Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

^^^Mine usually just stay. I usually do them at night on air-dried hair with Shea Moisture Shea Butter Masque, I roll the ends of all of them with perm rod rollers and take them out in the morning. If you get the plait as close as you can (without breakage) to the end, you should be fine. Oh, and I'm a 4b/4a, so mine may stay better than if you were a 3c or 3b
My ends are straight because of the relaxer...so they never stay in braids, some suggested i use beezwax to keep them from unraveling... is that what beezwax is for, i never used it.. also is it good for my hair?

Im new to LHCF, and just found this thread...Im ten months post. Grazing APL with type 4a/4b with 3c at the nape, very fine....I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Keep up the good work ladies!

My ends are straight because of the relaxer...so they never stay in braids, some suggested i use beezwax to keep them from unraveling... is that what beezwax is for, i never used it.. also is it good for my hair?

I've never used it, but I do have a lot of sisters-in-law that don't recommend it. Even when you air-dry it doesn't stay? Mine unravel a little too, but not much. Maybe because some of my hair is still texlaxed.

I've never used it, but I do have a lot of sisters-in-law that don't recommend it. Even when you air-dry it doesn't stay? Mine unravel a little too, but not much. Maybe because some of my hair is still texlaxed.
Even when i air dry because im relaxed bone straight so the hair doesnt have much of a wave or curl at the end. and if my ends unravel it travels all the way up and the braid comes out completely (im talking about box braids)

Even when i air dry because im relaxed bone straight so the hair doesnt have much of a wave or curl at the end. and if my ends unravel it travels all the way up and the braid comes out completely (im talking about box braids)

Aw, that sucks! If you choose beeswax, I would be really careful with it.

Today starts my official start date. I'm going to try the transition again...I might BC, not sure yet. If I BC, I'll move out this thread and to another one, lol.

SUNDAY, AUGUST 29TH. DAY 1--TRANSITION/ROAD TO NATURAL.
TAKE TWO!

I occasionally use beeswax when I do my ponytails. Just be sure to wash it out completely with a sulfate poo and make sure your hair is very moisturized before you put the beeswax on your hair.

Today starts my official start date. I'm going to try the transition again...I might BC, not sure yet. If I BC, I'll move out this thread and to another one, lol.

SUNDAY, AUGUST 29TH. DAY 1--TRANSITION/ROAD TO NATURAL.
TAKE TWO!

YAAAY! Happy you decided to transition. If you ever have any problems and you feel like giving up, just pop in here, the transitioners thread, or the newly natural thread and I'm sure we can give you some encouragement!

Trying a ponytail roller set today... first one ever. I wasn't going to straighten my hair until December but I bought a babyliss overhead dryer and a chi... :look: but I have a feeling that I'm just gonna want to wet my hair again and stick it in a bun. I love my little curlies...

That's great LaFemme!!! Congrats. Well my issue was a little bit of everything:
1) It didn't go well with my face- You look at these beautiful naturals (regarless of texture) on You Tube with big curly ringlets or full bold afros or whatever and you hope that progressively that will be you. GIRLLLLLL, I was dedicated to my regimen and got great growth and hair health results, but the LOOK of my hair was just not flattering. True, perhaps I didn't know what I was doing but that was then.
2) I was shocked that Natural Hair Salons (in my area atleast) charge more money that the regular salons, lol!!! So I found myself just weaving and wiggin' it out and not really enjoying my own hair. (The weaves can last me a couple months for the same cost as the natural styles that would last a couple weeks)
3) I just didn't plan things out...I had overexpectations thinking going natural was this effortless, low maintenance, quick transition that would result in this gorgeous head of hair and I slowly realized that it was just as much work as maintaining relaxed hair, if not more.

So, that's about it in a nutshell. I look a whole lot better with relaxed hair but I like the idea of eventually being chemical free.

Yeah I understand. Certain hairstyles and lengths dont go well with my face. Depending on your reasons for going natural, you could always be a heat-styled natural if your hair can take it. But you should experiment with a variety of styles before you decide to keep it straight the majority of the time. And, maybe you look really cute with natural styles but you are uncomfortable with them for whatever reason. IDK maybe you have to dig deep to see what the reason really is behind why you think you look the best with straight hair. Also, do you wear makeup and accessories? I don't wear makeup but cute earrings and hair accessories often times makes me feel much more confident.

I'm 2 1/2 months in and I'm getting a bit frustrated. I can't seem to keep my new growth moisturized. Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep it soft and moisturized?

Do you use cones? I'm not against any ingredients but I found that when I stop using cones, my moisture levels increased!

just decided to do some braids on my hair, no extensions though, maybe that will help.... anyone know how to keep the ends from unraveling without using rubber bands?

The only way my ends will stay without rubber bands is if my hair isn't a blunt cut. So if I recently had a trim, then they won't stay but a couple of months later they start to stay together. You could also try a heavy butter like shea butter before you try the beeswax. There are also some natural vegetable waxes ( i think thats what they're called) that you could try.

