Trials and Trubulations of a DIY'er:0)

JamericanGurl

Post some of your DIY hairdos. I just posted this starting topic and pics only to have a fat lil baby hit my keyboard a mess up my post.

Be right back ....In the meantime...Let's Discuss;)

JamericanGurl

Trying to type fast ...

Okay I wanted my hair cornrowed or flat twisted in the front and straw set in the back. Didn't wanna pay $65. Decided to do it myself:look:

So I went to the beauty supply and bought some Milky Way Human hair for $8.99 http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/ViewDetail.php?product_id=248&searchOption=5&viewOption=1&position=0&limit=20&value1=304&value2=0&value3=0&search=0

I cornrowed my hair halfway. Then I cornrowed the remainder to the back. Then I sewed on the Ripple Curls and Voila!

My homemade hairdo

front of hair (very grey)
http://img361.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hair005is6.jpg

back
http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/1994/hair012aj6.jpg

Not great, but not bad for first DIY project:lol: Especially for me:look:

Radianthealth

Here are a couple of mine, more are in my album:)

As you can see, I gots mad skillz;)

Just kidding, I was inspired by a lot of members on this board.

Photo 1 are some braids I did on my own hair. I put yaki weave in the back because I got lazy and wanted a fuller look.
Photo 2 is my Beijing bun. I call it Beijing because of my asian inspired hair sticks
photo 3 is my newest protective style. It is a french roll with a small phony pony used as stuffing. I used good days hair clips (Thanks Isis :) ) and inserted my asian inspired hair sticks. In the morning I do a side swept bang. I use a flexirod on the bang in the morning when I wake up and take it out in my car right before I go to work (about 1 hour total), the front curl lasts all day :D.
photo 4 is the trusty phony afro pony. Everyone thinks my texlaxed hair is natural. I take it as a compliment :)
photo 5 is my flexirod set done on air dried hair. I left the flexirods in overnight finger seperated and used about a quarter size amount of vatika oil for shine.

I still have to figure out how to
  1. Rollerset
  2. Braidout
  3. Twistout

ETA: Your hair looks great, I love the twists. The hair in the back is extremely shiny too, I thought it was your hair :blush: What is the white at the top crown area? Are those rollers?

Attachments

• Roll.jpg
    Roll.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 208
  • IMAGE3.jpg
    IMAGE3.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 209
  • Braid1.jpg
    Braid1.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Beijing002.jpg
    Beijing002.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Hair1-200731204.jpg
    Hair1-200731204.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

JamericanGurl

trimbride said:
Here are a couple of mine, more are in my album:)

As you can see, I gots mad skillz;)

Just kidding, I was inspired by a lot of members on this board.

Photo 1 are some braids I did on my own hair. I put yaki weave in the back because I got lazy and wanted a fuller look.
Photo 2 is my Beijing bun. I call it Beijing because of my asian inspired hair sticks
photo 3 is my newest protective style. It is a french roll with a small phony pony used as stuffing. I used good days hair clips (Thanks Isis :) ) and inserted my asian inspired hair sticks. In the morning I do a side swept bang. I use a flexirod on the bang in the morning when I wake up and take it out in my car right before I go to work (about 1 hour total), the front curl lasts all day :D.
photo 4 is the trusty phony afro pony. Everyone thinks my texlaxed hair is natural. I take it as a compliment :)
photo 5 is my flexirod set done on air dried hair. I left the flexirods in overnight finger seperated and used about a quarter size amount of vatika oil for shine.

I still have to figure out how to
  1. Rollerset
  2. Braidout
  3. Twistout
ETA: Your hair looks great, I love the twists. The hair in the back is extremely shiny too, I thought it was your hair :blush: What is the white at the top crown area? Are those rollers?
My ghetto rollers:lol:

Hey you do have skillz. I wanna see that flexi rod set up close. I was gonna do my own hair in a straw set, but I haven't mastered that :nono:

Radianthealth

I have photos of how I did the set in my album, I will bump the thread with instructions too.

It was really easy, I just did it on clean airdried hair. It works best when I am further along in my stretch. I rolled forward so I combed my hair forward toward my face and then placed the flexi rod under the hair and rolled down towards the scalp. I hope that makes sense. The photo is from a 10 week stretch, it seems to make it fuller:)

firecracker

Hey who's the lil girl with the white ribbons in the top of her hair:lol: You don stole somebodies pictures. Ok fo real you sewed those curls in your hair yourself and did the cornrows back?:) Get it girl!

imstush

firecracker said:
Hey who's the lil girl with the white ribbons in the top of her hair:lol: You don stole somebodies pictures. Ok fo real you sewed those curls in your hair yourself and did the cornrows back?:) Get it girl!

