Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

KidneyBean86

Southern sweetheart
Thank you ladies for all the comments. Your posts really eased my mind a bit. This transition to natural is truly a journey.

Mjon912

Today's a wash day... =\ I'll be a prisoner to my hair for the rest of the day... on another note I was looking at a small section of my natural hair, Shrinkage is Crazy! If I ever wear my hair in its natural state I will look super bald lol

image-3066306254.jpg

image-3990332308.jpg

Mjon912

At KidneyBean86 I know lol

It's only 2:30am and I'm just getting under the dryer while everyone in my house is asleep, got an hour under here, another 30 mins to flat iron and probably another 30 mins after that looking for a scarf until I give up and just use one of my daughters... Fun times

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I have fallen in love w/ Aloe Vera Gel... The liquid kind. I sprayed it in my hair as part of the LOC Method. My hair came out super soft, shiny, and wavy.

image-436028315.jpg

SN: I'm over time finding multiple uses for products I have. My AVG I use as a facial toner, close hair cuticles, and now a hair spritz. That definitely helps the pockets since I'm pregnant now.

I want to straighten my hair but I don't want to ruin my new growth. Britt and Others. Any advice on straightening? What temp do you use? Do you rollerset first to get from wet to dry?

Mjon912

I'm dead tired but happy I rollerset! I'm so happy I'm able to rollerset during my transition, I originally though I would be fully natural by aug but I'm now thinking I have about another year to go. My sides,edges and back are now all natural but my crown area still has some relaxed/ colored ends =\ I will not be doing another big cut so I'll just be (im)patiently waiting for that section to get long enough to cut. My focus now is on growth rather then 'being natural' =) anyway what's a post without pictures... 19 months in

image-3970765613.jpg

My shrinkage!!!

image-4012447024.jpg

image-1350834105.jpg

image-3492684714.jpg

image-4220429782.jpg

image-1917432175.jpg

image-2499664280.jpg

bebezazueta

I'm dead tired but happy I rollerset! I'm so happy I'm able to rollerset during my transition, I originally though I would be fully natural by aug but I'm now thinking I have about another year to go. My sides,edges and back are now all natural but my crown area still has some relaxed/ colored ends =\ I will not be doing another big cut so I'll just be (im)patiently waiting for that section to get long enough to cut. My focus now is on growth rather then 'being natural' =) anyway what's a post without pictures... 19 months in My shrinkage!!!

YES! Love the thickness and smoothness of your roller set!

Can you tell us what products you used? I used to be the queen of roller setting while relaxed but haven't done one since I started transitioning. If I can roller set as a natural I will be overjoyed! I'm 7.5 months in

Mjon912

bebezazueta thanks doll!
I prepoo with grapeseed oil, almond oil,and HairVeda frosting, washed and conditioned with nothing special, and deep conditioned in the shower with honey and Lekair cholesterol plus with a plastic cap on. Added a little (very little) Paul Mitchell super skinny serum, organix coconut milk and organix Shea butter and set, after it was dry I lightly sprayed my whole head with silk elements heat protectant spray w/olive oil and flat ironed
Honestly I've learned that deep conditioning with honey is my best friend as a 'straight haired natural'

Britt

I have fallen in love w/ Aloe Vera Gel... The liquid kind. I sprayed it in my hair as part of the LOC Method. My hair came out super soft, shiny, and wavy.

View attachment 252085

SN: I'm over time finding multiple uses for products I have. My AVG I use as a facial toner, close hair cuticles, and now a hair spritz. That definitely helps the pockets since I'm pregnant now.

I want to straighten my hair but I don't want to ruin my new growth. @Britt and Others. Any advice on straightening? What temp do you use? Do you rollerset first to get from wet to dry?

