blend of green tea extract, certified organic sunflower seed oil and vitamin E helps protect against free radicals