Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Joining you guys at 21 weeks post. Never, ever thought I would stop relaxing. Pshhh - silly me! Transition has been relatively painless thus far.

I am 20 months post on a very long transition, probably at least 36 months. I just trim every 3 months. I am currently at BSB stretched. I hope to grow to WSL stretched. Will see what that is unstretched when I get there. I cowash 2-3 times a week and deep condition 1-2 times a week.

I've been sleeping on using my steamer consistently. Last night, I used it on dry hair with AO GPB and it was really nice. Helped me detangle better in the shower.

May try using the steamer more as a pre-poo treatment before shampooing.

Still happy with my progress. Instead of curlformer sets, I may use my Marley hair and do buns for the upcoming colder winter months and hide my own hair.

As of yesterday 47wks (almost one year!!!! woot!)

I'm not sure why my sister is pressing me about when I'm going to cut my hair. I originally thought at the one year mark....new year new beginnings, but that's like right around the corner, and I'm not mentally ready. So I said maybe in June for my bday??? We'll see. In the meantime I think I found a shop where this lady specializes in "natural" hair care. I'm going to check it out and maybe let her do my BC when the time comes.

Keep up the good work ladies!

I am considering transitioning to natural. I was natural in my 20's for about 4 years and then went back to relaxing because my hair got to be too much for me to handle. I really regret that but that was before this board and Youtube, I didn't know about all of the information out there.

A BC is out of the question so I knew I would have to transition but I wasn't mentally prepared for that. It just dawned on me that I have gone 8 months without a touchup and I really didn't notice nor do I care. I miss my thick, nappy hair. I am just kind of tired of perms and I really want to be free of them. So I think I'm going to go for it! :grin:

I'm joining in at 14 weeks post. I can't believe I'm actually committing to transitioning. If someone asked me as recently as this past summer if I would ever stop relaxing my hair I would have thought they were crazy. I just got tired of always trying to repair the damage of relaxing and heat styling and I'm trying to treat my hair the way it clearly wants to be treated.

I've been roller setting and deep conditioning weekly (no more blow drying and curling). Shea butter is my new best friend. I definitely need some inspiration though. This is much harder than I ever thought it would be.

Last edited:
I'm joining in at 14 weeks post. I can't believe I'm actually committing to transitioning. If someone asked me as recently as this past summer if I would ever stop relaxing my hair I would have thought they were crazy. I just got tired of always trying to repair the damage of relaxing and heat styling and I'm trying to treat my hair the way it clearly wants to be treated.

I've been roller setting and deep conditioning weekly (no more blow drying and curling). Shea butter is my new best friends. I definitely need some inspiration though. This is much harder than I ever thought it would be.

LDub512,

ITA with everything in bold. I'm almost 14 wks post and I'm totally right there with you. I really need LHCF for inspiration (these ladies are great). On the flip side of that, I've been spending a small fortune since I've joined. :lol:

I'm officially 52 weeks post today. WOOT.....WOOT... Doing the happy Dance! Never in a million years did I ever think I could go this long without relaxing. I definately dont think i'll make it until to December 2012 to do my BC but hopefully I can hold out until July and chop for my Bday!!

Last edited:
I *think* I've decided today to transition. I have breakage from wearing my bun in the same stop everyday. I was going to relax tomorrow for the holiday but I'm just gonna wash and flat iron.

I'm about 3 months post and the longest layer is at just below BSL.

I will be washing/cowashing and DCing 1 x per week

M&S daily sometimes twice

Protective styling making sure I move my bun daily!!!

May try bagging

Now to read through this thread for great advice.

J'ai la Joie de Vie!!!!

OMG.. just realized I'm a year post! I washed my hair today. Thought I'd share some pics.

Honestly, I got no clue what to do with this. I guess my "curls" aren't really defined? I'm still getting my hair straightened every 1-2 weeks.

Feedback appreciated!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 97
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 102
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 98
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 90
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 79
LDub512,

ITA with everything in bold. I'm almost 14 wks post and I'm totally right there with you. I really need LHCF for inspiration (these ladies are great). On the flip side of that, I've been spending a small fortune since I've joined. :lol:
I feel you on spending the small fortune. I thought I would be saving money by not running to the salon every few weeks. I couldn't have been more wrong. I know I buy 2-3 new products every week. I have found some good stuff though. Besides this is completely unchartered territory for me and I have to figure out what's gonna work for me.