TamaraShaniece congrats !!!! :hug2:
I'm loving the waves in your pic! What aloe vera are you using?
If I were you, I'd rollerset and then flat iron the roots on 370. I would rollerset from wet to dry. I recently got my hair flat ironed and I have heat damage on the side of my hair. I didn't want to mention it in this thread b/c I was trying to take my mind off it. But yeah, the stylist used the marcel curling iron and that small section of my hair is bone straight right at the front right side of my hair. Like this ____________________. Lesson learned, never use the marcel again. I think the regular ceramic flat iron with regulated temperature is much better and safer. I'm not afraid of heat really, but I know to never have a stylist use the stove again on me. I've had my hair flat ironed a few times through out my transition aside from the marcel mishap each and every time my hair reverted perfectly.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
Britt

I used this organic aloe vera gel from Whole Foods. I'll edit when it get home and take a pic. It's in a glass jar, GMO, preservative, synthetic chemical, dye, color, and fragrant free =D

Britt

@Britt

I used this organic aloe vera gel from Whole Foods. I'll edit when it get home and take a pic. It's in a glass jar, GMO, preservative, synthetic chemical, dye, color, and fragrant free =D

Thank you! When you post it I'll prob buy it :lol:. Since it's in a jar, do you scoop it out and smooth it on your hair?

EnExitStageLeft

Anybody else bored with their hair?

Everytime I get this way I cut....its a pretty unhealthy habit of mine.

Also, Britt AgeinATL DoDo havilland Do any of you have styler recs? I plan to rock a braidout majority of the summer and was going to purchase the uncle funky's daughter, but found out that the ingredients have changed. I was thinking about CJ Pattern Pusha or MopTop Gel. I need something with a bit of hold so my hair will stay defined in the GA humidity.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care

Also, Britt AgeinATL DoDo havilland Do any of you have styler recs? I plan to rock a braidout majority of the summer and was going to purchase the uncle funky's daughter, but found out that the ingredients have changed. I was thinking about CJ Pattern Pusha or MopTop Gel. I need something with a bit of hold so my hair will stay defined in the GA humidity.

EnExitStageLeft

I actually just opened a thread asking people what they were using because I haven't found a gel that I like yet, at all.

When I style my hair in a braid-out I use something with a pomade like consistency or a heavy butter then I make sure to avoid using anything with glycerin in it.

I wish I did know what gel I could use that would not tangle up my hair :nono:.

Let me know if you find anything that works well, especially on that new growth because that is where we are hair sisters :hug2:.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess

I use kinky curly knot today and eco styer Brown or pink. The Brown has a stronger hold. Clear is Strong hold too. But I don't do braidouts so I am not the best person to ask.

I still can't conquer humidity either.

Britt

Anybody else bored with their hair? Everytime I get this way I cut....its a pretty unhealthy habit of mine. Also, Britt AgeinATL DoDo havilland Do any of you have styler recs? I plan to rock a braidout majority of the summer and was going to purchase the uncle funky's daughter, but found out that the ingredients have changed. I was thinking about CJ Pattern Pusha or MopTop Gel. I need something with a bit of hold so my hair will stay defined in the GA humidity.

Total side bar - all this time I thought u were in like Alabama or Mississippi or something lol I guess the 'deep south' had me picturing somewhere else.
To answer your question tho - yes I def do get bored and I'm here for some ideas too. Creativity is not my strong point. If anyone could point to some cute YouTube tutorials or pics that would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

AgeinATL

Also, @Britt @AgeinATL @DoDo @havilland Do any of you have styler recs? I plan to rock a braidout majority of the summer and was going to purchase the uncle funky's daughter, but found out that the ingredients have changed. I was thinking about CJ Pattern Pusha or MopTop Gel. I need something with a bit of hold so my hair will stay defined in the GA humidity.

EnExitStageLeft

For my styler, I have been using (and LOVING) the Camille Rose Aloe Whipped Butter Gel; however, the ingredients have changed and I do not like the new version. Another styler that I may return to is the Bee Mine Curly Butter. Amazing definition and hold. I had no issues when I used it about a year ago. BUT since I have way more NG now (17 months worth), I will have to test it out to see if I still like it. Will definitely keep you posted once I give it another try. If I recall correctly, didn't you really like the Afroveda Whipped Gelly? Have you tried that for a twist/braid out? I heard that it is amazing for braidouts.

Good luck!

