Transitioning Challenge

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Hey! I'm 4 months in this transition and I'm leaning towards a year transition. I currently wear my hair in a flat twist bun. I'm learning so much this transition! I will be attempting to finally learning how to braid. :rolleyes: I also will be using a different technique for my hair in winter. No more wash n gos until Spring unless we have a warm winter. Not likely in Long Island, NY.:rolleyes::nono:

MizzBrown

As yalls hair gets longer and longer, how do you fight the urge NOT to cut it?

I want to transition, but my hair keeps creeping down my back and the thought of cutting it off when I could be at BSL in a few just blows my mind...Cause I've NEVER had BSL hair!

I already found a braider. I'm gonna be in braids for the fall/winter and when I take them out, I have to make an assessment on my hair.

Aggie

I want to transition, but my hair keeps creeping down my back and the thought of cutting it off when I could be at BSL in a few just blows my mind...Cause I've NEVER had BSL hair!

I already found a braider. I'm gonna be in braids for the fall/winter and when I take them out, I have to make an assessment on my hair.

I know you're going to think I'm weird Mizz B but I actually grew out my hair to BSL just to see if I can actually get there before transitioning. And now that I know I can achieve it straight relaxed, I know that I can again with healthier thicker ends. So I trimmed my hair all the way to between neck and shoulder length over the course of a few months.

I am texlaxing my hair in about 7 months to a year - haven't decided which yet, but I do know that I want at least 6-8 inches of natural hair to texlax before I do, then I'll completely trim away the straight relaxed ends.

Last edited:

Shay72

Natural, 4A

I don't want short natural hair. My shrinkage is AMAZING with this texlaxed hair so when natural I'm sure it will be even worse. That's what keeps me from cutting.

MizzBrown

I know you're going to think I'm weird Mizz B but I actually grew out my hair to BSL just to see if I can actually get there before transitioning. And now that I know I can achieve it straight relaxed, I know that I can again with healthier thicker ends. So I trimmed my hair all the way to between neck and shoulder length over the course of a few months.

I am texlaxing my hair in about 7 months to a year - haven't decided which yet, but I do know that I want at least 6-8 inches of natural hair to texlax before I do, then I'll completely trim away the straight relaxed ends.

I don't want short natural hair. My shrinkage is AMAZING with this texlaxed hair so when natural I'm sure it will be even worse. That's what keeps me from cutting.

Well good, I dont feel so bad. Because I can't fathom cutting a foot of hair off my head to go natural.:nono:

I just can't do it. And I dont know if I can be one of those long term transitioners either.

I think I'm gonna be like Aggie and just wait til I can achieve my goal and then once I realize my hair CAN retain, then I wont feel so bad chopping it all off.

In the meantime, I'm gonna continue to super stretch my relaxers. I just can't chop off all this hair..:nono: Worked too damn hard to get it past my neck.

Anew

Count me in too!

Last relaxer: 7/31/09

Transition period: When my natural hair is the length of my hair now or whenever I get the urge to chop

Transitioning styles: Braid outs (sylver style, lol) two strand twists with extensions (maybe) half wigs if I feel like it, buns and my Rosa and variations of it (check avi)

natalie20121

I'd like to join! My last relaxer was June 6, 2009. I don't plan on doing the BC EVER! Lol! I will just trim slowly as my hair gets longer and longer. Maybe when my new growth is the length it is now then I will cut. I will be doing a BKT next month so hopefully that will help with the transition. this has been hard so far. I'm not good with the protective styles. Just been bunning. I blowed dryed and flat ironed with my FHI last week because my new growth is that bad. I don't know what else to do. Should I blow dry and then do braid outs and twist outs or should I avoid heat all together??? Need help asap. Thanks ladies! :)

morehairplease

This is my plan,too. I plan on having the braids in for 3 months at a time and flatironing/trimming in between the time it takes me to get them installed again.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I'd like to join! My last relaxer was June 6, 2009. I don't plan on doing the BC EVER! Lol! I will just trim slowly as my hair gets longer and longer. Maybe when my new growth is the length it is now then I will cut. I will be doing a BKT next month so hopefully that will help with the transition. this has been hard so far. I'm not good with the protective styles. Just been bunning. I blowed dryed and flat ironed with my FHI last week because my new growth is that bad. I don't know what else to do. Should I blow dry and then do braid outs and twist outs or should I avoid heat all together??? Need help asap. Thanks ladies! :)

