Transitioning and Breakage

.:Eden:.

I recently decided to transition, and my last relaxer was 2 months ago. Since then I have washed my hair every week, deep conditioned afterwards, and put infusium 23, shea butter, and coconut oil on my hair while I style. I started wearing straw sets, but have since switched to two strand twist bantu knot outs. I detangle and redo the knots in the middle of the week (using water shea butter and coconut oil), and every time I go to wash or redo a style soooo much hair is breaking off :nono:. I know it's not shedding, because there are no white bulbs. I shampoo and condition with Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo and Conditioner.

Can someone please give me feedback on what might be happening or what I should do???

Eisani

Is your conditioner moisturizing or protein? It sounds like you need a bit more protein in your regimen besides the Infusium. Also, there's going to be some breakage with transitioning hair, mainly due to the difference in textures, or the line of demarcation. I say step up your protein, but also make sure your demarcation line is well moisturized and babied. When applying conditioner start at the line of demarcation and work to the ends, then work it from the root down. HTH!

ETA: shea butter and coconut oil also may not be sufficient for moisture. What else are you using to moisturize?

Last edited:

.:Eden:.

That's all I've been using for moisture. I'm going to the store to buy vegetable glycerin and Elasta QP Mango Butter. I think I might change my shampoo and conditioner to Giovanni's Silk and Smooth something or another.

Thank you for the advice

janaq2003

this happened to me last spring when I tried to transition. Infusium was a complete no-no for my hair and caused breakage/setback. I can't mess with it because of the protein.