Transitioning/ or BC-ing with EXTREME damaged hair. HELP! Newbie here

Analiyah9

Hello, I'm new hair :lol: and I have a question, and a rant. PLEASE help me!!!
When I was in 7th grade, I got my first relaxer and my hair was LONG. I was one of those girls that people always talked about because of my hair. I was known as having the longest hair in my church. BUT within that same year my hair fell off :nono:.

I was hopeful that my hair would grow back, but as soon as it grew some stylist will cut it off (probably jealous or something). I went to another stylist and as my hair was growing again, my hair would break mid-shaft, making it seem as if someone cut a scissor through it, when in reality I think I have trichorrhexis nodosa.

Right now, I'm a freshman in college and my hair STILL isn't long. Its VERY uneven, to the point that it was very difficult and irritating for a friend to braid my hair(It was that uneven). My edges were going bald too, and it felt like the mid-shaft hair damage of my hair was spreading.

Because of this trauma that has been going on I decided to go natural. Thanks to the info on youtube, and the info on these forums (Thank You!) BUT I do not know if I want to BC or transition. My hair is EXTREMELY damaged and uneven, and although I'm leaning toward BC-ing I kinda want to wait it out, and transition because my hair grows FAST. I don't know what to do. PLEASE HELP ME!

Also: Right now I'm in micro-braids, and its been on me for 2 months now. The oils I'm using to moisturize my hair is: CANTU shea butter no drip oil ( which has shea, jojoba, tea tree oils) and 3 Herbs Hemp (which has avocado, jojoba, coconut, rosemary, sweet almond oils, and soy protein.) the only problem is: they both have mineral oil. :perplexed

I was also wondering what shampoos/conditioners , hair products I should use other than these. I was going to buy Mizani shampoos and conditioners, but they are too expensive, I'm also looking into Queen helen cholesterol cremes....PLEASE help!

If you are a fast grower, then go ahead and BC, especially if your hair is as damaged as you say. If you aren't ready for short hair, then don't BC, just keep it braided and moisturized until you have enough new growth to feel comfortable cutting of the relaxed ends. Try the Crown and Glory method for braid care/protective styling. I'd avoid products with mineral oil or petrolatum. Try VO5 or Suave shampoos/conditioners for an inexpensive alternative, and use natural oils like coconut, olive, jojoba, or grapeseed oil (easily purchased at your local wholefoods/organic market or even Walmart.). Also visit the transitioners' support thread for other helpful tips/tricks.

Last edited:
I'm currently transitioning myself, 7 months post-relaxer. Instead of a BC, I would recommend a nice trim or small cut to even out your hair as much as possible because as a transitioner, your hair tangles very easily and require a lot of moisture. A bunch of my hair dreaded while washing and I had to gently pull it out, I lost close to 3" of hair. So if at any time you aren't wearing braids, a weave or wig, please keep in mind that your hair will easily tangle.

As stated, it's probably best if you use the nature oils instead of a store-bought combination, like Cantu. I would recommend the Giovanni shampoo, conditioner and direct leave-in or Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Special Shampoo (I would not recommend the conditioner as it has parabens), followed by Paul Mitchell's Instant Moisture Daily Treatment. Keracare also has a new line out that is specifically catered to naturals, I haven't tried it but its generally a great line. Keracare also have a awesome Hydrating Detangling Shampoo that is a absolute fave of mine. You should be able to get any of the above products from a beauty supply store or pharmacy like Walgreens, CVS or Duane Reade.

Hope this helps! Best wishes.

Last edited:
i agree use natural oils...get 2 or 3 color applicator bottles from sallys (like 1.99) and use one for oil to oil ur scalp and get inbetween the braids, and use one for shampoo and conditioner (dilute both) so that the shampoo can get to your scalp (conditioner if you cowash) and the conditioner can get on your hair without causing major slippage of your braids...also braid your micros in like 4 plaits/braids when washing and that can reduce them slipping too...giovanni 50:50 is my favorite shampoo. its about 7 or 8 bucks but sometimes u can find giovanni shampoos at tj maxx or marshalls for 4.99...aussie moist is my favorite regular conditioner(5.99 for a liter at target, and they have smaller sizes too), and ausse moist 3 minute miracle(mixed with an oil...its about 3.99) and ORS replenishing pak (around 7 at sallys) are my favorite deep conditioners...lustrasilk cholesterol conditioners are good too(when you mixed them with oils) and really suitable 4 a college student budget...its like 3 bucks (i started transitioning as a freshman too, and i know how expensive stuff can get)

Last edited:
:welcome4::newbie:

The other ladies have given great advice.:yep: I agree with MyAngelEyez, try the Crown and Glory method. This is a wonderful method to use when transitioning in braids (I used this same method when I transitioned :grin:). You may want to try using braid spray (for moisture) and Infusium 23 leave in or Redken Extreme Anti-Snap leave in (for protein). Sally's carries generic versions of the 2 protein products and they work just as well as the originals for a better bargain.

How is your diet? Are you taking vitamins?

Just cosigning on the Crown & Glory Technique. As for shampoo if you decide you want to use giovanni 5050 as suggested I have a little over half a bottle thats not doing anything but taking up space if you'd like it. For conditioners I also agree vo5 is a great affordable conditioner, the moisture milks are great and it's the only conditioner I can co wash with without getting build up. I totally think you should transition if you're not comfy with short hair BUT if it grows fast I'd just chop only because you have damaged hair already. I'd say look @ pics of people who have bc'ed early and see if you could picture yourself with it. Obviously everyone's texture is different but picture the length. As for protein infusium 23, aphogee 2 minute, or cantu shea butter leave in is loved by many. For a good leave in I love bottled water in a spray bottle a little conditioner and an oil like coconut, olive, or jojoba.
You'll be back in business in no time based on you being able to keep braids for 2 months. Wish I could lol

Back