Using conditioner as a daily moisturizer?

tiffanyoneal

Today I had the urge to try a little bit of my ORS replenishing conditioner on one of my strands and sealed it with coconut oil. Later on when I untwisted it, it was soft and feeling very moisturized. Does anybody use conditioner as a daily moisturizer? I am not saying take a whole palm full of conditioner and do it but just a little.Do you think it can be beneficial?

Bun Mistress

I use cone free conditioner every night when re-twisting my hair, I seal the ends with shea butter and take it down with JBCO. I have conditioned hair that has completely stopped breaking.

AllieCat0817

Aussie Moist conditioner is awesome for this. I have some in my hair 24-7. Gave away my Paul Mitchell The Conditioner leave in because of Aussie Moist. It is an awesome cowasher/moisturizer/styler.

EVERY other conditioner I have tried to do this with left my hair hard and dull looking/feeling after drying, including Herbal Essences Hello Hydration AND Lustrasilk Cholesterol Shea Plus Mango. I love those for rinsing out though... just can't leave in as a moisturizer/styler.

msa

Most conditioners have the same exact ingredients as moisturizers/leave-ins. I've used Oyin Honey Hemp, the Whole Foods brand conditioner, and many others as a moisturizer and still do.

Just pay attention to your hair and make sure it's not getting build-up or anything like that.

Lucky's Mom

Yep - I would agree about buildup. I used Trader Joe's nourish spa along with coconut oil and untwisted the next day - Fabulous! However - I could not do this two or three days in a row....

MummysGirl

I use Lustrasilk shea butter cholestrol when putting in my twists/braid for twist/braidouts (see siggy) and the next day, my hair is soft and bouncy BUT I only use it on the day I initially braid/twist hair.

Next night, I only use my usual moisturisers before rebraiding/retwisting.

I won't use it everyday though...

tiffanyoneal

Yep - I would agree about buildup. I used Trader Joe's nourish spa along with coconut oil and untwisted the next day - Fabulous! However - I could not do this two or three days in a row....

Now this is true and something I thought about. I figured I would use it when I know I am getting ready to wash or cowash in the next 2-3 days.

*closer*2*my*dreams*

I use Redken Butter Treat as a moisturizer, but only after I co-wash or do anything that leaves my hair wet; i never use it on dry hair.

Neith

A leave in conditioner is basically a light conditioner.

I have used regular conditioner as leave in for quite a while.

Just make sure it's not too heavy or too light. You don't want to have greasy, weighed down hair, but you want something that does help keep your hair moist.

I use natures gate conditioners.

We have all this product/ingredient knowledge! We know the real deal... we don't have to use every single thing the way the companies want us to use it :)

Pamsc

This has been the only method that keeps my hair moisturized! I use any Suave conditioner as a daily moisturizer and seal with olive oil. I do daily rinses or con washes at night and moisturize 1x day in the mornings. So far so good.:grin:

kjeneen

AWESOME thread! I've been using my ole watered-down 14n1, but just purchasing some Suave condish is cheaper. Only problem is, my hair is fickle when it comes to too must moisture (which is why I've watered down my 14n1) so I hope the condish is not too heavy to appy everyday! Thanks for the tip.

tiffanyoneal

AWESOME thread! I've been using my ole watered-down 14n1, but just purchasing some Suave condish is cheaper. Only problem is, my hair is fickle when it comes to too must moisture (which is why I've watered down my 14n1) so I hope the condish is not too heavy to appy everyday! Thanks for the tip.

Thanks be careful of buildup though.

Last edited:

donewit-it

Does anybody think that using conditioner as a daily moisturizer and leaving it in, is equivalent to deep conditioners on a weekly basis.

I've falling off my deep conditioning kick; but hope I'm still okay with using conditioner everyday.

Just lazy I am!

*closer*2*my*dreams*

my redken has cones (which i think my hair likes anyway) but since i co-wash almost daily, shampoo weekly, clarify monthly, i don't have any issues with product buildup.

Ramya

I've tried it several times and it just didn't work for me. It acts kind of like a gel in my hair and makes my scalp itch. I've tried a few brands all with the same results, even my beloved Aussie Moist. :(

tiffanyoneal

I've tried it several times and it just didn't work for me. It acts kind of like a gel in my hair and makes my scalp itch. I've tried a few brands all with the same results, even my beloved Aussie Moist. :(

Ohh I wouldnt put it on my scalp especially with these braids. But I am sorry it didnt work for you. Were you using alot or just a little?

onelove08

I do! I twist my hair after I henna and use HSR with coconut butter mixture. I make sure that my hair is slighly damp before twisting. I am too lazy to use a deep conditioner the regular way. I figured this would work. I have only been doing this for about 1 month. I have yet to see build up. I do clarify weekly before my henna treatments. I wear my hair in twists for 2-3 days and then rinse while I am in the shower and then, seal my twistout with castor oil. It works for me. I have gotten a few of compliments about my hair doing my latest conditioning methods. 1-2 times per week I also cowash my hair and then follow my directions for after henna conditioning. HTH!

Last edited:

clarity2008

I do this occasionally with Aussie Moist but my hair is pretty fine so I try not to do it often as it weighs my hair down.

OT: NEITH! Where have you been girl?! Haven't seen you around these parts in a while. You're natchal now?! CONGRATS! Hope all is well with you.

Ramya

Ohh I wouldnt put it on my scalp especially with these braids. But I am sorry it didnt work for you. Were you using alot or just a little?

Only a little. I have fine hair so anything that I put on my hair will end up on my scalp at some point. :ohwell:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
No, I've never tried Conditioner for my Leave-In. I always use a product that has been designed as a Leave-In.:nono:

Although I am absolutely quite sure there is nothing wrong with it, I personally have never tried it.:perplexed

Perhaps, when I feel a little more confident in my Hair Journey and the overall health of my hair, I may venture out and try it. But for right now, I am using the leave-ins as leave-ins and the conditioners as conditioners.:ohwell:

I do plan to try HSR and WC at some point as a Leave-In. I just haven't tried it yet.:grin:

Neith

I do this occasionally with Aussie Moist but my hair is pretty fine so I try not to do it often as it weighs my hair down.

OT: NEITH! Where have you been girl?! Haven't seen you around these parts in a while. You're natchal now?! CONGRATS! Hope all is well with you.

Hi there. Just took a break!

Yep, I'm fine :)

Rei

I do this all the time, I use AO HSR as a moisturizer on my ends, and they come out soft (well as soft as they get, they never get THAT soft. :/ i'm working on it)