How do I keep my hair transitioning hair straight?

Ladies,
I need help. How are you keeping your hair straight? I went to my old hairdresser when I was 8 weeks post and she straightened my hair. It was gorgeous and it lasted a long time. However, I was very uncomfortable with the amount of heat she used on my hair. The last thing I want is long, natural, heat damaged hair. I have tried twice to straighten my hair at home (most recently at 14 weeks post). Within 24 hours my roots in some areas were coiled up like they had never seen any heat. My regi is below...

wash & DC
roller set (used Kinky Curly knot today on roots)
flat ironed only ng (used Nexxus heat protexx)

What am I doing wrong?

I am 6 months post today. I am transitioning but not trying to wear my hair straight. I typically wear plaits under my wig for work. As long as I am wearing something to protect my hair underneath, my hair thrives.

I've been co-washing with Assuie Moist and using the kimmaytube leave-in. I'm trying to keep it simple.

The only reason I have not cut my relaxed ends yet is because I prefer to braid my hair underneath the wig, and once I cut the ends the length might be too short to do the 8 plaits. I can not cornrow. Maybe once I BC I will have something to post pics of. Until then, I am working on finding a regimen that works for my hair.

Re: How do I keep my hair transitioning hair straight?

Ladies,
I need help. How are you keeping your hair straight? I went to my old hairdresser when I was 8 weeks post and she straightened my hair. It was gorgeous and it lasted a long time. However, I was very uncomfortable with the amount of heat she used on my hair. The last thing I want is long, natural, heat damaged hair. I have tried twice to straighten my hair at home (most recently at 14 weeks post). Within 24 hours my roots in some areas were coiled up like they had never seen any heat. My regi is below...

wash & DC
roller set (used Kinky Curly knot today on roots)
flat ironed only ng (used Nexxus heat protexx)

What am I doing wrong?

I had recently pressed my hair and it lasted about two weeks. I did apply an oil (of your choice, of course) each day and kept it wrapped. But, I honestly could stand the fact that I couldn't use my moisturizers and leave-ins. Whew. I couldn't wait to get back to my curly hair.

OMG.. just realized I'm a year post! I washed my hair today. Thought I'd share some pics.

Honestly, I got no clue what to do with this. I guess my "curls" aren't really defined? I'm still getting my hair straightened every 1-2 weeks.

Feedback appreciated!

Okay. Unless you are heat training your hair, give the straightening a rest. It may lead to damage. Maybe a weave, braids or some other protective style?

As for curl definition, until your relaxed ends are gone, it'll be hard to determine the complete hair type. So, your curls could either still be hiding from you or you have a type that's not as defined, but still awesome to rock.

I'm so happy at your progress!!!! :spinning:

Had a big urge to relax today!!! The shedding during wash is out of control. Please make it get better.

kinda of lost track but ive been transitioning for about a year now and im soo happy that i am loosing the urge to relax as it gets easier and easier the less u have to deal with the two textures.
i cannot wait until im fully natural! ill try and post pics when i have my next wash before my install..
i have lots of updating to do

Still on this journey at 14 months post. Omg I'm getting so anxious. I just trimmed my hair last week and the nape is completely relaxer free now. I can't stop playing with it :)

Feedback appreciated!
05girl
congratz at reaching a year post! how r u getting ur hair straightened??

05girl
congratz at reaching a year post! how r u getting ur hair straightened??

Thanks!

My stylist washes, conditions, blow dries then uses flat iron to straighten... is that what you mean? I am unsure which brand products.. for sure some redken shampoos but she also uses several others.

ETA: she uses a FHI iron on about 400-425. I think before straightening all she puts on my hair is aveda anti-humectant pomade.
In washing and straightening my hair myself, I have made some progress. I think for me the key is going little by little and moving the iron slowly.

Last edited:
Checking in @ 123 weeks.

Just washed with LCL from Teressentials, did an Aphogee hard protein treatment and Dc'd with KBB Luscious Locks. I'm about to go in on getting those mini twits started!

Re: How do I keep my hair transitioning hair straight?

I had recently pressed my hair and it lasted about two weeks. I did apply an oil (of your choice, of course) each day and kept it wrapped. But, I honestly could stand the fact that I couldn't use my moisturizers and leave-ins. Whew. I couldn't wait to get back to my curly hair.
Thanks. I'll probably try pressing it the next time I want to wear it straight. I'm just sticking to wearing it curly right now.

Back