I say the choice to use heat or not is a personal choice. I airdry using the scarf method. That gets my new growth to lay down. DCs, cowashing, and steam I believe contributes to this also. I also use Qhemet's Honey Hydrating Balm to help.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
I'm joining too.

Last relaxer: 3/05/09

Transition period: When my hair gets to the length that I can pull it back into a decent size pony or puff. I had planned to BC in Dec, but after doing a test cut in the crown (very small section) I thought otherwise. The length is not nearly where I want it to be. So I'll transition until I'm ready.

Transitioning styles:Lately I've been pulling back in a pony, puff, head band, doing bantu knot outs, twist outs. Plan to keep it up out the way so I won't be pulling in it all the time. I may also try gettting some twists for the winter.
Check my fotki for my current styles this month so far.

http://public.fotki.com/stephelise/

Last edited:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Natalie the scarf method isn't that complicated. Pull your hair back into a bun, ponytail, whatever while your hair is wet and tie on a scarf. I usually leave it on for an hour or so then take the scarf off and my edges are smooth. You can also use this method if you hair is completely dry. I suggest using something to lay down the edges such as the balm I mentioned earlier tie on the scarf and leave it on for maybe 10-15 minutes. When you take off the scarf you should be good to go.

Also that is the balm I use. Others get the same effect with cheaper options such as ecostyler gel or aloe vera gel.

ericarussell

i'm in too! =)

Last relaxer: 2/12/09

Transition period: I was thinking maybe 1/1/10 but I'm not too sure now. I guess it all depends on how much growth I have by that date.

Transitioning styles: Before my mini chop i wore a bun everyday. now its a ponytail or a messy half bun thingy..lol.

Aggie

Natalie the scarf method isn't that complicated. Pull your hair back into a bun, ponytail, whatever while your hair is wet and tie on a scarf. I usually leave it on for an hour or so then take the scarf off and my edges are smooth. You can also use this method if you hair is completely dry. I suggest using something to lay down the edges such as the balm I mentioned earlier tie on the scarf and leave it on for maybe 10-15 minutes. When you take off the scarf you should be good to go.

Also that is the balm I use. Others get the same effect with cheaper options such as ecostyler gel or aloe vera gel.

Thanks Shay. Now would that be a satin scarf or any scarf will do?

BotanyGrl

I'm already a member of 3 of the posts you listed (Curlmeleons, Long Term stretch and Transitioner's support thread) but the more threads the merrier, I love as much support as possible, as a transitioner.

Me too. I join them all for the support... I need it :yep:

First Goal - 1 Year (September 26, 2009)
Second Goal - 2 Years (September 26, 2010)
Ultimate Goal - 3 Years (September 26, 2011)

I'm in for the long haul.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Okay there have been two bcs maybe three in the past couple of days. How is everyone doing? I'm doing pretty good. I'm getting ready to switch over to my fall routine. I will reevaluate in late December because I will be 6 months post come January. I'm also trying products out.

MummysGirl

I'm doing good... I'll be 39 weeks this weekend, yay I got to 9 months :)
This means I have 9 months of my transition left.

A friend of mine who last relaxed about 3 weeks after me is BC'ing right now, I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of her hair. I'm still sticking to my plan, I know how much hair I'd like to have when I'm all natural, and I don't have it yet.

Congrats to the recent BC'ers :)

Shay72

Natural, 4A
MummysGirl--Congrats! I know you are excited.

