Transitioning hair..is this considered damaged hair

fatimablush

I was in the break room today and i heard two women talking about hair.
One was thinking about going natural. She already started the journey.
The other woman said she would never transitioning back to natural because once you do that you are damaging your hair.

As many times as i have transitioned (I am doing it again) I have never heard of this and i have taken such good care of my hair at each time it has always transitioned very well.

Has anyone ever heard this before?

That doesn't make any sense. Hair is constantly growing. Going back and forth between relaxed hair and natural hair won't inherently damage your hair. Maybe she meant something else :drunk:

might have something to do with the breakage that can occur at the line of demarcation...someone not educated in how to care for or treat this area would just think their hair is breaking off because they stopped relaxing...this might lead to the thought-frame that they must keep relaxing or their hair will break off.

might have something to do with the breakage that can occur at the line of demarcation...someone not educated in how to care for or treat this area would just think their hair is breaking off because they stopped relaxing...this might lead to the thought-frame that they must keep relaxing or their hair will break off.

I've heard several people say this back in the day. And I thought it was true. My stylist was forever telling me at 6 weeks, girl its time for that relaxer before your hair starts tangling and breaking! But I'm 6 months post relaxer, and I have had virtually no breakage along demarcation line.

I do remember back years ago when I would go a long time without a relaxer (a long time back then was like 8 or 10 weeks), my hair would break off at the line bc I didn't know what I was doing. Didn't properly moisturize/condition,detangle, etc.

Thanks..

I referred her to this site...as many times as i have went back and forth my hair was never damaged..I just had a lot of shedding at the beginning..after that my hair was ok.

Back