Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

kittenz

Dayjoy I understand that feeling completely :yep:. My transition seemed to go by quickly (11 months) and I hope the same for you. Enjoy it!!

Trimmed my hair today. My back is almost natural; while my crown and front still has some growing to do. The funny thing is that I didn't cry about cutting the relaxed ends (but that doesn't mean I'm ready for the big chop, lol)!

I'm at 12 weeks post right now. This is around the time I would get my hair relaxed. Looking forward to after the next couple of weeks when I'm completely over that hump.

I'm wearing a braid out at the moment. So far so good.

Shinka

Joining. This will be my first time going natural without a BC. ( 8th attempt though lol). I get frustrated with length, relax, regret it, hair grows, but then either scalp or hair gets mad at the chemicals and/or too much heat lol.

Last BC was March 2011 and I relaxed 20 weeks ago. Between permanent colored ends and under/over processing I haven't retained much, but my hair in growing in thicker/fast from pregnancy.

I am 2 years from 30years old while I have loved my short, sassy looks, I am ready to commit to long hair and natural hair. I hope to BC ( the relaxed ends) for my that birthday.

I am about 6 weeks post. My hair is 3 inches long about all around except nape( 1 inch because of how my hair is cut). I have about maybe 1/2 inch or so of new growth.

My regi: wash every three to four days with hair sectioned. Alternating moisturizing ( optimum or creme of nature green) and diluted clarifying shampoo (VO5 kiwi lime).

DC with Lekair cholesterol with aloe mixed with EVOO- apply it like a relaxer and put mixture directly on scalp. Since pregnant my scalp is really dry. Put on plastic cap for 30 min. Once or twice a month I will do the same DC but with UBH conditioner as a mild protein and sit under hooded dryer. I Rinse with warm & final rinse w: cold water.

Towel wrap hair for about 5 min while I dress. Apply Infusium 23 for damage hair as leave in and Bantu knot and each section. Once all knotted spray African Royale braid spray or UBH dew.

Let air dry until roots are dry but ends still damp. Them I flat twist hair into 5 rows. I leave my hair like that since I am home on bed rest. When I have to go out, I wear a twist out with head band after applying UBH creme conditioner to hairline and nape for smoothing and moisture.

Then at night with a little oil and water on my hands I twist back up into the 5 flat twist and spray.

This will be my style and regimen for at least the next 6-12 months. I hope to progress to curl formers and Bantu knot sets/outs once my hair gets longer.

I am excited :)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Just a vent and a cautionary tale.

I knew better than to BC before I got to a comfortable length but I did it anyway and I'm in a hate-hate relationship with my hair right now.

I've never had hair this short before and it sucks, gargles and swallows. BC'ing was a liberating experience until I put the scissors down and had to actually try to style my hair.

FYI - last time I transitioned until I had enough hair to pull into a puff, so I had a go to style from jump. This time I cut a few inches short of being able to do a puff, so unless I do twists which have a tendency to stand up on my head, I'm a--ed out style wise.

I knew better than to BC before I got to a comfortable length but I did it anyway and I'm in a hate-hate relationship with my hair right now.

I've never had hair this short before and it sucks, gargles and swallows. BC'ing was a liberating experience until I put the scissors down and had to actually try to style my hair.

FYI - last time I transitioned until I had enough hair to pull into a puff, so I had a go to style from jump. This time I cut a few inches short of being able to do a puff, so unless I do twists which have a tendency to stand up on my head, I'm a--ed out style wise.

You can always wig it, weave it or twist it! No worries, love! You have options.

AltheaGarden

I know how you feel. I just did my final BC'd the end of last month after a year transition and though I love my hair now, it's so dang short I'm having a hard time finding a style other than my usual afro (don't get me wrong, I love my afro. I look just like my mom circa 1970s. I just want more options). My hair has been long the majority of my life so this past year has definitely been tricky. I try to look at this opportunity to get creative, enjoy the simplicity of my hair at this current length and see myself in a different life. Don't be frustrated! Hopefully that made sense because I'm starting to ramble now. Also, at this point, I look ridiculous with twists :yep:

