Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

I washed my hair for the first time since I've come out of braids and I was scared it was going to be a disaster. BUT to my pleasant surprise, it was very delightful. My NG is very soft and wavy and detangling wasn't as bad as I imagined. I'm 7 months post and looking forward to the next 5 months. I'm taking baby steps....I'm going back into braids next week.

So I'm SLOWLY creeping up on the 6 months post mark(this Saturday) and I have to say that I'm rather anxious to take my braids out this weekend. But I really planned on keeping them in until the first week of November. I mean it's only been 3 weeks! I'm having NG withdrawls or something.

i'm 18 months post right now and i want to cut sooo bad. i didnt really have the itch until now. i'm trying to either wait until april 2011(2 years post) or dec 2011 (32 months post). detangling isnt really a problem and seems to have gotten easier. the first few months were rough, b/c when i'd wear my hair in wet buns, i'd have this weird hump at the top of my head. now it all lays down.

i also thought my hairline had fallen out b/c i have little curly hairs but realized after i'd colored my hair in april the colored portion snapped off. the hair looks really short, but when i stretch it out, its actually pretty long down to my chin. i just can't wait to cut the relaxer off but im soo scared of short hair b/c i do not look good with short hair. but i can't do anything at this point besides wear ponytails or straighten it and wear it half up/down. i had a mini-chop in may after having my apl hair snipped to above sl due to damage from color. i might do another mini-chop in dec, then april, then dec 2011 and just be done with it. decisions decision....

I know SmilingElephant made a thread about this,but I wanted to ask you ladies in here:

Have any of you guys started using products that are geared towards naturals and curls yet? And if so, how far into your transition were you when you started?

Chelz checkin in at almost 16 and 1/2 months post....I took some pictures of my new growth and I must say that I am in LOVEEEEEE!!!!! :love: I cant wait until my hair is really long, I'm on a natural high!! :love3: But anyways, I applied Suave coconut condish to "dirty" hair as a prepoo and the pics are with the prepoo still in my hair. My hair looks superrr dark when damp/wet :rolleyes: P.S. Hope the pics arent too big :look:

Oh, and BTW, my camera SUCKS. :nono:

The Sides: I think that this section is the tightest curl pattern in my hair because it is quick to curl/shrink up and actually looks much shorter than it is. This section is around NL/SL, well, it definitely comes well past my chin, stretched :lol:
876e1ad771fc6a4ab88d6e47f94d24be.jpg

The Front: I think this section of my hair is the loosest...it takes it longer to curl and when it does the curl is a loose/wavy curl...I think. :scratchch The front comes to the bottom of my lips stretched.
910202e2212ecd7c4da1e19ffe156fcf.jpg

The Crown: The curl pattern in this section is simlar to the front, just a little tighter. It is a wave curl I guess...:look:
b0dfb0b99842e0ccab3dace64ca608e1.jpg

The Back: I used to think this section was the most loose but I guess I'm wrong, it has springy curls...:grin: It comes past my collar bones...:rolleyes:
0b2cd334c53a95b02ccfecf17b511e31.jpg

cbefe196e84f676c1d3835231a095531.jpg

238a00b12a229bbe1d4ada07bb271a74.jpg

688adaa70bdca46a09ec7447025bf5eb.jpg

077576de69b9fc5ee6e408745876af4c.jpg

Moral of my story, Relaxed ends suck!!! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Chelz, your hair is WOWWEE!!! I'm considering transitioning and it's pics like yours that makes me want to sooo bad! Beautiful, girlie! Beautiful!

I'm 16 months post today woo hoo! Had the itch bad yesterday to chop soon, but I'm not! Still going to try my best to stick with my goal of doing a 3 year transition. Even if I don't go the full 3 years, I am at least going to transition to the 2 year mark (next June) before chopping. Keep it up ladies! :)

Tuesday I'll be 6 months too! Hoping the next 6 months will be as easy as the first. :yep: I need to update my siggy. I don't visit LHCF like I used to.

Last edited:
A little birdie has been in my ear talking about trying out a BKT. has anyone tried it during their transition and if so, how did it work out? did it alter your curl pattern at all? I'm just nervous about that the most.

Shrinkage is driving me crazy. I know it's par for the course. But, my bsl hair looks so damn short. Also, I'm having a hard time with my braid-outs and twist-outs. My relaxed hair gets curly/wavy; but, my natural hair isn't blending well. Ugh!

