Transitioning Update!!

MissMarie

***sigh***
It's been 2 years since I had my last relaxer, and I'm still transitioning. I also finally tried out my new Maxiglide! I thought the results were pretty good for a first attempt.

I've added a few pictures to my album. Password is in profile.

Your hair looks beautiful and congrats to you I don't think I could transition that long.

Wow. Two years trasitioning. That is some dedication. Your hair looks great.

How long did it take you to use the Maxiglide with all that hair?

Did you use any oil or heat protector with the maxiglide? Did you use the steam burst?

looks good, i plan on doing a transition for a least two years as well. good to know someone else has accomplished this :)

beautiful hair...:) i plan to transition the EXACT same way you are now....such an inspiration!

What is your regimen?
And how did you work with the two textures?

Right now im 3 months into my transition, but plan to incorporate the C&G technique till I reach my hair goal.

Please inform me about your experience transitioning.

Once again just B-E-A-U-TI-FUL!!! :)

Tene - Thanks! Somewhere around 6-8 months my hair suddenly became very easy to manage, maybe because of the amount of new growth. I wear my hair back a lot, and detangling is pretty quick now so my regimen is fairly simple and easy.
How long have you been transitioning? Looks like you have a LOT of new growth.

Sunnygirl - It took me about 2 hours to Maxiglide my hair. I've flat ironed my hair maybe 6 times in my life, so I've never gotten good at it. The crown of my head was the hardest to get at, but I was kinda afraid to let anyone help me (tenderheaded). I think it would have been easier if I had Maxiglided my hair as soon as it was air dried. and the results would probably have been better.
I used the Fantasia IC Heat Protector and some Elasta QP Silk. I didn't even think to try the steam at the time.

MissMarie said:
It's been 2 years since I had my last relaxer, and I'm still transitioning. I also finally tried out my new Maxiglide! I thought the results were pretty good for a first attempt.

I've added a few pictures to my album. Password is in profile.

You are doing wonderfully on your transition! Congrats! My question for you, is why don't you just cut off the relaxed ends on the bottom? You have grown quite a bit of your natural hair out, and the relaxed ends will continue to break. Why not just get rid of them now, so that it will keep your natural hair continuing to thrive and be healthy?

silvergirl - Thank you. How far are you in to your transition? Your hair in the pics in your siggie looks really pretty.

jaded_faerie - thanks, cool. How long do you plan on transitioning?

I condition wash my hair about every 3-5 days. I work out a bit, so I wash my hair as needed. I'm CWing now with Jason Biotin or Aloe Vera Conditioner. I let it sit for a while, then I detangle using the CON nourishing conditioner (purple bottle) and a shower comb. Every few washes I deep condition with Lustrasilk Cholesterol. After detangling and rinsing I spritz in Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer and sometimes mix in a dab of Suave Humectant Conditioner. Then I pull it back in a bun, or do several braids or bantu knots.

When I shampoo I use CON detangling conditioning shampoo. When I first started I tried everything, now I try not to buy lots of new stuff and just use up what I already have.

MissMarie said:
Tene - Thanks! Somewhere around 6-8 months my hair suddenly became very easy to manage, maybe because of the amount of new growth. I wear my hair back a lot, and detangling is pretty quick now so my regimen is fairly simple and easy.
How long have you been transitioning? Looks like you have a LOT of new growth.

Sunnygirl - It took me about 2 hours to Maxiglide my hair. I've flat ironed my hair maybe 6 times in my life, so I've never gotten good at it. The crown of my head was the hardest to get at, but I was kinda afraid to let anyone help me (tenderheaded). I think it would have been easier if I had Maxiglided my hair as soon as it was air dried. and the results would probably have been better.
I used the Fantasia IC Heat Protector and some Elasta QP Silk. I didn't even think to try the steam at the time.

I've been transitioning for almost 4 months now and I'm debating whether to big chop or not. I might give it a few more months and see. I don't have any problem detangling or anything or the amount of growth. I think I have scab hair and that's the problem. The top and back is nice and soft but my sides are dry and thick and there's two patches in my nape are dry and thick. I did cut some of my nape area so it has helped a lot. I can tell it's scab hair cause it doesn't feel like the rest of my hair or curl like the rest of my hair. Also those areas are damaged from overprocessing, etc.

Last edited:
Tene said:
I've been transitioning for almost 4 months now and I'm debating whether to big chop or not. I might give it a few more months and see. I don't have any problem detangling or anything or the amount of growth. I think I have scab hair and that's the problem. The top and back is nice and soft but my sides are dry and thick and there's two patches in my nape are dry and thick. I did cut some of my nape area so it has helped a lot. I can tell it's scab hair cause it doesn't feel like the rest of my hair or curl like the rest of my hair. Also those areas are damaged from overprocessing, etc.

ajargon - i still have a lot of relaxed hair, right now i'm trying to reach some straight hair goals so i can get them out of my system before i turn to enjoying my fully natural hair
my hair is easy to deal with now, and i'm not noticing any breakage or unusual shedding, so right now i'm just going with the flow, i don't plan on ever relaxing again so i have my whole life to appreciate and enjoy my napps

Tene - i think its best to transition however you feel is best for you personally, you can wait a few months and see if there is a difference in your new growth or just go for it now if you are anxious to have fun with your natural hair
there are natural ladies on this board who have taken many different ways to becoming natural
i thought i had lots of scab hair about a year ago but after c-washing my hair more often, getting a wider comb and playing with condtioners i've found that i don't have those crunchy areas anymore

Your hair looks nice and healthy girlie. You are right to transition according to your judgement. Some people can deal with the two textures while some just feel the need to cut it off.

i cant wait to use my maxiglide for the firs time. Your hair really did good with it!!

MissMarie said:
ajargon - i still have a lot of relaxed hair, right now i'm trying to reach some straight hair goals so i can get them out of my system before i turn to enjoying my fully natural hair
my hair is easy to deal with now, and i'm not noticing any breakage or unusual shedding, so right now i'm just going with the flow, i don't plan on ever relaxing again so i have my whole life to appreciate and enjoy my napps

Tene - i think its best to transition however you feel is best for you personally, you can wait a few months and see if there is a difference in your new growth or just go for it now if you are anxious to have fun with your natural hair
there are natural ladies on this board who have taken many different ways to becoming natural
i thought i had lots of scab hair about a year ago but after c-washing my hair more often, getting a wider comb and playing with condtioners i've found that i don't have those crunchy areas anymore

I notice now after trying some different products my hair is softer and it stays soft. So maybe I just needed to find the right products or my hair just have to get use to not having chemicals in it. I noticed after I had cut those dry, brittle parts off my nape area it has softened up a lot. I switched to some different gels, leave-in and I just tried Elucence conditioner and that stuff has my hair so soft.

Wow! Two years! And here I am driving myself crazy at the prospect of transitioning for the rest of this year. I'm glad I popped into this thread!

Back