I know how you feel. I just did my final BC'd the end of last month after a year transition and though I love my hair now, it's so dang short I'm having a hard time finding a style other than my usual afro (don't get me wrong, I love my afro. I look just like my mom circa 1970s. I just want more options). My hair has been long the majority of my life so this past year has definitely been tricky. I try to look at this opportunity to get creative, enjoy the simplicity of my hair at this current length and see myself in a different life. Don't be frustrated! Hopefully that made sense because I'm starting to ramble now. Also, at this point, I look ridiculous with twists :yep:

How long was your hair after the year of transitioning?

carameldimples

I am sooo feeling you right now on this. I chopped after about a 16 month transition and yea I'm in a like-hate relationship. This length is just so funny looking. I tried to do a twist out and I swear I looked like Florida Evans but I need to lose weight too so that's not helping. I was feeling brave and bold, I just chopped last Friday and wore my hair out on Sunday in an afro which I liked. But I washed and twisted it up for a twist out and I HATED IT!!!!!! I through my wig on and was late to work. I am tired of this dang on wig, but I hate the length of my hair at the same time! I have never worn wigs and weaves prior to transitioning and although they look nice, I have never been a fan...oh well at least someone can relate!

Shinka

Crackers Phinn

Maybe you can dry twist stretched or blow dried hair. Then you can band, braid or flattwist them nightly ( this keeps the twist from shrinking) for a more tame and uniformed look.

I recently watched on Youtube a woman adding on kinky Afro hair to her short sistalocs for length. She added the hair in the middle of the loc instead of the root. May be an option to add weight and length to your hair. ( could do this with mini braid or possible mini twist).

I understand your frustration, it was usually length and limited styling options that caused me to throw in the towel on each one of my natural attempts.

AltheaGarden

How long was your hair after the year of transitioning?

My hair in the back touches the top of my shoulders, my hair at the same level my ears stretches down to the bottom of my neck, and so on. When stretched my hair appears to be the same length, meaning that I have several layers. I have a lot of shrinkage. I hope that makes sense :rolleyes:

Godyssey

Thanks for the words of caution. I was pondering doing a BC before I came to the same realization as you. I'm sure it feels great at first, but I need to be at a good length before I do so.

Your story also teaches me that I also need to be very careful and take care of the more fragile, relaxed, hair on my head for as long as I can. Otherwise, I'll end up in the same boat, having to BC before I'm actually ready.

Shinka

I think I need to leave out the heavier proteins while transitioning? How often do you use them???

My conclusion is based on:

About 1 weeks ago, I did an apogee 2 step treatment and followed with balancing moisturizer( lot of long strands on shirt and sink but there were no bulbs do I concluded it was breakage at demarcation) . Since then I've been doing flat twist outs. Following last shampoo, I used Optimum revitalizing DC with olive oil on scalp with optimum revitalizing conditioner on strands and my hair loved it (left on for about 30 min w a cap).

I am guessing the SC and sealing the moisture ( Infusium 23 and braid spray). My new growth was straight after Bantu knotting to air dry. But during twist outs my damaged over processed/colored treated ends we're crunchy ( last 1/2-3/4 inch). It tangled too :(

Last night, inspired by the DC relaxer method, and to try to get ends moisturizers. I mixed Lekair cholesterol, honey, olive oil and UBH conditioner to dry hair and slept with cap (6 hours). My hair felt strong and loose but no moisturized during rinse so I shampooed with creme of nature and towel press. Detangled with Infusium 23 and braid spray, sealed ends with Vaseline then Bantu knot. I didn't like how my hair felt. It felt strong but not supple. I think the UBH protein is too heavy or I should had followed with an instant conditioner for slip.

My roots were easy to detangle and the relaxed ends. I am waiting for it to airdry so I can flat twist. I may add a creme moisturizer to help counter act the hardness of the protein while retwisting :/ I will do just a moisturizing DC on Thursday or Friday.

I think my natural roots hate protein. Times I was fully natural it flourished just using Lekair, so I may not need the UBH but once every 4-6 ( or 8?) weeks to help strengthen the relaxer ends and prevent them from thinning out too soon.

Apologies for long post...any thoughts?

