Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Oooh...I realized last night that I can do twist-outs?! I wish someone woulda told me sooner! :lol: I was able to roll all of the relaxed hair while still keep enough length. The hair does look shorter than a braidout, but I find the curl pattern looks more natural and it was a lot faster to both set and dry. I'm excited! *happydance*

My twistout vs braidout (a few days old). I lose some length but the ease of twists over braids are definitely worth it to me :yep:

Attachments

• twistout.jpg
    twistout.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 67
  • braidout.jpg
    braidout.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 68
The Camille Rose aloe butter gel is good so far. It's not a gel or a custard as I thought it would be, it's more of a whipped butter. My braid outs/twist outs are pretty soft and moisturized. I'd think naturals prob use a light gel over it for hold maybe?
Ladies post pics if you're comfy doing so, I find it very helpful to see pics of transitioning hair.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

@Britt Your hair is soo pretty! I doubt I can get my hair into a braidout or twistout while transitioning (ends are so limp!) but I'll have to try at some point

I've been so bad with taking pics but honestly my hair is nothing to write home about, it's just been in boring straight styles, I try not to mess in it too much because it breaks if I look at it :look:

I'll be better at taking pics though, my hair looks crazy when it's wet at this point :lol:

@Britt Your hair is soo pretty! I doubt I can get my hair into a braidout or twistout while transitioning (ends are so limp!) but I'll have to try at some point

I've been so bad with taking pics but honestly my hair is nothing to write home about, it's just been in boring straight styles, I try not to mess in it too much because it breaks if I look at it :look:

I'll be better at taking pics though, my hair looks crazy when it's wet at this point :lol:

sharifeh thank you!!!! Have you tried rolling your ends? I roll up my ends on my sponge rollers to help blend. I'm going to see Rochelle this Sat for a trim. I hope there isn't too much tangling and pulling b/c my hair is not too fond of the that DE express conditioner, heck, my hair is only fond of the conditioners I know work for it lol.. She might be at the sink detangling for a while lol.

@Britt Your hair is soo pretty! I doubt I can get my hair into a braidout or twistout while transitioning (ends are so limp!) but I'll have to try at some point I've been so bad with taking pics but honestly my hair is nothing to write home about, it's just been in boring straight styles, I try not to mess in it too much because it breaks if I look at it :look: I'll be better at taking pics though, my hair looks crazy when it's wet at this point :lol:
sharifeh Not to put Britt on blast but she's helped me out tremendously. My twists out always turned out stiff and rough especially my new growth.

Thanks to Britt, she helped see that my hair which is high porosity cannot handle certain products and I need to go experiment w/ products and do a lil research. It MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE. A lot of moisture products might give me slip in the shower or on wet hair but once it dries, it's horrible. I'm slowly correcting the problem and I've have the best twist outs since then.

Don't give up.... W/ time and patience, you'll have twists out you can post about.

@Britt

Take your own conditioner
EnExitStageLeft this ain't the Dominicans. I could totally see that not flying with this stylist :look:. Only Dominicans seem to not have a problem with that. She's a black stylist that's kinda 'high end' and seems quite content with the products she uses. She's also familiar with the hair forums and blogs (she thinks they're too much and do the most :look: :lol:), and I think if I bring my own stuff she might feel away or something. Idk, I'm just going to hope for the best and suck it up. I'm so used to doing my own hair and doing it in sections and not having issues really with it. But now with all this new growth, I hope she's quite generous with the conditioner and takes her time to detangle me properly. I'm going mainly for the trim.

@sharifeh Not to put @Britt on blast but she's helped me out tremendously. My twists out always turned out stiff and rough especially my new growth.

Thanks to Britt, she helped see that my hair which is high porosity cannot handle certain products and I need to go experiment w/ products and do a lil research. It MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE. A lot of moisture products might give me slip in the shower or on wet hair but once it dries, it's horrible. I'm slowly correcting the problem and I've have the best twist outs since then.

Don't give up.... W/ time and patience, you'll have twists out you can post about.
TamaraShaniece yayyyyyy I'm glad it's working out :woohoo: :hug2: . Products make the world of a difference!! That's why I'm kinda antsy about my hair appointment this weekend. You use products that don't melt in your hair, and you'll have tangled and dry hair.

Britt I like Rochelle but I don't see myself going to her too often , she only flatirons my hair so her assistant does the rest which I hate. She's really good but quite set in her ways. She's been doing hair for soo long! I think you'll be ok. What's your go-to conditioner ? TamaraShaniece
Britt has also helped me a lot so far. She's amazing!! I should solicit her help in braidouts and twistouts because hers look amazing Thanks for the encouragement!

@Britt I like Rochelle but I don't see myself going to her too often , she only flatirons my hair so her assistant does the rest which I hate. She's really good but quite set in her ways. She's been doing hair for soo long! I think you'll be ok. What's your go-to conditioner ? @TamaraShaniece
Britt has also helped me a lot so far. She's amazing!! I should solicit her help in braidouts and twistouts because hers look amazing Thanks for the encouragement!

sharifeh yesss, that's why I can't see her being open to be bringing my own stuff. I've only gone to her once and that was for the DE treatment. I'm hoping to have HER work on my head from start to finish. I really don't want to have the assistant dealing with my 1 year post hair. Idk, maybe I'm thinking about it too much, I just get kinda antsy when I go to the salon. I just really want my ends trimmed (cut actually). Also, this way by the time I chop, it won't be soo much of a 'big chop'. My hair is already shrinking in lengths lol. My braid out in my avatar is longer than my braid outs now.

Thank you for the compliment. I do flat twists or cornrow braid outs with rollers on the end. I do them nightly if I want it to look fresh the following day. Ex, last night I was too tired to re do so I just threw my bonnet on and this morning my hair was completely smooshed and flat so I just pinned my hair up with one bobby pin and applied some edge tamer to my edges.
Ohhhh and find the right products for your braid out. I just bought the Camille Rose so I'm gonna continue to get my $$ worth out of it. Also, if you're going to do braid out decide on how big or small you want your braids to be, that affects the overall look. One braid out I did, I did quite a few cornrows on wet hair and tried this concoction of eco styler mixed with my leave in and some oil in it... and while the braid out looked nice, when I went to comb my hair the following days it was very dry and kinda crunchy. That's when I bought the CR. Perm rods on the ends will give your hair a nice spiral that blends right into the braid/twist. I also don't braid/twist to the very end, that area is rolled.

sharifeh yesss, that's why I can't see her being open to be bringing my own stuff. I've only gone to her once and that was for the DE treatment. I'm hoping to have HER work on my head from start to finish. I really don't want to have the assistant dealing with my 1 year post hair. Idk, maybe I'm thinking about it too much, I just get kinda antsy when I go to the salon. I just really want my ends trimmed (cut actually). Also, this way by the time I chop, it won't be soo much of a 'big chop'. My hair is already shrinking in lengths lol. My braid out in my avatar is longer than my braid outs now.

Thank you for the compliment. I do flat twists or cornrow braid outs with rollers on the end. I do them nightly if I want it to look fresh the following day. Ex, last night I was too tired to re do so I just threw my bonnet on and this morning my hair was completely smooshed and flat so I just pinned my hair up with one bobby pin and applied some edge tamer to my edges.
Ohhhh and find the right products for your braid out. I just bought the Camille Rose so I'm gonna continue to get my $$ worth out of it. Also, if you're going to do braid out decide on how big or small you want your braids to be, that affects the overall look. One braid out I did, I did quite a few cornrows on wet hair and tried this concoction of eco styler mixed with my leave in and some oil in it... and while the braid out looked nice, when I went to comb my hair the following days it was very dry and kinda crunchy. That's when I bought the CR. Perm rods on the ends will give your hair a nice spiral that blends right into the braid/twist. I also don't braid/twist to the very end, that area is rolled.

OK....what is Camille Rose.. is that the brand name?

I can not wait to try some of naptural85 protective styles! I've always wanted a long braid to the side but my hair just doesn't hang long enough even though I'm mbl. I'm going to buy a bunch of that 1$ braiding hair and going to town.
I'll post some pictures tonight or tomorrow of my new growth. I can't really see anything but big poofy hair. I do notice that my new growth is shiny and smooth compared to my "texlaxed" hair.
I really want to cut some of my hair but I'm thinking as more natural hair comes in I'll have more shrinkage and need it to get some hang. Am I paranoid or have any of you noticed the same?

I'd say not to cut the hair, unless it's just a trim/dusting. Or unless you're planning on a short transition.

If you're planning a long transition, you're going to need the length. Not only to stretch the natural hair but to have some wiggle room in the case of breakage. It's also a bit pointless to cut a lot of hair (if long-term transitioning) since retaining length is the goal. Short hair will just weaken the desire to long-term transition, simply because so much length is already gone.

So just access the length of time you want to transition and go from there! :yep:

I'd say not to cut the hair, unless it's just a trim/dusting. Or unless you're planning on a short transition.

If you're planning a long transition, you're going to need the length. Not only to stretch the natural hair but to have some wiggle room in the case of breakage. It's also a bit pointless to cut a lot of hair (if long-term transitioning) since retaining length is the goal. Short hair will just weaken the desire to long-term transition, simply because so much length is already gone.

So just access the length of time you want to transition and go from there! :yep:

That makes sense. I want to go 2 years at least. I know I'll be afraid of the big chop that's why I say at least. My ends are super bone straight from before my HHJ. They split easily and already look bad in braid outs / twist outs because I started texlaxing my hair. I guess I'll just trim/ dust on my regular schedule. Thank you for your response I didn't even think of it that way.

@Britt, Did you manage to stop your breakage (or is that why you're getting a trim)?

Honey Bee My breakage has subsided some. It's still there. I'm getting a trim b/c I don't plan to transition for that much longer. I'm kinda tired of holding on to the ends and I feel like my hair will look and feel better. Also, it's a preparation for when I do cut off the remainder of the ends. I plan to cut the rest of the ends off in May which is not far away at all. Tired of doing braid/twist outs with snaggly ends. If I were to do a full 2 year transition, I'd be cutting my ends as I go along.

I'll be 14 months post on Saturday. The battle against dryness and tangles wages on.
When I think I learned something new about my hair it just goes and confuses me. I feel like I shouldn't have to be dealing with certain issues so far into the transition.

I'm starting to see a lot of long shed hairs (root attached) on the sink. When I inspect the strands, I'm also finding SSK's in the new growth area. At times I see 2 or more knots on a single strand of hair. What should I do differently to prevent the knots?

Well I'm T- shirt drying my hair now before I blow dry. My wash day started off badly because I used Hairveda's Cocosta Shikaikai (sp?) shampoo bar then followed up with Milcreek keratin conditioner since I thought I needed some protein. My hair was soooo tangled to the point where I spent 2 hours trying to detangle it :-( I'm assuming I got protein overload coupled with my ends needing a trim made it worse since it kept tangling and creating knots. I lost some hair in the process. This is one of the worst wash days I've had. (((sigh))) My only saving grace was dc'ing with slippery elm/ marshmallow tea rinse with oil and Hairveda's Stirinillah under my streamer for 40 minutes followed up with an ACV rinse. I'm still looking for a very moisturizing shampoo.

Last edited:
I'm starting to see a lot of long shed hairs (root attached) on the sink. When I inspect the strands, I'm also finding SSK's in the new growth area. At times I see 2 or more knots on a single strand of hair. What should I do differently to prevent the knots?

I get knots no matter what I do. I have m&s my hair to high heaven and still get them smh. Idk what else to do, I hate dealing with them. I believe since my natural hair is tightly coiled it's inevitable for it to happen.

Back