Trimming 2x a year anyone?

For those of you who trim twice a year, how much do you trim? Also, Do you trim becasue your hair is uneaven or do you you tirm because you have splits?

My game plan has been to get a good one inch trim every six months, but now as I am 2.5 inches away from BSL, it is very difficult for me to part with the inch.

I have been dusting since my last major trim which I think was in March or May and my hair is in healthy condition. But, because I am growing out my layers, that bottom row is kinda see thru and it irks me to see "see thru" ends even though they are even. (Ladies who are considering Layers Please consult other who have gone thru the growing out pains prior to rushing for the scissors)

I know I need to post an updated pic for you to see, but I'd like to get suggestions as to whether I should bite the bullet and trim an inch so I can be happily on my way or wait till I hit BSL and then start trimming from that point.

Remember, it has been a good eight months sinc my last cut/trim.

Thanks,

OneInAMillion

I looked at your pic and great progress BTW!

To me, it really depends on how you want to wear your hair. If it will be strictly protective styles, you can wait. If you want to wear it down, do a little dusting (maybe start with 1/2 inch). It's funny how a little trim can may your hair look great.

I tried trimming 2x a year last year, and I was not happy with my ends because sometimes they did look thin even though there were no splits (mind you, your hair looks much better for 8 months without a trim). It's really your preference though.

I know that probably did not help at all :ohwell: . Either way, your hair looks wonderful to me and it's grown so much since September!

Jas123

The Star of a Story
My plan is to trim only 2x a year for 07...this wil be really hard for me because I'm use to trimming with every relaxer..It didn't make sense to trim more often than 2x a year because I wear my hair in a bun/protective styles all the time, wrap my hair every night, air dry, moisturize 2x a day and only use indirect heat for DCing...

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I agree with OneInAMillion...if you will be wearing protective styles then wait, but if you will be wearing your hair down then just trim maybe a 1/4 inch or so...

s_terry

Serenity, no splits then no trim. I have seen several longed hair ladies who during their progress had either uneven ends or what could be considered see through only to gain a few more inches and everything evens out. Keep bagging and protective styling and watch em. If it gets worse then trim. If it gets worse and you don't trim then you might loose some progress.

Pretty hair girlie;) :D

Babygurl

s_terry said:
Serenity, no splits then no trim. I have seen several longed hair ladies who during their progress had either uneven ends or what could be considered see through only to gain a few more inches and everything evens out. Keep bagging and protective styling and watch em. If it gets worse then trim. If it gets worse and you don't trim then you might loose some progress.

Pretty hair girlie;) :D

I agree! I was not a trimmer at all (didnt trim for almost 3 years) and if you look at some of my progress pictures, some months my ends would look see through, but 2 months later, somehow the ends catch themselves and look thick again. Trimming is not always the best option especially if you want to get to a certain length first, I would say get to your goal THEN trim if you want.

Thank You for your suggestions and support! I think I will meet midway and trim 1/4 - 1/2 instead of 1 inch. Since I do plan to wear my hair down maybe once a week, it will give it some definition. Merry Christmas!

mochamadness

Going the Distance
Babygurl said:
I agree! I was not a trimmer at all (didnt trim for almost 3 years) and if you look at some of my progress pictures, some months my ends would look see through, but 2 months later, somehow the ends catch themselves and look thick again. Trimming is not always the best option especially if you want to get to a certain length first, I would say get to your goal THEN trim if you want.

My sentiments exactly!! I'm not much of a trimmer either, but I'm a very frequent duster. Since Oct 2004, I've only had one big trim.

SerenityBreeze
My advice would be to reach your goal first before doing a trim, from the looks of your recent pic your hair doesn't look damaged or see thru. I'm sure if you give you hair a little bit more time, your layers will continue to grow out and increase the thickness in your ends.

MzOptimistic

OneInAMillion said:
I looked at your pic and great progress BTW!

To me, it really depends on how you want to wear your hair. If it will be strictly protective styles, you can wait. If you want to wear it down, do a little dusting (maybe start with 1/2 inch). It's funny how a little trim can may your hair look great.

I tried trimming 2x a year last year, and I was not happy with my ends because sometimes they did look thin even though there were no splits (mind you, your hair looks much better for 8 months without a trim). It's really your preference though.

I know that probably did not help at all :ohwell: . Either way, your hair looks wonderful to me and it's grown so much since September!

I agree with oneinamillion, if you wear protective styles and you're moisturizing your hair and deep conditioning your hair ATLEAST once a week and their are no splits. I would say wait to. I get trims once or twice a year with my last trim done in June. I dc every 3 days so that is what's helping me have decent ends. I will get a trim again in June 2007. I wear my hair bunned and baggied all the time anyways:)

Last edited:

Mystic

Wow Serenity, you have come a long way! Your hair is so beautiful.

I would do all the protective styles possibly to ignore the ends and once you get to a little bit below BSL, trim the ends then. If you trim before, you will be disappointed because you will be farther from BSL. If you leave it alone and ignore it for a while, you will be below BSL so that when you trim, you will be comfortably at BSL and you won't care as much about the trim because you will be at your BSL goal any way.

MzOptimistic

SerenityBreeze said:
For those of you who trim twice a year, how much do you trim? Also, Do you trim becasue your hair is uneaven or do you you tirm because you have splits?

My game plan has been to get a good one inch trim every six months, but now as I am 2.5 inches away from BSL, it is very difficult for me to part with the inch.

I have been dusting since my last major trim which I think was in March or May and my hair is in healthy condition. But, because I am growing out my layers, that bottom row is kinda see thru and it irks me to see "see thru" ends even though they are even. (Ladies who are considering Layers Please consult other who have gone thru the growing out pains prior to rushing for the scissors)

I know I need to post an updated pic for you to see, but I'd like to get suggestions as to whether I should bite the bullet and trim an inch so I can be happily on my way or wait till I hit BSL and then start trimming from that point.

Remember, it has been a good eight months sinc my last cut/trim.

Thanks,

Ooh, your hair is sooo pretty and long...please don't trim it yet wait, Your ends don't look damaged, they look good to me. If you wear you hair in protective styles, please don't trim just yet but on the other hand if you must trim because of SE, you'll still have length....your hair is so pretty and long....okay...um...excuse me...off to finish looking at your progress pictures:p

Princess Pie

Babygurl said:
I'm glad to see comments like this. I'm dealing with thin ends right now, and I've been wondering if I should trim too. I hate to trim, and my ends aren't split or damaged. I think maybe hair can have a "growth spurt" in areas which gives the appearance of thinner ends. I'm hoping that if I wait a little longer, my hair will even out. Patience is key!

sareca

This year, I switched from full-time protective styles to wearing none at all, so I felt I HAD to cut off my scraggly ends. But if you're doing mostly protective styles then I'd leave the trim until goal.

Thank you Ladies again for your suggestions.

I decided to trim an inch off. Its always a bit sad to depart with ends - but on the brighter side, I now have a healthy head of hair with a new beginning for 2007. When I pop my brastrap in 2007, the scissors will be no where to be found!!

Bests!

Last edited:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I usually don't trim if I don't see any split ends. That translates into approximately 2 x a year for me.
So I wouldn't trim just because it had been a certain time since the last time, I would trim only if I saw split ends or if my hair was very uneven. :) Your hair looks great!