Update! Another natural to relaxed head, advice please :)

Miadoll

Hello, I’m clearly a newbie. It I found this forum and well- I’m so thankful!

Hair stats:
Density: high
Texture: fine
Curl type: 4AB/ 3C
Porosity: low

I’ve been natural since my bc in 2012 and for the first 5 years I loved it! The last 5 years however have been a struggle, between depression and life changes I really neglected my hair going from bra strap length to shoulder length due to cuts from split ends.

this past September I decided that I just needed to cut down on the time it requires for me to do my hair, and get my ish together. I got a Brazilian blowout and decided to become a straight hair natural. Every 12 weeks I went into the salon for a trim and silk press and at home once a week I would use olaplex, wash, dc, and then use the Revlon one step blow dryer to blow out my hair straight. In December I started to notice some heat damage, my kinky 4AB/3C hair is looking more 3C/4A and has a lot more silkyness to it, while my roots the curl is tighter and kinkier. I got braids, for a heat break in December which I had for 6 weeks, and started thinking seriously about getting a relaxer in January.

I feel as though with the amount of heat I’m using it would be healthier to get a relaxer every 12 weeks and airdry, than use heat every week and get a BKT every 4 months or so.

I’ve been doing a ton a research but still have a few questions:

- my hair is generally still healthy but as mentioned does have some heat damage I decided to use the mild lye Mizani butter blends relaxer system- do you guys think this will be okay? I’m hoping to relax to 85% straight, a slight wave would be perfect, not hoping for curls

- my relaxer, with my friend who is a licensed cosmetologist, is scheduled for Sunday, at my house cause I want to neutralize for 20 minutes etc and can’t really do that at the salon. tomorrow is my wash day and I planned on doing the following:
* clarify with ors creamy aloe
* hydrating poo with Keracare moisturizing detangling poo
* apogee two step protein treatment
* deep condish under hooded dryer for 1 hour with olplex 8, keracare humetco,avocado, coconut and olive oils
* kinky curly knot today as a leave in+ argan oil
* flexi rod set and dry under the hooded dryer

I’ll probably moisturize with As I Am so much moisture 1-2x this week ahead of Sunday and baggy.

Is there anything else I should do outside of basing my scalp on Saturday night and Sunday AM?

- I just bought the whole relaxer system off Walmart.com- was that smart? My friend just told me she could stop by the saloncare place this week if needed. I just read a thread on fakes and got nervous

- any tips you might have! My hair was a mess when I was relaxed previously, I could never get past apl and it was dry as heck cause I had no clue what I was doing. I’m trying to go into this journey in a healthy knowledgeable way so any tips, constructive criticism etc would be helpful.

- since I’ve used heat and had a BKT in the past we will be doing a strand test

Thanks SO much

pics of my current hair attached for reference

The one in the orange sweater is what my weekly at home blowouts look like- you can tell the roots are kinkier.
The one in the bathroom is my current curl pattern that is slightly loosened ( wet)
The one with the darker background is my wash and go before I was a straight hair natural and before BKT so my 100% natural curl pattern air dried with gel ( also when my hair was on the struggle bus due to neglect :/)

Attachments

• 7047DCC4-050D-4AE5-8ECD-9BF2BE3C4F5F.jpeg
    7047DCC4-050D-4AE5-8ECD-9BF2BE3C4F5F.jpeg
    455.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 488B58E0-F114-46C2-8569-C2021358F179.jpeg
    488B58E0-F114-46C2-8569-C2021358F179.jpeg
    688.9 KB · Views: 54
  • BC93B392-1071-48F5-B690-2C49B7F08349.jpeg
    BC93B392-1071-48F5-B690-2C49B7F08349.jpeg
    695.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Royalq

I was natural from 2011-2017. I use mizani butter blends fine strength. I also use their base and the one for covering previously relaxed hair along with their neutralizing shampoo. I use aphogee 2 step And a good deep conditioning, of course minimizing scratching. The day of, after washing out the relaxer, i neutralize 3 times, do an olaplex treatment, aphogee 2 step if i feel up to it, and a deep conditioner.
this relaxer doesnt make me bone straight so my hair has some texture to it. Work fast by pre sectioning your hair. Hairlicious on youtube has a good video on pre sectioning the hair, that cuts down time spend parting.
Rotate where you start you relaxer. If you relax in quadrants and plan to relax every 12 weeks, each time pick a different quadrant to start with.

relax the parting space between the quadrants, edges, and nape last. I used to notice breakage in the middle of my hair and I realized it came from everytime i relaxed my hair i would do the parting space down the middle after doing the back quadrants. Doing that everytime caused breakage.
Have a timer set up.

as far as your virgin relaxer pull the relaxer through the ends with a gloved hand, not with a comb or anything. Relax your roots last because the heat from your scalp with cause it to process faster. Keep a spray can of oil sheen handy just in case you start burning in an area that you scratched too much. I usually find zero scratching for at least 4 days pre-relaxer prevents burning.