Last edited:

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
I'm currently 21 weeks post relaxer. I don't think I'm going to do a big chop. I will probably just keep my roots stretched and be a gradual trimmer. I'm only comfortable with "at least" shoulder length hair, so no chopping anytime soon. I'm protective styling so transitioning has been super easy. Currently in a sew-in which I'm not exactly enjoying--its so boring.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
WOW! I'm finding out I have two sets of hair on my head. From the front and sides I can barely tell that I'm almost 14 weeks post, but from the crown on down--BA-BY! I'm going to need to be extremely careful with that part. It has been 30 years and I have NO recollection of my natural hair and even if I did, it very well could have changed in three decades. This is an ADVENTURE! :grin:

NJoy

Here I grow again!

:eek2: Girl, the bolded had me terrified. :blush:

BTW, 47 wks post texlax today.

A856

I am sooo feeling you right now on this. I chopped after about a 16 month transition and yea I'm in a like-hate relationship. This length is just so funny looking. I tried to do a twist out and I swear I looked like Florida Evans but I need to lose weight too so that's not helping. I was feeling brave and bold, I just chopped last Friday and wore my hair out on Sunday in an afro which I liked. But I washed and twisted it up for a twist out and I HATED IT!!!!!! I through my wig on and was late to work. I am tired of this dang on wig, but I hate the length of my hair at the same time! I have never worn wigs and weaves prior to transitioning and although they look nice, I have never been a fan...oh well at least someone can relate!
All of this is my fear!!!

My hair in the back touches the top of my shoulders, my hair at the same level my ears stretches down to the bottom of my neck, and so on. When stretched my hair appears to be the same length, meaning that I have several layers. I have a lot of shrinkage. I hope that makes sense :rolleyes:
You pretty much described my hair textures...the front is between 3c-4a and the back is like 4c almost carpet like:nono:.

I wonder how much longer do I need to grow my hair out until I see my overall hair texture?? Will it all be one texture or mixed??
When I think about it forever being 2-3 textures "naturally" I get the thought to relax.....decisions, decisions.

I'm approx 59wks post.....

Shinka

Whatever I did the other day turned out well. My hair is very soft and my ends feel like butter. Yah for heavy sealing and the DC relaxer method.

I had virtually no shedding when I unraveled my twist. I just flat twisted it back up by dampening my fingers for bed & only saw about a long strand or two.

Last edited:

AltheaGarden

All of this is my fear!!!

You pretty much described my hair textures...the front is between 3c-4a and the back is like 4c almost carpet like:nono:.

I wonder how much longer do I need to grow my hair out until I see my overall hair texture?? Will it all be one texture or mixed??
When I think about it forever being 2-3 textures "naturally" I get the thought to relax.....decisions, decisions.

I'm approx 59wks post.....

Yeah I have at least three textures going on, which for the most part I don't mind, it's just annoying when the hair in the back shrinks more than the top and I have to reshape my fro. If I don't it'll get this kind of off boxy shape instead of being more round. The top of my head is 3something, the curls are a little larger and clump together well. Then towards the middle I'm probably 4a/b, then in at the temples I have little curl definition. Then the back of my head is really random and I have 4a/b/probably c. My curl pattern looks more uniform up to three days after washing.
Hm, we're about the same weeks post except I already BC'd a few weeks ago. If you can see a difference between the texture being 59 weeks post, then you should have a good idea of what your hair will look like after BCing (in terms of texture, not length, of course). Before I cut my hair I could definitely see the difference in textures, which is one of the reasons I went ahead and made the cut.
Personally, I like having more than one texture. I think it looks cool (this outlook didn't happen overnight) and it doesn't take any extra time to care for the back of my head than at the top. Are you just worried about style options or more concerned with aesthetics? It seems as if multiple textures on one head are pretty common.

WriterGirl

Ladies, this humidity is wrecking HAVOC on my hair. My little bun just poofed up something major. :lol:

I can't wait to get my braids so I can just give myself a break for a couple of months. I don't know if I can hold on until January 2013.

I almost snipped my thin ends off last night but then I thought about what Crackers Phinn said about BCing before being a comfortable length and I put the scissors down with a quickness.

At least with my current length (about APL), I can put my hair up on a bun (humid-swole and all) and it's out of sight, out of mind.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
So today marks 14 weeks post. I went for my monthly salon visit and my hair stylist doesn't think I have two different textures on my head. She thinks it grows faster in back and doesn't get as much love as the front. I'd like to believe that, but I don't think so. :nono: I got a "deep condition" (which was something I have RIGHT HERE at home, but that's OK) and a trim. She never cuts too much and it's nice having someone else do this hair sometimes. I'll leave it down for a few days and then it's back to bunning, especially since we're getting premature spring here. :grin:

Oh yeah, I MUST make sure to thoroughly detangle my hair before my next appointment. I don't have 100% confidence in her new assistant. :ohwell:

LadyChe

I'm at 21 months post and the warm weather is begging me to cut these last give inches off...

