Tutorial: KBLC06's Alternative Phony-Bun Using Synthetic Hair

kblc06

Sorry about the small pics guys. I'll post larger one's in my fotki :)

I meant to share this with you guys for a while. This was GO-TO transitioning style for over 7 months. My hair went from about EL/chin length to 2-3 inches past SL in this time frame using this as a "protective" style-I didn't fully realize this was what I was doing since this was before hair boards. Due to my scissor happiness over the past few weeks, I've decided to hide my hair from myself....I was planning on chopping a bob last night, but I got just above apl before I came back to my sense :look: *sigh* :wallbash:. Sooooo...I hope to be making it back to BSL sometime around the end of summer :ohwell:....but anyway here's the tutorial :grin:.

Step 1: Prep hair into a ponytail. The placement does not matter-it's your preference. I've secured my hair into a low ponytail. I have saturated my hair with moisturizers and sealed with coconut and castor oil. I then, braid the ends of the ponytail, take another ponytail holder, wrap it around my hair, and pull the hair through about half-way into a small tucked bun. It should be secure enough that the ends of the ponytail do not come out and is relatively smooth with few flyaways. The ponytail should feel comfortably snug and not too tight.

Step 2: I take a pack of Kanekolon fiber synthetic hair, remove it gently from the pack. There are 2 rubberbands, one tied in a loop dividing the hair at the top and another farther down the length of the hair banding the two sides together. Carefully cut the rubberband that's farther down the length-afterwards the two halves should hang freely with the rubberband dividing the total length of hair remaiing in tact.

Step 3: (It would be nice if you had someone to help you on this part, but you can still get by if you don't)

Either using 2-3 fingers (on someone else's hand) or a doorknob or any other cylindrical object you can keep the hair wrapped around (but remember you have to be able to slide the hair off), begin braiding the length of the hair. The size of the loop should depend on the thickness of your tucked bun. When my hair was shorter and less thick, I made the loop smaller. Make sure you braid the length of the synthetic hair tightly and smoothly-this will help the hair look nicer for a longer period of time.

Step 4: Clip any flyaways remaining on the ends of the braid- you may want to make sure that you do not blunt the ends since this can make it difficult to tuck the hair later on. Secure the ends of the braid with a rubberband to preven unraveling and remove the braid from the doorknob, etc. You should be left with an appropriate sized loop to wrap around your bun

Step 5: Inserting you fingers through the loop, wrap the loop around the base of your tucked bun , much like you would a ponytail holder. The braided loop should feel pretty snug around the bun, but to prevent any hair mishaps, twist the loop around the bun and secure the loop onto the hair using bobby pins. Begin to wrap the braid, using the tucked bun as a base, securing with bobby pins as you wrap the hair around . Tuck the ends of the braid under the bun and pin in place. The bun should feel secure and non-wobbly. I like to take a scrunchie or cut stocking to wrap the bun with-this helps for a little added security and decoration.

That's it-you're done. HTH someone :drunk:

Thanks so much for this! I've been wanting to bun with a phony pony but couldn't get it to look nice, I'll definitely have to try this.

msa

I just had a duh! moment. I could never figure out how to use fake hair for my bun. It just never worked out right, and I can't use the premade buns since they don't match my texture. This makes so much sense, and it's so obvious now that I think about it. The solution was always staring me right in the face.

Thanks for posting this!

magviv

Sorry about the small pics guys. I'll post larger one's in my fotki :)

I meant to share this with you guys for a while. This was GO-TO transitioning style for over 7 months. My hair went from about EL/chin length to 2-3 inches past SL in this time frame using this as a "protective" style-I didn't fully realize this was what I was doing since this was before hair boards. Due to my scissor happiness over the past few weeks, I've decided to hide my hair from myself....I was planning on chopping a bob last night, but I got just above apl before I came back to my sense :look: *sigh* :wallbash:. Sooooo...I hope to be making it back to BSL sometime around the end of summer :ohwell:....but anyway here's the tutorial :grin:.

Step 1: Prep hair into a ponytail. The placement does not matter-it's your preference. I've secured my hair into a low ponytail. I have saturated my hair with moisturizers and sealed with coconut and castor oil. I then, braid the ends of the ponytail, take another ponytail holder, wrap it around my hair, and pull the hair through about half-way into a small tucked bun. It should be secure enough that the ends of the ponytail do not come out and is relatively smooth with few flyaways. The ponytail should feel comfortably snug and not too tight.

