Transistion Buddies

dicapr

I have noticed that alot of ladies have decided to transistion in the last few weeks. Anybody intereted in having a buddy system to keep each other encouraged? Maybe week could do it by how many weeks post we are? I am currently 13 weeks post and plan on chopping the week between Christmas and New Year 07. Anybody else?

hey dicpr....

sounds cool to me - could use a buddy!

i'm about 32 weeks post cfc - give or take a week or 2. the alopecia was my main reason on transitioning ;)

i do not intend on big chopping at - just taking some snips here and there until the relaxers all gone.

transitioning really hasn't been as bad as i'd thought probably because i never relaxed bone straight more like 70-75% processed.

have about 6 inches of new growth so far.

Last edited:
I'm interested in getting a buddy- I'm 9 weeks post. It's going okay but I can't get my hair to retain moisture. (I am transitioning slowly I don't think I could handle the BC)

I'm in!

I'm type 4A-B, 8 mos. (about 34 weeks) post relaxer, and my hair is shoulder length in the back and shorter in the front.

I've been snipping my ends every few months and have no plans to BC just yet. I'm doing the C&G method by wearing my hair in twist-outs and buns/puffs when I'm not in braids. I'll be going back to braids in a couple of weeks. I do a conditioner wash every two or three days and deep condition once a week. I'm still experimenting with products to see what works best with my new texture but I'm slowing getting the hang of it.

I'm in!!

I am 6 weeks post relaxer and a PJ already. I'm TRYING to stick to the Nexxus product line. (my new love) My current style is silky twists.
Right now the transition has been smooth and I am enjoying seeing my new growth. I can't till it stops being so shy and introduces itself to the world.:lol:

Count me in!! I am about 12 weeks post-relaxer, just yesterday I was thinking about relaxing again, but didn't do it! I need some real encouragement!!

Count me in for now:look: I have stretched for over 20 weeks, I stopped counting but I am not sure if I can keep it up. I am worried that i won't look good natural, as my friends have stated. I def need the support right now because Mizani is calling my name:eek:
I really need haitrstyle options because my hair is starting to look a mess:lol:

I'm in! My last relaxer was about 12 weeks ago. I also do not plan to BC; I will just gradually trim off the relaxed ends.

JewelleNY said:
Count me in for now:look: I have stretched for over 20 weeks, I stopped counting but I am not sure if I can keep it up. I am worried that i won't look good natural, as my friends have stated. I def need the support right now because Mizani is calling my name:eek:
I really need haitrstyle options because my hair is starting to look a mess:lol:
guuuuuurl....

braidouts and/or twistouts. wash/condish/deep condish as usual, use shea butter or <insert your choice oils here>, braid your hair in maybe 6 plaits (you can either do it wet or damp) - let it dry naturally.

if you've got some straight ends from the relaxer that just won't curl, then take the very end of your braid (like the last 1/2 inch or so), add a little extra shea butter and bend it towards your face - secure with a small pony tail holder or small rubberband. when you're ready to wear your 'do, the ends will just curl in instead of stick straight down. also, it's better than wearing those hard little curlers on the ends of your braids while trying to sleep ;)

now at the beginning of the transition i was doing flat-twists and loose twists but ran into a bit of a problem with detangling those suckas when it was wash time. Other than that, these are one of my fav styles!!! BIG bonus side is after you've worn those twists to death, you can unravel and sport a really really wavy twistout for days and days and days.

whether braid or twistouts, if the waves don't hold as long as you'd like, try using some LottaBody (or your fav) setting lotion while braiding.

can ya hear me say LIFESAVER and, it's also a beautiful style.

I'm in.

I'm exactly 8 weeks post today. I'm mosty 4b with a few 4a strands in certain areas. All I do is co wash, moisturize and tie my hair up daily. I haven't set a BC date, but I doubt I will do a long transition because my hair is already short.

LynnieB said:
guuuuuurl....

braidouts and/or twistouts. wash/condish/deep condish as usual, use shea butter or <insert your choice oils here>, braid your hair in maybe 6 plaits (you can either do it wet or damp) - let it dry naturally.

if you've got some straight ends from the relaxer that just won't curl, then take the very end of your braid (like the last 1/2 inch or so), add a little extra shea butter and bend it towards your face - secure with a small pony tail holder or small rubberband. when you're ready to wear your 'do, the ends will just curl in instead of stick straight down. also, it's better than wearing those hard little curlers on the ends of your braids while trying to sleep ;)

now at the beginning of the transition i was doing flat-twists and loose twists but ran into a bit of a problem with detangling those suckas when it was wash time. Other than that, these are one of my fav styles!!! BIG bonus side is after you've worn those twists to death, you can unravel and sport a really really wavy twistout for days and days and days.

whether braid or twistouts, if the waves don't hold as long as you'd like, try using some LottaBody (or your fav) setting lotion while braiding.

can ya hear me say LIFESAVER and, it's also a beautiful style.

Thanks so much for the tips:) i am going to try a braidout next.

I want a buddy too! I am 46 weeks into my transition (I can't believe I'm almost at a year). Does anyone that is close to this time and willing to go another year before the BC want to be my buddy???

Hi Ladies!

Count me in! I am about 9 weeks post relaxer and loving it. I'll be wearing weaves while my hair is braided down every 4-6 weeks. I could use a buddy and any tips you'd like to offer! Thanks.

t9

NewYorkgyrl said:
I want a buddy too! I am 46 weeks into my transition (I can't believe I'm almost at a year). Does anyone that is close to this time and willing to go another year before the BC want to be my buddy???