But I still have no idea what I'm going to do when I cut it. Still don't think it's cute. Le sigh.

LivingDoll

On the 20th, I'll be 10 months post. YAY! :spinning:

Things are going good. I've been making it through with rod sets and heat styling.

I absolutely adore my curls (when I started transitioning, my hair was cut in a short do, so the back is mostly natural already). When I poo, I am still amazed at the coils and curls going on back there. :blush::lick:

The crown and front of my hair has about 2-3 inches of relaxed ends that I'm still holding on to. The natural hair looks mostly bushy, not curly like the back. I wonder if the rest of it will look like the back does when I cut off the relaxed ends?

I haven't checked in here for a while :look: but that's because I don't have anything to add. I've been braided up since January 14th and I'm thinking about taking my braids down the first week of April or after finals in May.

Part of me is excited to take the braids out in April, but the other part is not looking forward to dealing with 2 yrs post, practically natural hair in rainy New England. And having to deal with classes and finals etc. I would LOVE to just cut my hair but I don't think I'm ready. I've never worn my hair short and natural.

On a happier note, I BC'ed the back in January after a HUGE setback and it's scraping APL :yay:

A856

Yeah I have at least three textures going on, which for the most part I don't mind, it's just annoying when the hair in the back shrinks more than the top and I have to reshape my fro. If I don't it'll get this kind of off boxy shape instead of being more round. The top of my head is 3something, the curls are a little larger and clump together well. Then towards the middle I'm probably 4a/b, then in at the temples I have little curl definition. Then the back of my head is really random and I have 4a/b/probably c. My curl pattern looks more uniform up to three days after washing.
Hm, we're about the same weeks post except I already BC'd a few weeks ago. If you can see a difference between the texture being 59 weeks post, then you should have a good idea of what your hair will look like after BCing (in terms of texture, not length, of course). Before I cut my hair I could definitely see the difference in textures, which is one of the reasons I went ahead and made the cut.
Personally, I like having more than one texture. I think it looks cool (this outlook didn't happen overnight) and it doesn't take any extra time to care for the back of my head than at the top. Are you just worried about style options or more concerned with aesthetics? It seems as if multiple textures on one head are pretty common.

YES!!!!! I've never had short hair before. I feel like I can hide behind my hair with a ponytail or bun (if all else fails) but if it's too short, I won't know what to do on bd hair days. I don't wear scarfs out, never wore a wig and I can't do hats :nono: :spinning:

BUT on the flip side of this, when I do my hair every morning (putting it in a ponytail of course :look:) I can see the natural curls then about 2-3inches of straight hair. I say to myself just go on and cut them off, let's just rock short hair for a while and give the ponytails a break, by the time you get tired of the short hair, hopefully my hair will be long enough to put it back in a ponytail...

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Checking in. I'm 47 wks post texlax. I've been saying that I have 5 inches of bonelaxed ends but couldn't tell the difference between my natural and texlaxed hair. Um...I'm pretty sure I can tell now.

I cut 2 inches of scraggly bonelaxed ends already. Judging my hair today, it looks like I have 8 more inches to cut. That said, looks like I'll be transitioning for at least another year, depending on how my ends hold up. Then again, who knows. I may just go ahead and BC at the end of the year just to be done with it.

Godyssey

I thought I made 6 months post on the 7th but I'm not. I went through my hair notes and saw that there was a relaxer in Oct. that I hadn't taken into account. I won't be 6 months post until the end of this month.

I was really wanting to relax today but was able to talk myself off of the ledge. I had to remind myself of why I wanted to go natural in the first place.

Maybe a thread where we list all of the benefits of going natural, would be useful for us to have in case any of us have a "I no longer want to go natural" emergency, lol.

Last edited:

Cruzankink

Today I make 22 weeks post (5 1/2 months). I would have never thought I'd make it this far. I am definately hanging in there. Keep on the good fight ladies!