:lol: :lol: :lol: can I tell you I closed the pic twice because I thought the same thing. I was like who the rass does JG have a pic of:lol:

JamericanGurl

firecracker said:

Leave my ghetto tender headed rollers alone:lachen:

**** as bad as the economyis Imma start weaving heads in my garage. Imma have the Turkey be the Shampoo boy wit da water hose:lachen:

Seriously, I've always wanted a straw set...But I jus can't figure it out:confused: So, this worked. Shoot my friend was like gurl what kind of rollers did you use and what setting lotion:look: I'm like needle and thread:lachen: Now her arse gone head this way so I can curl up her whole head.

pattycake0701

JamericanGurl said:
Leave my ghetto tender headed rollers alone:lachen:

**** as bad as the economyis Imma start weaving heads in my garage. Imma have the Turkey be the Shampoo boy wit da water hose:lachen:

Seriously, I've always wanted a straw set...But I jus can't figure it out:confused: So, this worked. Shoot my friend was like gurl what kind of rollers did you use and what setting lotion:look: I'm like needle and thread:lachen: Now her arse gone head this way so I can curl up her whole head.

My mom has those same rollers.

I like this style. I did something similar a few years ago but I used my own hair (it was about shoulder length) and used skinny flexirods.. I would like to try this style with some wefted afro hair but I can never find hair that matches my natural color.

JamericanGurl

pattycake0701 said:
My mom has those same rollers.

I like this style. I did something similar a few years ago but I used my own hair (it was about shoulder length) and used skinny flexirods.. I would like to try this style with some wefted afro hair but I can never find hair that matches my natural color.

I'm doing this style on my other friend on Sunday

http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/ViewDetail.php?product_id=257&searchOption=5&viewOption=1&position=0&limit=20&value1=304&value2=0&value3=0&search=0#

Radianthealth

Here are some more that I just added to my album. I love creating different protective styles and I love not relying on a stylist.

I sort of prefer a more natural look when it comes to styles, so my hairstyles aren't as polished as a hair magazine but I like it that way:) . I also tend to take the photos at the end of the day after I have walked around for 10-12 hours:look:

The first two pictures are of me wearing a snood that I got from a BSS

- I put on an old afro phony pony underneath to make the snood appear fuller.
- I fastened the snood to my hair using 5-6 bobby pins.
- I did a side swept bang in the front, because I like side swept bangs :)

The last two photos are of my french roll style with curls at the top.
- I found an old wet and wavy phony pony made of human hair.
- I bunched the phony pony and wrapped the bottom half with kinky twisting hair to create a filling for my french roll.
- I did a french roll and used good day hair clips to secure the phony pony as filler for my french roll.
- The hair that is sticking out of the top is from the phony pony.
- I used a hot curler to add a couple of curls to the exposed phony pony hair. I added a jeweled hair comb that I found at Sally's
- I did a side swept bang in the front. I used a blue flexi rod in the front for about an hour to give it a little curl.

These styles are totally protective except for the sideswept bang.

Attachments

• Snood2.jpg
    Snood2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Snood.jpg
    Snood.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Rollcurl.jpg
    Rollcurl.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Curlroll.jpg
    Curlroll.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Aubergold

trimbride said:
Here are some more that I just added to my album. I love creating different protective styles and I love not relying on a stylist.

I sort of prefer a more natural look when it comes to styles, so my hairstyles aren't as polished as a hair magazine but I like it that way:) . I also tend to take the photos at the end of the day after I have walked around for 10-12 hours:look:

The first two pictures are of me wearing a snood that I got from a BSS

- I put on an old afro phony pony underneath to make the snood appear fuller.
- I fastened the snood to my hair using 5-6 bobby pins.
- I did a side swept bang in the front, because I like side swept bangs :)

The last two photos are of my french roll style with curls at the top.
- I found an old wet and wavy phony pony made of human hair.
- I bunched the phony pony and wrapped the bottom half with kinky twisting hair to create a filling for my french roll.
- I did a french roll and used good day hair clips to secure the phony pony in the middle of my hair. The hair that is sticking out of the top is from the phony pony.
- I used a hot curler to add a couple of curls to the exposed phony pony hair. I added a jeweled hair comb that I found at Sally's
- I did a side swept bang in the front. I used a blue flexi rod in the front for about an hour to give it a little curl.

This style is totally protective except for the sideswept bang.

nice! I love the last two a lot!

Radianthealth

Thanks, I am surprised it still looked decent. I was out shopping today in the rain:eek: :eek:

Also Jamericangurl I want to see photos of your style once you take out your rollers ;)

dlewis

It looks really nice. Beautiful red hair. Now I've seen your wrist and hair. It's all coming together.:lol:

Trimbride all your styles look so nice, I'm not that creative.

Radianthealth

dlewis said:
It looks really nice. Beautiful red hair. Now I've seen your wrist and hair. It's all coming together.:lol:

Trimbride all your styles look so nice, I'm not that creative.

:confused: :eek: I was inspired by you and a couple of other members that had those flexi8 french rolls in their siggy. I was like I am gonna figure out how to do my hair like that if it is the last thing I do:lol:

dlewis

trimbride said:
:confused: :eek: I was inspired by you and a couple of other members that had those flexi8 french rolls in their siggy. I was like I am gonna figure out how to do my hair like that if it is the last thing I do:lol:

Well you def. figured it out.:lol: It's very pretty.