Hey, NYG! I'm about 10 weeks behind you but I'm willing to go another year before the BC. Besides, We're the same hair type and about the same length so I'd love to buddy up with ya.

Robin41 said:
Hey, NYG! I'm about 10 weeks behind you but I'm willing to go another year before the BC. Besides, We're the same hair type and about the same length so I'd love to buddy up with ya.

Sounds good to me!

I'd like to get a buddy:) ! I'm 12 weeks post CFC, and I really don't know when I will BC, if I evr BC. Right now, I'm trimmming a little off of the ends whenever I feel like it or if my ends feel a little rough. I think it will be at least a year before I do any type of major chopping, but we'll see!

I wanna buddy. I told Determined that we could support each other the other day. I am 16 weeks post. I plan to BC when I can do a nice afro puff. I have NO idea when that will be. I'm not certain of my hair type. But I have lots of waves and some spiral curls.

walkerca said:
I'd like to get a buddy:) ! I'm 12 weeks post CFC, and I really don't know when I will BC, if I evr BC. Right now, I'm trimmming a little off of the ends whenever I feel like it or if my ends feel a little rough. I think it will be at least a year before I do any type of major chopping, but we'll see!

We are about about the same amount of weeks post-I'm 13. I'll buddy with you. Any advice on getting the new growth to lay down! I think I've got alot of 4a in the front and those coils are starting to pop through the relaxed hair. Any suggestions on how to make them lay flat?

Im 49 weeks post *yess more than a year*** I plan to BC in 9 months when I have enough to get a style cut. Anyone want a buddy like me?

I believe Im 4a mostly....my hair does what it wants like so1913 says...:) My length is BSL when pressed now.

I'm 8 weeks post and I'm hoping to long transition. I give myself at least 6 months minimum, with a goal of learning how to care properly for my hair. I', in for the long haul!;)

Newbie here and really want to grow out my relaxer. Any and all support
would be helpful. Count me in

Due for a touchup in two weeks -- planning to cancel.
It will be 8 weeks between touchups if I do.

Hairtype is 4a/b

Still learning what the shortcuts mean on this board.
icon7.gif

I want a buddy too!!

My last relaxer was on February 23, 2006.

Not really planning to BC, (too chicken) but I'm planning to gradually cut off the relaxed ends.

Not sure of my hair type, it's mostly wavy and curly around the edges. I'm guessing it's somewhere between 3b/c and 4a.

I have about 3 1/2- 4 inches of new growth right now, and I'm hoping to get another 3 or so inches before spring break and maybe BCing. (only if I stop being a wuss. I don't really see that happening though...)

Welcome to the boards!!:)

oldskoolmomma said:
Newbie here and really want to grow out my relaxer. Any and all support
would be helpful. Count me in

Due for a touchup in two weeks -- planning to cancel.
It will be 8 weeks between touchups if I do.

Hairtype is 4a/b

Still learning what the shortcuts mean on this board.
icon7.gif

I want a buddy, too!:) I'm 16 weeks post, so far so good...my hair was probably 60-70% relaxed which has made the transistioning some what manageable. Since my hair was so mildly relaxed I have been doing wash and go's. My next goal is to learn how to do a consistent braid out, so far it has been hit or miss!:lachen:

Hey Dicapr-

You got a buddy :) . If I plan to wear my hair out (which doesn't happen too frequently), I put a little CURLS milkshake on my edges and then put on a silk scarf for a little while. That usually help me out a lot. I'm not really into putting a lot of gel in my hair because I hate washing my hair. Hope that helps. Or maybe someone else has some suggestions out there? :perplexed

gharp001 said:
I want a buddy, too!:) I'm 16 weeks post, so far so good...my hair was probably 60-70% relaxed which has made the transistioning some what manageable. Since my hair was so mildly relaxed I have been doing wash and go's. My next goal is to learn how to do a consistent braid out, so far it has been hit or miss!:lachen:

Yay, we are the same weeks post. My hair was relaxed BONE STRAIGHT though. I'm jealous of you not being relaxed straight. My hair is shedding and breaking like something CRAZY!!!

walkerca said:
Hey Dicapr-

You got a buddy :) . If I plan to wear my hair out (which doesn't happen too frequently), I put a little CURLS milkshake on my edges and then put on a silk scarf for a little while. That usually help me out a lot. I'm not really into putting a lot of gel in my hair because I hate washing my hair. Hope that helps. Or maybe someone else has some suggestions out there? :perplexed

I have a suggestion! Beyond the Zone Stiff Head found in any Sallys. You just rub some between your palms a little bit and put it on your edges and it makes them look freshly relaxed. I use it when I need to pull my hair back into a ponytail or bun.

Hello ladies Im a long term transitioner too. There's a transitioners support sticky at the top of the forum. LOTS of good info. Ive been transitioning for about a year and a half now. I still dont know what my hair type is :look: I think Im a 4a. :nono: You'd think with all this newgrowth Id know right? Not so... I use crown and glory to grow my hair out and it works pretty well. i do blow outs and braid outs, and twist outs and everything else under the sun to my hair. Plenty of crap in my fotki :lol:

I would like a transiton buddy! I'll be one month post on Saturday. It's not long at all, but I have a lot of NG already. I'm going to transition for at least 15 months, then if I'm comfortable with the length, I'll chop.

Back