Transitioning at a salon?

BklynHeart

I tried to do a search but it didn't come up. Has anyone succesfully transitioned with a salon's help? I'm getting tired of braids and would like to get my hair flat ironed from time to time or just have someone else handle the two textures.

I can't say for anyone else. But my mom has her own salon and she's going to help me through the transitioning phase. She'll be doing my hair once a week to keep me from messing with it and doing something to it.

My stylist has done this with a few clients. They came to her once a week for a wash deep condition and rollerset or flat iron. They are fully natural now and have beautiful shoulder-collarbone length hair.

When I was going to my stylist, I literally watched her transition this young girl's hair (15 years old). She did a good job and now that she's naturally it was a MONSTER drying and straightening her hair. It stayed bra strap length the whole time... little to no breakage.

I have successfully helped a few clients with their transitions. Try to find someone who is familiar with and supportive of the process.

oh i most definitely did!! thats why i became natural. although i texlaxed last week after being natural for about 6yrs. the stylist i went to encouraged me to stop relaxing.

I tried to do a search but it didn't come up. Has anyone succesfully transitioned with a salon's help? I'm getting tired of braids and would like to get my hair flat ironed from time to time or just have someone else handle the two textures.

I have done this...I had recently had a virgin perm (by a stylist who didn't know how to press)anyway I met another stylist who told me she could help me transition... I would go every week or two and she would blow dry and flat iron the NG....she was AWESOME with that flat iron 75% of her clients had bra strap and longer natural)...I can't remember how long it took..she told me I would probably have a lot of shedding but it never happened...Thank God....she would just clip the ends every so often .. before I knew it I was all natural:yep::yep:

When I was going to my stylist, I literally watched her transition this young girl's hair (15 years old). She did a good job and now that she's naturally it was a MONSTER drying and straightening her hair. It stayed bra strap length the whole time... little to no breakage.
I have successfully helped a few clients with their transitions. Try to find someone who is familiar with and supportive of the process.
oh i most definitely did!! thats why i became natural. although i texlaxed last week after being natural for about 6yrs. the stylist i went to encouraged me to stop relaxing.

Does ones hair type have a lot to do with whether they can use this method or not? I guess I would assume a type 2 or 3a/3b/3c hair type would have a much easier time transitioning this way than say a 4a/4b/4c hair type. Please let me know!

I'm a 4a and I'm transitioning with the help of my stylist at times. I probably go to the salon once a month for a rollerset and to have my roots flat ironed. In between the salon I have been doing braidouts. I have not had too much trouble transitioning. If I do notice breakage I have had success using Motions CPR conditioner. HTH...

Does ones hair type have a lot to do with whether they can use this method or not? I guess I would assume a type 2 or 3a/3b/3c hair type would have a much easier time transitioning this way than say a 4a/4b/4c hair type. Please let me know!

could be but and i would imagine that that MIGHT have a lot to do with the ease and keeping good health of the hair since the texture could be dramatically different than the relaxed hair. i'm like a 3c/b
you have to poll that one:yep:

Good question Cocoberry!! I'm like a 4H and wonder if transitioning would help or hinder my efforts. Balisi, do you think it would be ok for me to keep growing it out or cut the relaxed hair off? My last relaxer was in January.

Sorry it took so long. The teen that transitioned in the salon I was going to had to be 4a or b. We had the same appointment days so I saw her hair a lot. The reason I say it was a monster blow drying and styling her hair was because her hair went from fine (but unhealthy) with the relaxer to thick!

It was so gorgeous when she was complete. She would come in with two ponytails (from basketball practice) and I swear you could double dutch with those things (they looked like jump ropes).

I'm 4a and Balisi helped me transition for 8 months before I decided it was time to BC. She mostly did straw sets which kept the heat out of my hair. She also did a set of tree braids. Whenever I tried to do my own hair, it was truly a fight with the 2 textures.

Balisi was wonderful during my transition and she didn't allow me to BC before she felt I was 100% ready for it. I was thankful for that because there were many times I told her I was ready but in hindsight I realized that I was really just frustrated with handling my own hair.

Thanks Imjenk67, thanks pmichael!! Now, I have to find a spot in NY that will handle this...:grin:

ANYBODY KNOW OF A SPOT???!!

I am, my last relaxer was in January and my natural hair is no longer wanting to hide. I get it pressed no more than two times a month, with NO breakage or heat damage. I'm now starting to get flexi rods to give my hair a break from any heat. I love my stylist, she was once a transitioner and seems to know exactly how to handle my hair.

If your in the DC/MD area, try Regis Salon at PG mall, My stylist is Dana.

Good question Cocoberry!! I'm like a 4H and wonder if transitioning would help or hinder my efforts. Balisi, do you think it would be ok for me to keep growing it out or cut the relaxed hair off? My last relaxer was in January.

Wow, if you really are 4b/4c! I need to get some tips from you on how you have kept breakage at bay!

I'm 4a and Balisi helped me transition for 8 months before I decided it was time to BC. She mostly did straw sets which kept the heat out of my hair. She also did a set of tree braids. Whenever I tried to do my own hair, it was truly a fight with the 2 textures.

Balisi was wonderful during my transition and she didn't allow me to BC before she felt I was 100% ready for it. I was thankful for that because there were many times I told her I was ready but in hindsight I realized that I was really just frustrated with handling my own hair.

Wow, Balisi. I need to fly to Atlanta and let you keep my hair! How often did she do your hair? Weekly? Monthly?

It's definitely feasible. I transitioned with the help of a salon. I never did a BC and my hair pretty much stayed the same length for the 2 years it took for me to go completely natural. I would get it pressed every 2 weeks. It also did not hurt that my beautician only relaxed her own hair twice a year. She knew how to handle the 2 different "hairs" on my head.

Back