Transitioners- How Did The Texture/appearance Of Your New Growth Compare To Your Fully Natural Hair?

CluelessJL

Well...the title pretty much says it all! I'm just wondering if new growth is a good indicator of texture, or if it's too weighed down or something by the relaxed length? (I might be talking rubbish :giggle:)

I've attached a picture of my hair at the moment - I have 16 weeks of new growth and another 17 weeks of very under processed hair from my last relaxer.

Attachments

• 20151214_181151.jpg
    20151214_181151.jpg
    971.6 KB · Views: 72

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Newgrowth (especially less than 6months post) is too short and stretched to be a true indicator of curl pattern, but I do think based on your pictures, its safe to say you'll have a visible curl pattern, 4a or looser. No knowing for sure until you BC.

As far as texture goes, I could tell which sections of my newgrowth were silky vs. cottony/wiry. But I couldn't tell cottony vs. wiry until I big chopped.

To make a long story short, you won't KNOW anything until you big chop, but the longer you transition the better you'll be able to make a good guess.

AgeinATL

I transitioned for 27 months and I didn't see my true texture until I BCed. My relaxed/texlaxed ends definitely weighed my hair down so my NG appeared more curly/wavy when in actuality my fully natural hair is curly/coily. My hair literally sprung up (picture a spring that has been released) the minute I chopped off the relaxed hair.

movingforward

Moving forward and onward
I transitioned for 14 months. Hands down my relaxed ends elongated my curls. When I cut those relaxed ends off......WOW, my hair SHRUNK!!

I'm going to texlax next week to loosen up the curls a bit.

Guinan

Re-Branding
My curls are ALOT tighter natural than when I was transitioning. When I was transitioning I swore my curls were like a 3b/3c. But nope, lol. When I cut off my relaxed ends and my hair was thoroughly moisturized, I was able to get a true depiction of my curls; which are 4a/b.

I would also confuse wet hair compared to dry hair. When my hair is wet; especially w/ product it can appear to be in the 3's. But once it's dry it is DEF in the 4's.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Weighed down but I could tell I was 4A. It was wavy/coily while transitioning. Once I bc'd it's tightly coiled.Like a pen spring.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Great thread. I'm 18 months post right now and my natural hair is appearing kinky, coily, 4 something even with relaxed ends. I'm afraid what may be if I continued down this journey and actually go natural.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
It really didn't change. I BC'd so it was a different experience for me. The hair that was new growth, is still the hair all over my head right now. I don't notice a difference.