Miadoll

I was natural from 2011-2017. I use mizani butter blends fine strength. I also use their base and the one for covering previously relaxed hair along with their neutralizing shampoo. I use aphogee 2 step And a good deep conditioning, of course minimizing scratching. The day of, after washing out the relaxer, i neutralize 3 times, do an olaplex treatment, aphogee 2 step if i feel up to it, and a deep conditioner.
this relaxer doesnt make me bone straight so my hair has some texture to it. Work fast by pre sectioning your hair. Hairlicious on youtube has a good video on pre sectioning the hair, that cuts down time spend parting.
Rotate where you start you relaxer. If you relax in quadrants and plan to relax every 12 weeks, each time pick a different quadrant to start with.

relax the parting space between the quadrants, edges, and nape last. I used to notice breakage in the middle of my hair and I realized it came from everytime i relaxed my hair i would do the parting space down the middle after doing the back quadrants. Doing that everytime caused breakage.
Have a timer set up.

as far as your virgin relaxer pull the relaxer through the ends with a gloved hand, not with a comb or anything. Relax your roots last because the heat from your scalp with cause it to process faster. Keep a spray can of oil sheen handy just in case you start burning in an area that you scratched too much. I usually find zero scratching for at least 4 days pre-relaxer prevents burning.
Thank you so much! I’m excited to use this relaxer and love to hear that you’ve had great results with it! I def want some texture for strength so that’s good to hear I’m not trying to be bone straight and lose my hair LOL.
Thanks for the tip about the comb I was wondering about that for a Virgin relaxer, will be smoothing with just gloved hands :)

secretdiamond

Great tips above!
I also think you have a good game plan as well.
I totally agree with a strand test, due to previous BKT. I never did it as a natural, but wonder about the 2 chemical deposits in the hair strands mixing.
Maybe someone who has done both can chime in.

Good luck on your new journey!

Miadoll

Great tips above!
I also think you have a good game plan as well.
I totally agree with a strand test, due to previous BKT. I never did it as a natural, but wonder about the 2 chemical deposits in the hair strands mixing.
Maybe someone who has done both can chime in.

Good luck on your new journey!
Thank you!! Yes that’s what I’m nervous about! I only had the one in September and they say it washes out over time but idk. I’ve only seen people get the relaxer first THEN the BKT never the reverse. My stylist says it’s fine but girl if my hair melts off I swear, lol.

Royalq

Thank you so much! I’m excited to use this relaxer and love to hear that you’ve had great results with it! I def want some texture for strength so that’s good to hear I’m not trying to be bone straight and lose my hair LOL.
Thanks for the tip about the comb I was wondering about that for a Virgin relaxer, will be smoothing with just gloved hands :)
Ive had good results. Just stick to that relaxer and dont bounce around. There was a point where i couldnt find it so i got Mizani Rhelaxer then switched to ORS olive oil box relaxer because i hated that i kept getting burned with the Mizani relaxers. What ended up happening is that my beautiful lush thick hair withered away messing around with other relaxers. now im trying to get back to where i was and i only use Mizani butter blends mixed with olaplex no. 1. My hair retains moisture well and doesnt break off unless im neglecting it

Miadoll

Ugh sorry to hear about the thinning! Our hair is such a science kit! You’ll get it back though. I got a 4 pound tub from Walmart online if that helps. Looks like they have 4 pound tubs and the 30 oz at overstock and paynesbeauty supply. I couldn’t find it at my local bss and there only one place in my city that sells it according the mizani website hence me looking online and just getting the 4 pounder cause I was scared of trying to find it later.

abioni

My only input is, I won't put products in my hair before relaxer. I wash my hair with a clarifying shampoo 3 or 4 days before relaxer to help the relaxer work better. I also do Aphogee 2-step a week before.