Don't fret. I'm not desiring a relaxer at all. I just want to handle these two issues.

going back to my rollersets faithfully... still having a lot of breakage... will try hot oil treatment today.... ladies dont laugh.:look::look:.. but how do you do a hot oil treatment???

going back to my rollersets faithfully... still having a lot of breakage... will try hot oil treatment today.... ladies dont laugh.:look::look:.. but how do you do a hot oil treatment???

indarican you just oil your hair and scalp; put on a plastic cap and sit under the dryer/heat cap. Or you can heat up the oil before applying it to your head and just cover it with the cap and walk around.

HTH

Hey ladies so i was really on the fence all week about relaxing my hair again, going from never doing your hair really to transitioning is Really REALLY HARD:ohwell: but yesterday for the first time during this transition i saw Ringlets!!!:grin::grin::grin: little 4a ringlets along my hair line and some looser ones in my crown area:spinning::spinning::spinning:... I am so excited and really want to stay natural forever. Now this is my issue i need some PS's. im having loads of breakage, minimal shedding when i dont flat iron my hair. I dont want to keep using the flat iron becase im trying to baby my edges and nape which have been horrible my whole life, i have been doing rollersets but now they are looking HAM because of the new growth. My braid outs are horrible and i cant twist out. I cant wear any false hair, due to the fact that i get blisters??? :nono::nono:dont know why but more then 12 hours with any false hair on my head and my scalp is all jacked up. soooo anyone got any suggestions?

I'm 16 months post today woo hoo! Had the itch bad yesterday to chop soon, but I'm not! Still going to try my best to stick with my goal of doing a 3 year transition. Even if I don't go the full 3 years, I am at least going to transition to the 2 year mark (next June) before chopping. Keep it up ladies! :)

I'm just two months post behind you.

hello everyone! after months of lurking on this website &bhm I'm finally a member this is my first post actually. quick info: I relaxed every 3 months most of my life but never did a protein treatment (well until a few weeks ago after being on my HHJ yay!) but i had tons of breakage and shedding as well and never retained length :( now I'm 13 weeks post relaxer :) and also retaining a lot of growth since I've been moiturizing daily which I did every 2 weeks or so. I treated my hair like no other smh. I am so tempted to big chop, but didn't grow enough balls for that yet lol. I will DEFINITELY be transitioning though, and any support at this point would be kindly appreciated!

Welcome bibirockz

SN: hey ladies, I am officially over my 5months post mark ...cant wait until my relaxed ends are gone. I want to do small chops but i want to keep my length:ohwell:

Shrinkage is driving me crazy. I know it's par for the course. But, my bsl hair looks so damn short. Also, I'm having a hard time with my braid-outs and twist-outs. My relaxed hair gets curly/wavy; but, my natural hair isn't blending well. Ugh!

Don't fret. I'm not desiring a relaxer at all. I just want to handle these two issues.

check out the twist-n-curl on curlynikki.com that has helped a lot with blending the relaxed hair with the natural hair. It's still working for me and I'm 16 months post. HTH!

Hey ladies so i was really on the fence all week about relaxing my hair again, going from never doing your hair really to transitioning is Really REALLY HARD:ohwell: but yesterday for the first time during this transition i saw Ringlets!!!:grin::grin::grin: little 4a ringlets along my hair line and some looser ones in my crown area:spinning::spinning::spinning:... I am so excited and really want to stay natural forever. Now this is my issue i need some PS's. im having loads of breakage, minimal shedding when i dont flat iron my hair. I dont want to keep using the flat iron becase im trying to baby my edges and nape which have been horrible my whole life, i have been doing rollersets but now they are looking HAM because of the new growth. My braid outs are horrible and i cant twist out. I cant wear any false hair, due to the fact that i get blisters??? :nono::nono:dont know why but more then 12 hours with any false hair on my head and my scalp is all jacked up. soooo anyone got any suggestions?

You should try blowing out your hair then twisting your hair or get your hair braied w/o extensions.
It sounds like you have an allergic reaction to synthetic hair, so you could try PS with human hair
or try washing the synthetic hair before doing your hair.

I had this problem yesterday and I'm only 4 months post. My hair looked AWFULLLLL. I did a bantu knot-out and wore it with a headband and I swore I looked like I was wearing a half wig. The front of my hair was thick and kinky and the curls from the bantu knots just didn't match the curls of natural hair :(

Last edited:
Back