Next week I will be 3 months post. Things have been uneventful so far *knocks on wood*.

makeupgirl

I"m in. I haven't had a relaxer since June 3, 2009. Too many bad experiences with Stylists I'm ready for my natural curls to come back out so that's why I'm transitioning plus, I would love to grow my hair healthy and past my shoulders for a change. I'm definitely in. Good luck ladies.

Goals: Lord Willing

I'm doing long-term transitioning

Full shoulder length: Jan 2010
APL: April 2010
June 2010: 1 year into transitioning
BSL: July/August 2010
Possible BC if natural hair is at shoulder length: Oct/Nov 2010

KBA

I'm in on this challenge, I just started my journey to natural hair. My mom gave me a relaxer at age 7, so I've never seen my natural texture except between touch ups. I usually stretch 10-12 wks right now.

Starting Length: APL
Sept 16: 2 inch chop to get started
My goal: 1 year transition
Transition Styles: Roller Sets, French Braids, Wigs (My primary style), Rod Sets.
End Length Goal: Chin Length Natural, Stretch to shoulder. My hair grows fast anyways.

Look forward to having some support on this board as I get started!!

Honey Bee

I'm in too!

I don't know my texture, even though I've BC'd twice before, I guess I'd say 4 a/b. I was almost APL this spring, but it was raggedy, so I got a trim back to full shoulder. Then, it grew out again, to almost APL, and it still was looking raggedy. It was at that point that I decided to pony up the $6.50 to get serious here, and I discovered that I was probably over-moisturizing (thank you, wen), so I ended up trimming back to SL, again.

I'm tired of the rollercoaster. I got my regimen together (co-wash 2x/wk with some kind of protein, followed by some kind of heavy moisture + wen), started ayurveda, and am generally feeling hopeful. So, of course, being me, instead of being happy, I decided to set a new hair goal: grow to BSL while transitioning to texlaxed, with mini-chops. I'm not going natural because, keeping it really real, I like the option of easy straight hair, if and when I want it. OTOH, I'm realizing that while I like the option, I end up doing braidouts most of the time (cuz I'm lazy :lachen:), in which case there's no need to perm my hair to death.

So, that's it. I have about 6 wks of newgrowth (.5-.75"), 1-1.25" of texlaxed hair, and the rest is permed.

Since I know we love 'em, here's some pictures:
1. August, pre 2nd trim (raggedy ends :nono:)
2. September, post trim (it's even, just messy, note the non-raggedy ends and not that unsightly blemish, it's gone now)
3. How my roots were looking a week ago (5 wks post first/last texlax)

Attachments

• DSC00083.jpg
    DSC00083.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00092.jpg
    DSC00092.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00104.jpg
    DSC00104.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 9

Aggie

I am now 35 weeks post and have 53 more weeks to go. Wow, this stretch/transition just keeps getting longer and longer for me. We'll see if this is not just wishful thinking in the next 4 months or so.

Platinum

22 weeks post!!:grin: I need to take my braids out soon but i havent decided on what I plan to do to my hair after that.:ohwell:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I'm a little over 3 months post. I have implemented some things into my routine that will really help as time goes on. Thanks to the ladies in the "Use One, Buy One Challenge" :yep:. Obviously we talk about more than the challenge :). One simple thing that has made a huge difference is plaiting my hair up at night. I just put in 4 plaits and I am good to know. Who knew, right? It has made detangling a lot easier. I have to remember that one of things they say helps when transitioning is to treat your hair as if it is natural although you are not yet.

MummysGirl--How many times a week do you do your hair?

ladysaraii

I'm 18 weeks post and its been going well. Although I still feel like I dont have near enough new growth for 18 weeks. In some areas, I dont have any. I'm thinking about trying OCT to see if that might jumps start a change.

Shay - plaiting is a great method, I try to do that or 2 French braids, but it never fails that one of my braids unravels at the end. :(