PAGING Hairfantastic and all naturals/transitioner

deborah11

Hairfantastic, it looks like we have the same type/texture hair. have you always been natural or have you transitioned from relaxed to natural hair. I am thinking about transitioning from relaxed to natural as my hair is currently overprocessed s result of a bad relaxer on nov. 8th. i don't want to get a relaxer anytime soon. If you have transitioned in the past, can you tell me how u did it. did you cut your hair off and start from scratch or did you gradually cut your hair off. please explain your transition process to me , assuming that you transitioned. Your hair is beautiful and looks like mine use to look before my hair fiascos this year. thank you so much. ALL OTHER TRANSITIONERS, your responses are also appreciated as i am trying to come up with a routine that will allow me to transition without cutting off all my hair immediately if possible. thanks so much for all your responses.

Hi Deborah,

I transitioned a while ago and DID NOT do a big chop....wasn't brave enough
Back in the begining of 1996 I had a real short bob and my last relaxer and that is when I started growing out my hair.
So I let it grow out with twist outs, braid outs, box braids and a ponytail extension. I used lots of leave in conditioners (mainly regular Pantene conditioner) and curl activator to help minimize the breakage. In the summer of 1998 I chopped off all the relaxed ends (about 3-4 inches) and it was probably just above shoulder length when curly. Hard to say b/c I never straightened it much back then. By Christmas of '99 my hair was maybe the length it is now...Perhaps even a little longer.

I HTH
Valleygirl

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Hairfantastic, it looks like we have the same type/texture hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, you just gave me a whole new name...but I love it!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

No, I haven't been natural all my life. I've only been natural for two years (may 2000), but I was relaxed and chopped my hair off to about an inch and a half.

The reason I chopped it off was because it was too much trouble for me with my hair in two textures.

You don't have to cut your hair at all. I know a friend and she transitioned beautifully buy using Cream of Nature Shampoo and wearing her hair curly by using perm rods. I'm telling you, you couldn't even tell the difference. Another good thing is to try a good conditioner. I tried Dark and Lovely's Cholesteral conditioner and it detangled my hair beautifully. Oh, and use a leave in conditioner.

I also washed my hair every three days and conditioned and you would not believe how fast my hair grew. This really gave my hair a lot of moisture.

This past summer, I also learned about conditioner washes and my hair loved it, it was like having a Jheri Curl. It really helped.

Your routine could go something like this.

Cream of Nature Shampoo (Always choose one that will detangle while you transition, that way you won't get much breakage)

Dark and Lovely Cholestoral Conditioner (You can always find many good conditioners)

Infusium Leave In Conditioner.

I transitioned also. My hair was over processed and was shedding and breaking(people kept asking me if I had a hair cut /images/graemlins/confused.gif ). Anyways intially I just wanted to take a break. Then my hair started feeling really thick in the roots and I wanted to try going natural. I did it by rollersetting(which I still do) and just shampooing, airdrying and then wearing my hair back. I had one major chop(Thanksgiving 2001)of 4 inches to chin length. Followed by 2 inches 2 months later then 2 more 1 inch trims. The key for me was keeping my roots and the relaxed section of my hair as similar as possible in texture and moisturizing the are where the 2 textures meet. I do however feel that when I cut off most(not all) the relaxed part, it helped in minimizing the breakage.

lately i've been thinking about going natural too, but i am a little scared that i won't be able to get my hair as straight.... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif.
to tell you the truth i don't know what to do right now. i would appreciate all of your opinions very much.
and i am glad that this topic got started cause i am thinking more and more about this.
for example (for all the people who are natural): when you blowdry your hair or you roller set it does your hairline come out straight and smooth all the time? i think this is my main concern...
other wise i like wearing my hair sometimes curly/wavy and then straight.
please ladies-------help me out. especially cause my next touch up is this thursday. i would still go to the appointment but i would have her just roller set it and deep condition it and trim it also.
thanks in advance, nay. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi Nay,

I have learned through trial and error to get my hair as straight as if I have a relaxer. The key is "THE PRODUCTS" you use. If you really want it to come out straight, use a straightening balm. I have gone back to using KMS Straightening balm but have decided to use a clarifying shampoo to get rid of the ashy build up because of the cones in the product.

As far as blow drying, I blow dry on cold and use the back of my curling iron to press edges and then use Wanakee's hairline and it lasts for a week.

I don't use the blowdryer at all. I also like Hairfanatic, use KMS staightening balm. It was especially useful when I was transitoning I used alot on my roots to help 'blend' the 2 textures. I don't really worry about my hair line(it's 3/b in that area) because my hair usually covers it. Unless I'm wearing my hair back then I just use a little leave-in and some shea/oil pomade and tie a scarf around my hairline for an hour(or to bed). I also agree it's definitely the products you use. The wetter my hair is( I prefer it dripping and coated with lots of a creamy leave-in)the better wet sets come out.

After having been relaxed since the age of 9, I am a natural too. I had wanted to go natural for 3 years prior to the time that I did ('99). I didn't know what my hair would look like, but as I began to love myself more and know that God had a reason for creating me with my beautifully nappy hair, I knew that going natural was what I wanted to do.

I didn't "transition", I didn't have the patience or know how. I got my last relaxer in May of 1999. I went out and bought "Good Hair" by Lonnice Brittenum Bonner and practically memorized the book! /images/graemlins/grin.gif One day one of my sorors came to pick me up with one of her girlfriends who had cut her hair off to an inch. Jealousy was not even the word! *laugh* She looked great! I went to the barbershop 2 days later and asked the barber to take my relaxed ends off. I came back with a cute little 1 inch fro. I got so many compliments. Actually, I get more compliments now than I did before going natural. I wear a shake-and-go and so many people ask me whether I twisted my hair or whether I have chemicals in it. BTW I am chemical-free except some pesky colored ends!

As far as pressing, I go have it done (by my cousin. Can you say DISCOUNT!) maybe 2 or 3 times a year. When I get it done people ask me whether I have gotten a relaxer. My dad asked me whether I was wearing a wig! I don't do it too often because I prefer to wear my hair curly. If you ladies, need anymore info. that you could not possibly have gotten from this incredibly long post, lemme know! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Back