Step 2: I take a pack of Kanekolon fiber synthetic hair, remove it gently from the pack. There are 2 rubberbands, one tied in a loop dividing the hair at the top and another farther down the length of the hair banding the two sides together. Carefully cut the rubberband that's farther down the length-afterwards the two halves should hang freely with the rubberband dividing the total length of hair remaiing in tact.

Step 3: (It would be nice if you had someone to help you on this part, but you can still get by if you don't)

Either using 2-3 fingers (on someone else's hand) or a doorknob or any other cylindrical object you can keep the hair wrapped around (but remember you have to be able to slide the hair off), begin braiding the length of the hair. The size of the loop should depend on the thickness of your tucked bun. When my hair was shorter and less thick, I made the loop smaller. Make sure you braid the length of the synthetic hair tightly and smoothly-this will help the hair look nicer for a longer period of time.

Step 4: Clip any flyaways remaining on the ends of the braid- you may want to make sure that you do not blunt the ends since this can make it difficult to tuck the hair later on. Secure the ends of the braid with a rubberband to preven unraveling and remove the braid from the doorknob, etc. You should be left with an appropriate sized loop to wrap around your bun

Step 5: Inserting you fingers through the loop, wrap the loop around the base of your tucked bun , much like you would a ponytail holder. The braided loop should feel pretty snug around the bun, but to prevent any hair mishaps, twist the loop around the bun and secure the loop onto the hair using bobby pins. Begin to wrap the braid, using the tucked bun as a base, securing with bobby pins as you wrap the hair around . Tuck the ends of the braid under the bun and pin in place. The bun should feel secure and non-wobbly. I like to take a scrunchie or cut stocking to wrap the bun with-this helps for a little added security and decoration.

That's it-you're done. HTH someone :drunk:

KBLC06,
I love this idea! Thanks for doing this. You've done such a wonderful step by step but I can't seem to visualize how you made the loop at the beginning. Would you ever consider making a video tutorial of this. You might even consider manufacturing them. I know I would buy one :grin:

kblc06

KBLC06,
I love this idea! Thanks for doing this. You've done such a wonderful step by step but I can't seem to visualize how you made the loop at the beginning. Would you ever consider making a video tutorial of this. You might even consider manufacturing them. I know I would buy one :grin:

Ya know, I really want to post some tutorials on my youtube account, including one for my natural rollersets. I may do so as soon as I can figure out how upload recordered web cam videos...my cameras video recording function does not run long enough to do a complete video.

I have some larger images in my fotki. When I hung both sides around the door knob and braided the ends of the hair, the loop was formed...simply by braiding the 2 sides. You just want to make sure that the object your braid around is adequate for the size of your bun.

And there is absolutely no need to manufacture them...if you can afford some $0.75 pack of synthetic hair and bobby pins, you can do this, lol. That was really the primary reason why I posted this...I'm cheap and this was a great and more realistic alternative to the fake buns they sell in BSS.

*TIP*: Adding braid spray or glycerin, aloe vera gel, etc to the synthetic hair will keep the hair from sapping moisture from your own- synthetic hair can be a bit drying for some hair types

Desarae

Bump! I did this last night and it's cute, quick and inexpensive!

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Thank you kblc06 for this thread. I have been doing this for the last couple of weeks. It's so easy. I have other phony buns but this is my favorite. Believe me, if I can make this bun anyone can and I have short hair.

lilsparkle825

bumping this for those seeking winter styles...i made one of these for my mom (who seems to be severely hairstyle-challenged) and she loves it. once i find a color that matches my natural hair color, i plan on doing it as well.

LongTimeComing

Thank you so much I will be doing this later this week. Premade buns aren't doing it for me anymore. And this is so much cheaper!!

Miss AJ

I would've never thought to make a bun like this. Thanks for the tutorial! I will be trying this hopefully after my first set of braids comes out.

PPGbubbles

Very cute! I have done a phony braided bun B4 with corn rows but never on slicked back hair! Thanks OP

May have to try this 1 day!

Ozma

I just got home form the bss with ma' hurr. I am going to make 2 phony buns for this year: your braided style and a donut bun.

Thanks!