Britt

Total side bar - all this time I thought u were in like Alabama or Mississippi or something lol I guess the 'deep south' had me picturing somewhere else. To answer your question tho - yes I def do get bored and I'm here for some ideas too. Creativity is not my strong point. If anyone could point to some cute YouTube tutorials or pics that would be helpful. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

My bad ! I misread your post thinking u were asking abt hair styles. Ohhh for styling I use Camille Rose whipped aloe butter. It's not greasy and keeps my hair soft. That's what I've been using for all my braid outs and twist outs.

When the weather gets warmer and I have to deal with humidity I'm not sure how it will hold up. I'm thinking I might hv to layer it with more of a gel type product perhaps.

EnExitStageLeft

AgeinATL

I actually ordered another 16oz. jar today of the Pur Whipped. Its been my Holy Grail for yearssssssssssssssssssssss smh, I can't believe I never thought to use it.

THANKS CHICA!

DoDo

I'm gonna try out the Pur Whipped like AgeinATL suggested and come back to you. Its my HG edge gel, so i cannot wait to see how it works out as a styler too.

Britt

I have the CR AWBG and its just ok for me. I have the new formulation and while it gets the job done, its not the HG I thought it was going to be :(. Also, whats your braiding pattern? I love the one I use, but that mess takes FARRRRR to long to do.

havilland

The Eco Styler Pink is BOMB.COM! So happy you put me on because the Pur WHipped is a bit costly :yep:. I may try that out too as a back up styler.

EnExitStageLeft

Britt

LOL! I completely understand. I say Deep DEEP south because I'm literally like a hour away from the Florida/GA border.

I live in the south and I live in the southern most tip of GA.....get it?....Deep DEEP South.

AgeinATL

@AgeinATL

I actually ordered another 16oz. jar today of the Pur Whipped. Its been my Holy Grail for yearssssssssssssssssssssss smh, I can't believe I never thought to use it.

THANKS CHICA!

@DoDo

I'm gonna try out the Pur Whipped like @AgeinATL suggested and come back to you. Its my HG edge gel, so i cannot wait to see how it works out as a styler too.

@Britt

I have the CR AWBG and its just ok for me. I have the new formulation and while it gets the job done, its not the HG I thought it was going to be :(. Also, whats your braiding pattern? I love the one I use, but that mess takes FARRRRR to long to do.

@havilland

The Eco Styler Pink is BOMB.COM! So happy you put me on because the Pur WHipped is a bit costly :yep:. I may try that out too as a back up styler.

EnExitStageLeft

You are so welcome! Keep me posted because I might give it a try once I am done with my last jar of CR AWBG.

KaramelKutie803

Welp I'll be a year post relaxer next month and honestly I'm so over transitioning. A part of me doesn't wanna lose my length and to just keep growing it out and another part of me is like just do. I keep my hair in braids/Senegalese twists/sew - ins 90% of the time anyway so why not? I can cut it and continue to protective style. Guess I'll see how I feel once I take this sew-in down.

Honey Bee

I'm dcing tonight, straightening, and doing a good trim. I'll be using this tutorial. I intend for this cut to help my transition (since heat has been such a help). I'm also a little curious as to how my hair will hold up to humidity/ signs of spring. I don't expect to be able to straighten a lot over the summer, but if I can, I'll be happy. Maybe I should try rollersetting again. When I tried before, my relaxed hair was too weak for all that manipulation, but that was years ago. My natural and texlaxed hair might be more amenable. *fingers crossed*

Question. What do we think about flax seed gel? I feel like I remember it containing a good amount of vitamin b5, aka panthenol. My mother made some but I didn't get a chance to try it. I know you have to make it yourself and keep it refrigerated which makes it undesirable for those reasons alone, but if those conditions were met, would 'we' like it?

sweetpea7

25 weeks post

Braidout- i was loooking crazy

I am going to enjoy transitioning in the warmer weather. I haven't had any major issues so far, only 58 weeks to go

Britt

EnExitStageLeft this is how I've been braiding my hair. When I'm fully natural I'll prob braid it where they have the braids kinda coming towards your forward area also, idk.

Attachments

• image-2317153877.jpg
    image-2317153877.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 52
  • image-103883379.jpg
    image-103883379.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 37
  • image-1849361799.jpg
    image-1849361799.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 45