Miadoll

My only input is, I won't put products in my hair before relaxer. I wash my hair with a clarifying shampoo 3 or 4 days before relaxer to help the relaxer work better. I also do Aphogee 2-step a week before.
Ahh thank you! That makes sense less build up so it takes better? I just took my braids out from my wash day yesterday and plan on just letting it get crazy this week/ just do what it does, so as not to touch it before Sunday. Maybe I’ll just spritz the ends lightly if it starts to get dry instead if my fill on moisture and seal routine, great advice!

Miadoll

Ugh sorry to hear about the thinning! Our hair is such a science kit! You’ll get it back though. I got a 4 pound tub from Walmart online if that helps. Looks like they have 4 pound tubs and the 30 oz at overstock and paynesbeauty supply. I couldn’t find it at my local bss and there only one place in my city that sells it according the mizani website hence me looking online and just getting the 4 pounder cause I was scared of trying to find it later.
Ive had good results. Just stick to that relaxer and dont bounce around. There was a point where i couldnt find it so i got Mizani Rhelaxer then switched to ORS olive oil box relaxer because i hated that i kept getting burned with the Mizani relaxers. What ended up happening is that my beautiful lush thick hair withered away messing around with other relaxers. now im trying to get back to where i was and i only use Mizani butter blends mixed with olaplex no. 1. My hair retains moisture well and doesnt break off unless im neglecting it
Okay update, my friend and I opened the MBB that I got from Walmart and it smelled VERY strong it was kinda off putting. We decided to look up the ingredients on the mizani website to compare. The tub I bought was the old formula before they changed in in 2013 I think. Walmart is selling VERY old stock. I didn’t use it and decided to get the Silk elements shea butter in mild as it has really great ingredients and is readily available, so I don’t have to worry about not being able to get it in the future. For what it’s worth, it’s only one ingredient different than the new MBB formula, and the only change is the fatty alcohol used. Well except that the silk elements has tons more oils. I’ll be back next week to update but ignore what Insais about purchasing from Walmart!

naturalpride

Okay update, my friend and I opened the MBB that I got from Walmart and it smelled VERY strong it was kinda off putting. We decided to look up the ingredients on the mizani website to compare. The tub I bought was the old formula before they changed in in 2013 I think. Walmart is selling VERY old stock. I didn’t use it and decided to get the Silk elements shea butter in mild as it has really great ingredients and is readily available, so I don’t have to worry about not being able to get it in the future. For what it’s worth, it’s only one ingredient different than the new MBB formula, and the only change is the fatty alcohol used. Well except that the silk elements has tons more oils. I’ll be back next week to update but ignore what Insais about purchasing from Walmart!
Sounds like a plan. I love Silk Elements Mild too and have been using it for years no issues.

Miadoll

Sounds like a plan. I love Silk Elements Mild too and have been using it for years no issues.
Glad to hear this! I was a bit worried about the shedding ppl talked about. Hopefully by using a mild formula and keeping my moisture/ protein balance right this can be avoided. Did you experience any shedding?

Miadoll

I did it! I relaxed my virgin hair :bouncy:

I based with dax the night before, detangled and twisted my hair. Used silk elements lye in mild, and relaxed for 21 minutes total to include application and smoothing it through once. I loved the texture I ended up with! My roots are under processed but we’ll do a slight over lap at 10 weeks instead of my planned 12 when I get my touch up. We decided to err on the side of caution and not compromise the integrity of my hair by going any longer.

Even better- NO burning!!

After relaxing I used the mizani neutralizing conditioner, then the mizani neutralizing shampoo which was left on for 20 minutes. My final wash was the ORS creamy aloe. Rinsed Then olaplex 0 and 3 for about a half hour, rinsed and then DC’d with Joico treatment balm under the hooded dryer for 20 minutes.

Leave in was KCKT, used lotta body for styling mousse. And topped with olaplex 7, the binding oil.

I was freaking out this AM, but as soon as I saw it after washing was instantly pleased.

My hair feels soft and strong, I still have a lot of texture but I’m actually happy, my hair is like 2c waves now. I can get it straight with a blow dryer or roller set and still wash and go as well. I told her I wanted to be 85% straight to keep the integrity of my hair and I think we’re probably between 80-85%.

Thanks for all the advice and support everyone!

Here are a few Texture shots!

Attachments

• 7FA2C7C7-7EEB-42D4-BD4E-AB230D5C0439.jpeg
    7FA2C7C7-7EEB-42D4-BD4E-AB230D5C0439.jpeg
    542.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 7F9FD2D2-AFF0-4C98-A317-F9A4A0FC9AE9.jpeg
    7F9FD2D2-AFF0-4C98-A317-F9A4A0FC9AE9.jpeg
    481.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited: