Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Hi ladies!!!! I'm finally getting around to post. I'm 10 months post and I can use some encouragement. I cant seem to find a reggie or hairstyles that last longer than a day. I'm not ready toBc yet but I'm at a loss.

6 months in thus far and considering a weave or fall/detachable wig to cover cornrows for a while. Thing is I'm afraid of breakage of my chemically treated hair because I do wear it out. I'm also going back to few staples, one being Salerm Wheat Germ .. don't know why I ever stopped using it!

Hi ladies!!!! I'm finally getting around to post. I'm 10 months post and I can use some encouragement. I cant seem to find a reggie or hairstyles that last longer than a day. I'm not ready toBc yet but I'm at a loss.

I feel you pain. I wear a ponytail or bun every day. The style lasts one day.....the only style I get to last longer is cornrows under a wig.

I feel you pain. I wear a ponytail or bun every day. The style lasts one day.....the only style I get to last longer is cornrows under a wig.

I feel your frustration I wear my hair in s bun everyday and I want braid outs but it doesn't last. My natural hair takes forever to dry. I don't want to bc then inky start my hair in a bun, that is my fear

sent from my galaxy

by using one of those wrap straps i can get my buns to last for days on end. mine is made out of fabric but they have a breathable mesh version as well.

MAGIC_MW_2017BLA.jpg

I wear high buns and this helps alot!

by using one of those wrap straps i can get my buns to last for days on end. mine is made out of fabric but they have a breathable mesh version as well.

Might have to try this out.

sent from my galaxy

MAGIC_MW_2017BLA.jpg

i must have big head :look:because the velcro always gets caught in my hair and tries to rip out my edges.....last time i tried one of these i had to put olive oil on my hair to get it to glide off :lol:

After a 3 week bun session, I'm back to wiggin it. I'll do this for a couple of weeks, then I may braid it up for beach and pool season. 7 months and counting!

See--I need to stop looking at natural hair cuz I was too close to bc-ing last night and I know I really want to transition another 18-24 months. I want to have enuf hair to have SL twists when I chop and right now I've got about 4-4.5ins of ng and about 5 ins of straight ends. I'm gonna just put it up in flat twists and a bun since the weather forecast is rain for the next few days. Imma buy me some patience.

Well, I am officially both 24 weeks and 6 months post relaxer, so that means I have 30 months left to transition.

A couple of months ago, I posted about not having the thickness everyone was talking about, but I definitely have it now. I have developed my 3 Year Transitioning Plan: Year 1 = bun or updos that hide my ends 100% of the time and solidify my regimen & staple products; Year 2 - wigging it 100% of the time; and Year 3 - a combination of Years 1 & 2 and Senegalese twists.

I wish I started this journey years ago so I could be further along. But it's no need to dwell on that because I can honestly say that I am enjoying the journey so far.

Thanks ladies for sharing your hair experiences because I have learned soooooo much.

Can I get some wig recommendations?I think I bced too early. I can't do anything with my hair at this length.

Trimming a little off tomorrow! 14 months in...no idea when I'll cut. I wish I could be like ladies here who plan their BC but if I plan it I just won't go through with it. Mine is going to be impromptu as heck I already know.

The transition still going very smooth...I'm thinking about keepin' on truckin into 2014, although I promised myself that I wouldn't. :nono: Sigh....transitioner probs.

Trimming a little off tomorrow! 14 months in...no idea when I'll cut. I wish I could be like ladies here who plan their BC but if I plan it I just won't go through with it. Mine is going to be impromptu as heck I already know.

The transition still going very smooth...I'm thinking about keepin' on truckin into 2014, although I promised myself that I wouldn't. :nono: Sigh....transitioner probs.

Lol. Dont worry. I didn't plan my big chop either. Just kinda went with the flow and find products my natural hair likes. I think fo me, if I'd I set a date and didn't have the growth I was expecting, I would be extremely disapointed and probably relax again lol

@Rae81 Have you tried shea or another type of butter instead of gel? Sometimes butters work better for me. I spritz with water lightly, smooth on the butter...then smooth some more :), tie a scarf on, and let it set for 20 min.

caliscurls, What kind of shea butter do you use? I got a phony pony to work with but I don't want to have to put too much gel in my hair & didn't know what kind of shea butter to buy or where to buy it from?

My new growth seems to hate everything. I am 18 weeks post now and the natural ahir hates all of the stuff I use for slicking my hair back for bunning. It hates JAM which used to be magic. It just gets greasy and doesn't stay down. It hates the Talijah Wajid CUrly Curl Cream which only has a light hold anyway. No matter how much I work it in that thing just sits on my hair. It hates Eco Styler - the green one. It makes my hair crunchy crunchy even with oils under/over it. I don't know I may ejust chop at the end of this month so I can figure out what she wants/likes already.

My new growth seems to hate everything. I am 18 weeks post now and the natural ahir hates all of the stuff I use for slicking my hair back for bunning. It hates JAM which used to be magic. It just gets greasy and doesn't stay down. It hates the Talijah Wajid CUrly Curl Cream which only has a light hold anyway. No matter how much I work it in that thing just sits on my hair. It hates Eco Styler - the green one. It makes my hair crunchy crunchy even with oils under/over it. I don't know I may ejust chop at the end of this month so I can figure out what she wants/likes already.

When my hair acts like I need to gently clarify and deep condition. Maybe that will help. When I need to dc and clarify my hair acts totally different after.

I'm over 18 weeks now & currently using JAM right now on my edges as well. It only slicks them down for the first 5 minutes & then turns into shiny bushes on the sides of my head. It does keep them more moisturized & softer than ProStyl which did nothng at all. The green Eco Styler (Olive Oil) holds for 1 minute. I've tried Elasta QP's Glaze (which beat out the JAM by holding for an extra 2 minutes but doesn't stay moisturized) & even my daughter's Smooth Edges (which held for 3 minutes total). I've tried on clean hair, dirty hair, conditioned hair, you name it. I even tried caking some hair grease on top of the gel & underneath (no ma'am-she melted & ran down the sides of my face at work one day)! I haven't tried any of the mentioned to hold my ponytails but to only slick my edges down/back. All of them worked on my relaxed edges previously though & of course my edges are natural now. I'm still trying some different things though (Shea Butter being next on the list). If nothing works, I guess I'll have to walk around with shiny bushy edges until she grows out!! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

When my hair acts like I need to gently clarify and deep condition. Maybe that will help. When I need to dc and clarify my hair acts totally different after.

I thought so too but nope, already clarified and did a deep conditioner. My hair felt better afterward of course but my hair reacted the same to those particular products. It may just be time to find something new. :sad:

I think I am going to transition using weaves/wigs. I've actually never done wigs before but I have had good results using weaves.

I was actually wearing weaves for like a year and a half and went from about neck length to bsl. Then I took my weave out and got a relaxer two weeks later. But the relaxer only relaxed my roots it didn't really relaxed the ends (I would say it's texlaxed maybe) so I think I want to transition now.

Weaves (and I am assuming wigs) will be less time consuming for me in grad school. And I just found some people who do weaves for cheap! I think I'll try to maintain my length for as long as possible. My goal is HL and beyond!

Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting after years of lurking, and I decided to come out to say that I BC'd after transitioning for 2 years. I transitioned mostly in braids and twists. The day I BC'd, I wet my hair and applied ACV to define the straight and kinky pieces. It still wasn't the cleanest cut, as I still had some straight pieces afterwards, but I did ok. Anyway, here are some pics of my braidout afterwards. Ok for a first try :)

Attachments

• image-2240157032.jpg
    image-2240157032.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 101
  • image-2235109707.jpg
    image-2235109707.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 91
  • image-413117687.jpg
    image-413117687.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 85
I thought so too but nope, already clarified and did a deep conditioner. My hair felt better afterward of course but my hair reacted the same to those particular products. It may just be time to find something new. :sad:

Yeah. U gotta get rid of those prods. And take note of the ingredients so you know what you hair doesn't like anymore

Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting after years of lurking, and I decided to come out to say that I BC'd after transitioning for 2 years. I transitioned mostly in braids and twists. The day I BC'd, I wet my hair and applied ACV to define the straight and kinky pieces. It still wasn't the cleanest cut, as I still had some straight pieces afterwards, but I did ok. Anyway, here are some pics of my braidout afterwards. Ok for a first try :)

your hair is so luscious and thick! WOW

Hello everyone!

You're hair looks really nice! You have a lot for two years!

My trim went well! :grin: It was right before my wash, so I sectioned the hair I normally braid (I wash in braids) and cut sort of a la crazy whatever amount I felt like cutting from each section.

Afterward my BF was like "you cut all that?!" so I was unsure of how it would look...but yeah, it looks pretty much the same length. I measured the hair after and I cut 1 to 2 inches.

(I should've fluffled the ends better before the pics but y'all get the gist)

Attachments

• 20130617_150339.jpg
    20130617_150339.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20130617_150421.jpg
    20130617_150421.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 43
37 weeks! I’m BCing this week though. I realized I’m wayyyy too attached to having long hair, and I also ordered some kinky curly hair so I’ll be weaved up until I decide to wear my hair out. After getting blowouts and braids and whatever else, I’m like, why am I holding on to these relaxed ends? They can go.

Back