Thanks again LaFemme for the encouraging words. I hope this second time around will be more successful but one thing I know is that this time I am ENJOYING my decision more rather than seeing it as a daunting task. Let's see how it goes! I'll be relying heavily on sew-ins/braids or half wigs to get me through the beginning phases. And even more fortunate this time around, the girl that will be doing my sew-ins will be helping me with the transition process as well by trimming and treating the hair after each take down so I can hopefully have a painless and productive progress, lol. It's nice to know my "weaver" is a supporter of my transition, you don't find that often; she is very happy of my decision and had a consultation with me on how the process can go. Most weavers frown upon doing natural, but she is so knowledgeable and cool about it. On my part, I will be paying special attention to protecting my edges with JBCO or Megatek along the way; I'll keep you all posted ofcourse as part of the this thread and I'll try to keep pics also. It's so good to be back in my thread again!!!! Yipeee!

Last edited:
Trying a ponytail roller set today... first one ever. I wasn't going to straighten my hair until December but I bought a babyliss overhead dryer and a chi... :look: but I have a feeling that I'm just gonna want to wet my hair again and stick it in a bun. I love my little curlies...

I LOVE my Babyliss overhead dryer!!! Before, when I was straightening my hair, the Chi was THE BOMB!!! I still use it for my daughter's hair though which gets her hair silky shiny.

So this week I learned that my hair does so much better after a henna treatment. I did notice it so much earily on in my transition but it make a big difference in how my hair looks esp after a wet set. It's messy and can be a total hassel but it is worth it.

The only way my ends will stay without rubber bands is if my hair isn't a blunt cut. So if I recently had a trim, then they won't stay but a couple of months later they start to stay together. You could also try a heavy butter like shea butter before you try the beeswax. There are also some natural vegetable waxes ( i think thats what they're called) that you could try.[/QUOTE]

Are we talking about all natural shea butter, or the shea butter designed for hair?.. Just trying to figure it out. Thanks for the advice!!

The only way my ends will stay without rubber bands is if my hair isn't a blunt cut. So if I recently had a trim, then they won't stay but a couple of months later they start to stay together. You could also try a heavy butter like shea butter before you try the beeswax. There are also some natural vegetable waxes ( i think thats what they're called) that you could try.

Are we talking about all natural shea butter, or the shea butter designed for hair?.. Just trying to figure it out. Thanks for the advice!![/QUOTE]

Raw shea butter. Im not sure what you mean by shea butter designed for hair.

ADVICE PLS -

I am some weeks post relaxer and I cannot help but want to know what my natural texture is :grin:. I remember a little bit about it from when I was a little girl and in my mind I love it.

The more I read, the more I think my natural texture is 3c/4a/b-ish. I SO want to know right now but I was told to wait until I had at least an inch before trying to figure it out :yawn:.

Part of me who is insecure doesn't want to BC my hair because 1.)when I had pixie hair I was at least 10-15lbs lighter and 2.) if my relationship goes the way I hope, I don't want to get married with short hair and the possibility of marriage is at least 3 years off. I know hair can grow a lot in that time frame, but still... OY!

So what did you ladies do to stop obsessing :dork: over your natural curls and kinks? :bouncegre

Well ladies, I'm still holding on. Enjoying the feel of my newgrowth. I may be straightening tonight though. I found a product today at the BSS and researched it. I may use it tonight. I even started a thread on it so I wouldn't hijack this one. Check it out, and if any of you have had experience with the product, please share your experiences.

I LOVE my Babyliss overhead dryer!!! Before, when I was straightening my hair, the Chi was THE BOMB!!! I still use it for my daughter's hair though which gets her hair silky shiny.

My hair turned out nice. I was able to straighten my hair with one pass! It looks liked I got a touch up. The last time a flat iron touched my head was in February. As much as I cannot wait to be a natural, I love the fact that my hair is all one texture now and I don't have to worry about detangling. atleast until I decide to wash it..

My hair turned out nice. I was able to straighten my hair with one pass! It looks liked I got a touch up. The last time a flat iron touched my head was in February. As much as I cannot wait to be a natural, I love the fact that my hair is all one texture now and I don't have to worry about detangling. atleast until I decide to wash it..

Yes, it really helps! It's been 9 days since I washed my hair, and even though I have it up, the last thing I want to do is wash it again and deal with the detangling.

Checking in @ 67 weeks post. Nothing interesting going on here. I bun most of the time and blowdry once every two weeks. I don't think I'll trim any more relaxed ends until the end of the year.

Welcome back to the light, Smiley, lol

hi all! 12 weeks post over here, so far I'm coping via bantu knots, knot-outs, flat twists and whole head baggying every night.

I decided to transition because I'm tired of having thin hair from relaxing. I won't be BC'ing because I'm not terribly fond of short hair, and my boyfriend absolutely hates it. No reason to cut it. Now that I know how to properly maintain my hair, thanks to all the helpful and knowledgeable women on this site, I can minimize breakage until I'm ready to cut. I can't wait to see my natural texture and have healthy hair. I know that if you take care of it, relaxed hair can be healthy too, but I want my thick natural hair back. :yep: I'm 8 weeks post, and I like the curl pattern that is slowly emerging from my long suffering scalp. It's too bad we can't attach files because I'd put a picture, guess I'll wait till I have a little more to show :grin:

I'm officially in at 5 weeks post relaxer.:yep: I'm shooting for at least a year, hopefully longer so I can bun when I BC.:yep:

YAY! Good luck DDTexlaxed. Be sure to come in here often if you ever feel like BCing or relaxing or if you're having trouble during your transition!

Back